• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Steelers ready to move on from Big Ben

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well this isn't what I thought would happen. But I'm content with it so long as they can massively reduce his cap hit. He still has plenty of arm left to play at a high level, but making him throw 40+ times per game should no longer be in the cards. As I stated many times last year, they needed to refocus on the run game to increase Ben's arm longevity. That didn't happen and the result was a tired old man down the stretch late in the year. Plus nobody was fooled when they couldn't even run the ball for 50yds per game. Being that 1-dimensional, plus having a cast of receivers with the highest drop rates in the NFL... Yea it was spelling disaster long before their quick exit in the postseason.

New OC & new OL should help rejuvenate this offense. But what concerns me is that Ben isn't capable of doing PA & boot passes effectively anymore... Which is Matt Canada's bread & butter. Keeping Ben here means they will be hindering Canada's offensive schemes next year.
That's almost exactly my take.

I keep hearing about his arm being shot. It's not what it was but it's still good enough. I'm way more concerned with his lack of mobility now. If I had to pick one thing that sunk this team down the stretch it was that offensive line and the running game. Not Ben.

Worried about hindering the new offense too.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I keep hearing about his arm being shot. It's not what it was but it's still good enough. I'm way more concerned with his lack of mobility now. If I had to pick one thing that sunk this team down the stretch it was that offensive line and the running game. Not Ben.

I agree. The arm concerns me not inly with the zip on the ball, but the accuracy.... thats the concern. The reps need to come down alot for him to survive. Im content as can be if he comes back. Sans signing a big name FA name....only shot we have. The line may get him buried though....

side note... wasnt it dulac who initially reported this? Hes been a but wish washy for a while hasn't he ? Am i thinking of someone else?

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

A pathetic strawman a 10 year old can debunk.

I value their pass blocking far, far, far more than their runblocking, which is probably closer to average/above average. I am literally the RBDM guy, and you seriously were dense enough to come at me with this?

The reason the Steelers were 31st is purely choice, a not irrational choice given the gap between passing and rushing, and the non-existent effect of setting up the pass with the run. It's not as though James Conner plain ole sucks and is Trent Richardson out there.

Correct. As rushing isn't as valuable as passing, as I've said many, many, many times. It's the intelligent decision to make, provided you aren't sitting on a lead and trying to salt the game away; and yes there are other circumstances, but that's the main and obvious one.
There's a moose at third, bridgeburner, and fountain city blues all thought that the Steelers poor run blocking was by choice.....https://sportshoop.la/threads/nfl-network-coming-after-steelers-offense.285362/page-2

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well this isn't what I thought would happen. But I'm content with it so long as they can massively reduce his cap hit. He still has plenty of arm left to play at a high level, but making him throw 40+ times per game should no longer be in the cards. As I stated many times last year, they needed to refocus on the run game to increase Ben's arm longevity. That didn't happen and the result was a tired old man down the stretch late in the year. Plus nobody was fooled when they couldn't even run the ball for 50yds per game. Being that 1-dimensional, plus having a cast of receivers with the highest drop rates in the NFL... Yea it was spelling disaster long before their quick exit in the postseason.

New OC & new OL should help rejuvenate this offense. But what concerns me is that Ben isn't capable of doing PA & boot passes effectively anymore... Which is Matt Canada's bread & butter. Keeping Ben here means they will be hindering Canada's offensive schemes next year.
I know that is going to be the hope - and maybe it happens....

But I really think this hurts the Steelers long-term more than does anything. If we are being honest - even with Ben back and even if they re-signed everyone, and even if they added a F/A or two...I'm not sold this is a team that advances in the playoffs or makes a serious super-bowl run - because I don't think Ben has a 16-game arm/body anymore not to mention playoffs against better defenses. For a franchise that has always been about "Super Bowls" - it seems like they are allowing their sentimental feelings to cloud their judgement to allow for 1 more run with Ben knowing that the outcome isn't likely to be a Championship.

I just find this approach interesting as it is the antithesis to how Pitt typically runs their franchise, even with great players. Pitt has always survived by making these tough decisions when the time came. The fact that they aren't doing that this time around would give me a lot of pause, personally.

Going to be an interesting year in the AFCN, for sure.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's a moose at third, bridgeburner, and fountain city blues all thought that the Steelers poor run blocking was by choice.....https://sportshoop.la/threads/nfl-network-coming-after-steelers-offense.285362/page-2
When you have to bump a thread from 2019 to make a point about an OL, you're throwing darts.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When you have to bump a thread from 2019 to make a point about an OL, you're throwing darts.
Not at all. Do you still think that the Steelers run blocking is "good" or whatever? You are deflecting!
I called this out last season and it hasn't gotten better. The handwriting was on the wall.
Now folks are talking about it like it's something new.

Deflect away!

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not at all. Do you still think that the Steelers run blocking is "good" or whatever? You are deflecting!
I called this out last season and it hasn't gotten better. The handwriting was on the wall.
Now folks are talking about it like it's something new.

Deflect away!
Not in 2021.

"If you just wait for the veteran OL to deteriorate and get older, performance will decline"

You're like the chicken little who waits for a disaster and proclaims himself correct after being wrong the first 10 times.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not in 2021.

"If you just wait for the veteran OL to deteriorate and get older, performance will decline"

You're like the chicken little who waits for a disaster and proclaims himself correct after being wrong the first 10 times.
It has only been 1 season from discussion. You want to count an unplayed 2021 season? LOL.

For the record, this is not something I have proclaimed for 10 years. I noted it last year and it is now recognized....

@SteelersPride, @YankeeRebel @Bridgeburner you want in on this too?

.https://sportshoop.la/threads/nfl-network-coming-after-steelers-offense.285362/page-2

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It has only been 1 season from discussion. You want to count an unplayed 2021 season? LOL.

For the record, this is not something I have proclaimed for 10 years. I noted it last year and it is now recognized....

.https://sportshoop.la/threads/nfl-network-coming-after-steelers-offense.285362/page-2
A lot changes in 1 season.

So, no, I do not grant you your cookie.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The offensive line for the Steelers really did decline unusually fast to be honest.
It seemed like there was a lot of continuity for a long time. When that happens, it's probably not unexpected that the decline starts to happen in a quick manner. As one guy goes, the other guys are not far behind. Once there's a crack in the damn, and guys aren't as able to fill those cracks as they once used to - the break comes quick.

Honestly, that reminds me of OL's like the Bengals in the 80's into the 90's and then Dallas as well. The continuity was great, and had a great stretch run of being really, really good. When the end came for 1, it seemed like it just came for them all over the span of a few years and suddenly - what was once a great strength is suddenly a major weakness.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

well. I admit you had some good points. I still think there is a shred of validity in both sides of the argument.....

I believe the Steelers run blocking is overrated. Why does a KC fan attack this so vehemently?

He shows his colors when he talks DVOA is so important (I recognize it is a useful tool)

Kansas City is rated #1 DVOA for 2018. That is cocaine to a KC fan

Nothing to do with the Patriots winning the AFCCG against KC!

KC beat NE last year in DVOA! Whoo - hoo!
Forgive me here, I quoted this one.......Going back and forth between the threads, I kinda lost where this all started. Yes I believe in 2018 we still had great run blocking, in 2019, waffling.......the play-calling played a huge role in it. We still had a great O-line, just was used poorly, I know thats a loaded statement, I know. 2020 I dont care who was on our line, with duck hodges and mason rudolph they werent running on anyone. Also the jets game that was pointed out, IIRC the jets run d is and was stellar, despite a horribly team.....but yeah , injuries also wore in, and continued poor scheming, and as the year went out, declining play. This year, the line detoriated, the schemes were bad, and we passed 40-60 times a game....we did that, because WE COULDNT BLOCK. The issue WAS NOT JAMES CONNER, the issue was our line.

So......does that give anything? lol.....
Moncrief will be a good enough #2.

They're average all around, but the line is good.
BAHAHHA another quality prediction. saw this in the thread @Southieinnc linked.......man seriously a few of the eagles fans, honestly have to try to be wrong this often.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks @Bridgeburner and @SteelersPride for acknowledging my comments on the state of the Steelers run blocking had validity.
Interesting that the KC fan was the one that was too arogant to admit his criticism was misplaced.
Suggesting that the Steelers were 31st in run blocking by choice is ludicrous IMHO.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks @Bridgeburner and @SteelersPride for acknowledging my comments on the state of the Steelers run blocking had validity.
Interesting that the KC fan was the one that was too arogant to admit his criticism was misplaced.
Suggesting that the Steelers were 31st in run blocking by choice is ludicrous IMHO.
Last year....oof they tried, they tried and failed. So fling the ball they did.

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. The arm concerns me not inly with the zip on the ball, but the accuracy.... thats the concern. The reps need to come down alot for him to survive. Im content as can be if he comes back. Sans signing a big name FA name....only shot we have. The line may get him buried though....

side note... wasnt it dulac who initially reported this? Hes been a but wish washy for a while hasn't he ? Am i thinking of someone else?
I have no idea man.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah i dunnoi think thats part of it....but just fatigue..... eh. Generally just fatigue doesnt have THAT much drop off and loss of control as well
It's concerning but maybe Ben just hit a wall. Maybe with a normal off-season that arm strength will be back.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's concerning but maybe Ben just hit a wall. Maybe with a normal off-season that arm strength will be back.
Yeah thats my hope, it can definitely happen post injury like that...despite all the “best medical”, “treatments are so advanced” things the media pumps and fans buy into ...

the big comcern is age coupled with that die out. Age can hamper recovery, and age can limit recovery.

Pure Steel

Hoopla Cash
$ 402.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So much for moving on......