• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Still struggling on the oline

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not a great endorsement with as much money and draft picks we have poured into that unit. I do think overall they look better than in years past to me in t he first couple games.
KC has a really good DL...that isn't a huge shock.

RT has been an issue, IMO.

Part of the reason, as well, is the fact that teams simply do not respect the run at all from a scheme standpoint. They realize Taylor will call maybe 1-2 runs per drive - and teams are playing 2 deep, and just bringing heat every snap. When you face a constant pass-rush without the fear of stopping the run, the OL will always struggle, IMO.

One of the best ways Taylor, and this offense, can help both Burrow and the OL is to establish the ground game as part of the actual scheme. In 2 weeks of games, in which neither game was out of hand, and Bengals actually lead in KC....Burrow has attempted 65 passes to just 28 designed runs for the RB's. Burrow has run the ball 10 times, but as far as I can tell, none by design...so that is 10 more passing plays to add to the passing stats.

That's 75 designed passing plays by Taylor and just 28 designed runs from the RB's. That is 27% of all plays called are designed runs. In a game where you might have, let's just say, 50 total offensive plays (round number for easy math...lol)....that's 12 or 13 runs. In 4 quarters of play that's roughly 3 runs a quarter. If you have, let's just say 1.5 drives a quarter...that's 1 designed run per drive. One. Uno.

Why the hell would ANY defense worry about stopping the run against this offense? This is the same/similar ratio that we've seen, and I've harped on, for the past 2 seasons. This line isn't good enough for teams to know nearly 9 of 10 plays is going to be a pass and just pin their ears back and get after. Taylor has to integrate the run game to help both the line and Burrow out. Not to mention, some good runs, and additional runs, would also force safeties back into the box a bit more - opening up deeper passing attempts.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the OL isn't great, but it's not bad. Burrow still needs to do his reads and make a play, throw the ball to the open guy, throw it out of bounds, do something, don't just stand there and risk another injury.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the OL isn't great, but it's not bad. Burrow still needs to do his reads and make a play, throw the ball to the open guy, throw it out of bounds, do something, don't just stand there and risk another injury.
This is the best offensive line he has had. We also get better pass protection from running backs without Mixon around.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, best we have had and we are still ranked like 26-28 by PFF.
I'm curious as to what week 1 grades were, because I *thought* I saw 2 OL in the top 5 graded for PFF...

Assuming for a moment that is the case - I think week 1 was fine, and week 2 was rough. However, you can understand week 2 as KC boast a solid DL, and Spags is a decent DC who knows how to bring pressure at the right time.

Again - I'll continue to point to a lack of any kind of running game by way of play calling that would help to alleviate the issues against a constant pass-rush from other teams...Hard to protect when your scheme doesn't help the QB or the OL and allows the defense to know, with about 85% certainty, that each play is a pass and therefore, they can just get after it play after play...

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, best we have had and we are still ranked like 26-28 by PFF.
It's hard for me to understand that score. Burrow has had decent pockets in both games. In the first game he was indecisive and shaky. In the second game, I thought the passing game worked well. A couple of key drops derailed it and there were two key sacks - But both of those came on third and long, which is going to be a problem with Spags defense (which is why those drops hurt). I also thought a few of those running game blocks were timely. I suppose we could have some awful grades from our redzone running and maybe that is where it comes from.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's hard for me to understand that score. Burrow has had decent pockets in both games. In the first game he was indecisive and shaky. In the second game, I thought the passing game worked well. A couple of key drops derailed it and there were two key sacks - But both of those came on third and long, which is going to be a problem with Spags defense (which is why those drops hurt). I also thought a few of those running game blocks were timely. I suppose we could have some awful grades from our redzone running and maybe that is where it comes from.
I know reading that article, Volson had an 11.0 PFF score and all 5 of the offensive lineman had sub 65.0 ratings in that kc game.