• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Steve Spagnuolo new DC

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bashaud Breeland signs with a cheap 'prove it' deal. I like the talent but I think there is a good shot that he is too injured to make the roster.

Gatorchip

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,015.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The average for Steve Spagnuolo during his career as a DC is he finishes around 25th in yards allowed including worst or second worst 4X during that stretch and 24th in points allowed with 3 times being 30th or worse.
Sounds like quite a catch. I wonder if he can stop three 3rd and 10s in row.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dline looks like its basically set now.

DE: Frank Clark
DT: Chris Jones
DT: Derrick Nnadi
DE: Alex Okafor

Rotation: Breeland Speaks, Tanoh Kpassagnon, Emmanual Ogbah, Xavier Williams

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dline looks like its basically set now.

DE: Frank Clark
DT: Chris Jones
DT: Derrick Nnadi
DE: Alex Okafor

Rotation: Breeland Speaks, Tanoh Kpassagnon, Emmanual Ogbah, Xavier Williams
DL looks good.

Those LB's I might need some bleach for.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DL looks good.

Those LB's I might need some bleach for.
I don't think thats set yet. I think I saw some beat writer suggest the starters will be..

WILL: Damien Wilson
MIKE: Reggie Ragland
SAM: Anthony Hitchens

although my first read of the linebackers would be:

WILL: Dorian O'Daniels
MIKE: Anthony Hitchens
SAM: Damien Wilson

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Darron Lee is an interesting pickup. I think he compliments Hitchens well. It seems like the opposite idea of what they are doing with the dline. Specialized linebackers (Hitchens against the run, Lee in coverage)

Probably puts Do'D on the bench for now. Lee is a plus athlete for coverage and attacking and that is needed.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Darron Lee is an interesting pickup. I think he compliments Hitchens well. It seems like the opposite idea of what they are doing with the dline. Specialized linebackers (Hitchens against the run, Lee in coverage)

Probably puts Do'D on the bench for now. Lee is a plus athlete for coverage and attacking and that is needed.

From afar, the rebuild of the DEF appears to going well from a personnel standpoint. Each level of the DEF looks solid on paper. I think KC will improve on the '18 DEF position, but like every DEF, it starts up front....and getting Clark to go with C. Jones was a big move. Okafor is just okay imo, but overall I like the DL.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From the looks of things in the preseason games, the KC defense hasn't improved that much. Beat the Bengals 38-17, Lost to the Steelers 17-7 and lost to the 49ers 27-17. Offense has scored 62 and the defense has given up 64. Which would you consider to be the biggest problem?

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From the looks of things in the preseason games, the KC defense hasn't improved that much. Beat the Bengals 38-17, Lost to the Steelers 17-7 and lost to the 49ers 27-17. Offense has scored 62 and the defense has given up 64. Which would you consider to be the biggest problem?

Overanalysis of preseason games where Mathieu isn't playing where the scheme is at a pro-bowl level of simplicity... You know that.

Juan Thornhill has looked quite good overall and the run d looks improved; LB's and safeties look much better if we put stock into preseason.

Any concerns about an offense where the QB would be on pace for 6000 30 TDs if extrapolated is probably trolling.

General impression is if they trade for a CB at the deadline, they'll be more than fine on defense.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
General impressions from the relevant preseason:

- Fans are probably overrating Hardman considerably, but he can be a useful WR3 and would be a strong passing option as the 4th wheel. We always knew he was fast and can run a vert.

- Thornhill has legit pro-bowl potential, range, but isn't a finished product by any means (he had his first rookie moments against the 49ers) and will indeed have rookie moments. This is not Earl Thomas or Eric Berry. Probably closer to Byron Jones if he continues the robustly positive trajectory he appears to be on. The Chiefs are very lucky to have gotten him and Watts back. Safety should be pretty damn good on paper this year I think going into week 1. Such a farcry from when Ron Parker and Eric Murray were the top 2 safeties out of camp last year.

CB's: Not much different than last year really on the net. That's fine for the first few weeks until the trade deadline. With the Colts no longer having Luck, the Chiefs schedule feels exceptionally soft the first 9 weeks for a 1st place team in a relatively tough division. They're the favorite for the SB either way, but adding say Patrick Peterson would make it next to indisputable barring a wave of injuries.

Ward's stock is down considerably in this scheme, imo. He's probably the odd man out in the event of a trade.

Offense I am going to say is probably better in terms of roster construction than last year between Hardman>Conley, the emergence of Wylie/Reiter the past year, and the return of Tardif. Last year is a tough act to follow- but this is the better offense if you had to pick a roster between 18 and 19.

I know there's a lot of hype for Darwin Thompson, but that's really not surprising. It just validates why signing Carlos Hyde was always a stupid idea. Darwin might be RB1 and the next Dion Lewis, and he will have earned it most likely, but RB's ain't moving the needle in this NFL, even in Reid's passing game.

Last edited:

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The defense will most likely be weak again.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
General impressions from the relevant preseason:

- Fans are probably overrating Hardman considerably, but he can be a useful WR3 and would be a strong passing option as the 4th wheel. We always knew he was fast and can run a vert.

- Thornhill has legit pro-bowl potential, range, but isn't a finished product by any means (he had his first rookie moments against the 49ers) and will indeed have rookie moments. This is not Earl Thomas or Eric Berry. Probably closer to Byron Jones if he continues the robustly positive trajectory he appears to be on. The Chiefs are very lucky to have gotten him and Watts back. Safety should be pretty damn good on paper this year I think going into week 1. Such a farcry from when Ron Parker and Eric Murray were the top 2 safeties out of camp last year.

CB's: Not much different than last year really on the net. That's fine for the first few weeks until the trade deadline. With the Colts no longer having Luck, the Chiefs schedule feels exceptionally soft the first 9 weeks for a 1st place team in a relatively tough division. They're the favorite for the SB either way, but adding say Patrick Peterson would make it next to indisputable barring a wave of injuries.

Ward's stock is down considerably in this scheme, imo. He's probably the odd man out in the event of a trade.

Offense I am going to say is probably better in terms of roster construction than last year between Hardman>Conley, the emergence of Wylie/Reiter the past year, and the return of Tardif. Last year is a tough act to follow- but this is the better offense if you had to pick a roster between 18 and 19.

I know there's a lot of hype for Darwin Thompson, but that's really not surprising. It just validates why signing Carlos Hyde was always a stupid idea. Darwin might be RB1 and the next Dion Lewis, and he will have earned it most likely, but RB's ain't moving the needle in this NFL, even in Reid's passing game.
About 95% of this could've been written the day after the draft. I'm gonna wager the Chiefs D starts hot against poor competition and gets overrated. They might conceivably not see an above average offense until they play the Packers until week 8, and that will be on SNF in Arrowhead; good luck GB.

Last edited:

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Overanalysis of preseason games where Mathieu isn't playing where the scheme is at a pro-bowl level of simplicity... You know that.

Preseason games 1 & 2 are pretty much look and see. Game 3 is usually and moist often the starters coming out party and has historically been a fairly decent indicator of how a team will generally start a season, not necessarily finish. Singling out the fact that one player is not playing, makes performance even more critical for a team because one cannot bank anything on that player being able to perform when the games count.

Using that same idea, the Patriots have not had Edelman or Thomas on the field and have won all three preseason games fairly easily. Does that mean they will be even more difficult to beat when the games count??

Overanalysis is better at this point than hoping one person will make a difference.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Preseason games 1 & 2 are pretty much look and see. Game 3 is usually and moist often the starters coming out party and has historically been a fairly decent indicator of how a team will generally start a season, not necessarily finish. Singling out the fact that one player is not playing, makes performance even more critical for a team because one cannot bank anything on that player being able to perform when the games count.

Using that same idea, the Patriots have not had Edelman or Thomas on the field and have won all three preseason games fairly easily. Does that mean they will be even more difficult to beat when the games count??

Overanalysis is better at this point than hoping one person will make a difference.
So goes the cliche. There's very little actual data to support your assertion. Starters left the game 10-7 if we want to play that game.

I am really not basing it on any one player is the thing for improvement:

I am basing it on the removal of Sutton (Hitchens performance in Dallas' schemings versus Sutton's was blatant and necessitated action in concert with the rest of the defense)

I am basing it on the additions of Juan Thornhill, Mathieu, Bashaud Breeland, Darron Lee, Damien Wilson, the return of Armani Watts from injury and Emmanuel Ogbah. Clark/Okafor versus Ford/Houston is a wash with injuries being a major factor for the latter duo (Ford is already hurt).

I have no qualms with saying the defense will be noticeably better- particularly the run defense based on about 6-7 new names to the lineup. Eric Murray and Ron Parker were the opening day safeties last year for the Chiefs; they'd be safeties 6 and 7 if they were on the roster today.

Is the defense going to be good? Probably not, but it very easily can be 20th as it stands now. They aren't going to be a bottom 5 unit unless they're wasted by injuries.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So goes the cliche. There's very little actual data to support your assertion. Starters left the game 10-7 if we want to play that game.
Right.

I'm not overly optimistic about the defense but its impossible to suggest the defense will be bad based on preseason.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right.

I'm not overly optimistic about the defense but its impossible to suggest the defense will be bad based on preseason.
Yeah, right now I am moreso looking for guys who are just flat flunking like Carlos Hyde.

It's not an earthshattering revelation that Sorensen is a poor tackler for instance. Feels kind of weird to think Sorensen might be the 5th best safety currently on the roster.

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, right now I am moreso looking for guys who are just flat flunking like Carlos Hyde.

It's not an earthshattering revelation that Sorensen is a poor tackler for instance. Feels kind of weird to think Sorensen might be the 5th best safety currently on the roster.

shake my head every time i see he's still on our roster...