• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Steelers Divisonal

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Congrats on the great season KC faithful! Helluva game for both teams. CL67 said it best though, lots of little mistakes that were ultimately their undoing.

Good luck this offseason and hopefully its a short offseason at that! KC will be right back on top of their division next year.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Completely unacceptable. This season is now a failure. The Jekyll and Hyde offense strikes again. Run D optional.

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
good game, Chiefs fans, your boys made this Steeler fan sweat bullets tonight; I'm still not sure how we were able to go the entire game without giving up a return TD to Hill, I was sure he was getting at least one on us. I truly hate when Pittsburgh has to play in Arrowhead.

Anyway, look forward to seeing your squad play next season, should be another good year in KC.:salute:

Gatorchip

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,015.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chiefs swept the AFC West and won the division. Then fell flat on their face again.

This went as i expected. They typical gameplay of KC stops once it hits the playoffs.

I can't remember the last time I felt confident that the Chiefs would get a playoff win.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Quarterback grade: Alex Smith, 82.4

Smith rarely under pressure

Alex Smith took a few more deep shots down the field than he averaged over the regular season. He was off-target on a few, but also had a couple of well-placed ones, including a deep pass to tight end Travis Kelce that was dropped. He also had a few nice intermediate throws, but the majority of the Chiefs’ passing game revolved around the line of scrimmage, as usual. Nearly one-third of his completions came on passes thrown behind the line scrimmage, and 16 of 29 targeted passes were under 10 yards downfield.

Top offensive grades:

QB Alex Smith, 82.4

RT Mitchell Schwartz, 81.8

RG Laurent Duvernay-Tardif, 79.3

LT Eric Fisher, 72.0

TE Travis Kelce, 67.9

Offense fails to outscore touchdown-less Steelers

Anytime the opposing team is held without a touchdown, it gives you a pretty good shot at winning. However, Kansas City managed just three scores on the night, and a disastrous holding penalty by LT Eric Fisher on the successful two-point conversion hurt the Chiefs’ chances of tying it up at the end. Tight end Travis Kelce finished the game with five catches for 77 yards, but he disappeared for long stretches of time and his dropped pass would have put the Chiefs in the red zone, and instead they never got past the 30-yard line on that drive. Wideouts Jeremy Maclin and Albert Wilson also dropped passes, and the former had just two catches for 28 yards. Kansas City did OK when running the ball, but Spencer Ware was only given eight carries and Tyreek Hill three. They couldn’t sustain drives in the first half, and when they could later in the game, they still abandoned the run.

Top defensive grades:

LB Ramik Wilson, 83.9

CB Marcus Peters, 82.5

CB Steven Nelson, 82.0

CB Terrance Mitchell, 76.3

OLB Frank Zombo, 74.8

Feeling the loss of Derrick Johnson

One can’t help but wonder if things would have gone differently if Kansas City’s veteran linebacker was still healthy. Terrance Smith was a complete non-factor after getting bumped up the depth chart. He was walked off the line of scrimmage multiple times by the Steelers’ interior linemen. Ramik Wilson played well in his stead, registering five stops, but even he got sealed out multiple times at the second level, creating big plays.

Nothing all that surprising watching the game besides an overly rosy view of Smith's outing, imo. Need a 2nd ILB, and DJ can't be trusted to be the 1st. They got lucky with Wilson emerging however as the S-ILB, looks like a keeper. Tardiff has improved gradually throughout his career. Curious as to what the FO's internal opinion is of him going into his last year. Wonder what graduating from Med School means for him and the Chiefs?

Last edited:

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing all that surprising watching the game besides an overly rosy view of Smith's outing, imo. Need a 2nd ILB, and DJ can't be trusted to be the 1st. They got lucky with Wilson emerging however as the S-ILB, looks like a keeper. Tardiff has improved gradually throughout his career. Curious as to what the FO's internal opinion is of him going into his last year. Wonder what graduating from Med School means for him and the Chiefs?
By saying Alex Smith was the best player they are basically saying everyone stunk together.

172 yards on 34 attempts at home against a middle of the pack defense. Thats not getting it done especially when he was rarely under pressure.

If Alex Smith isnt a game changer with his legs then its time to move on, imo. What he is doing is relatively easy stuff that at least 20 guys in the NFL could do no problem. Will it be difficult for the Chiefs to find an upgrade? A bit but I really do think this is as far as he can get a team without a real, elite defense and thats even harder to get and keep in a salary cap era.

A couple of drops, a couple of misses and a couple of OL flags. It doesn't sound like an Alex Smith issue but you've touched on it many times before. The team basically has to play exceptionally well because Alex Smith can't carry a team on his shoulders.

The most troublesome thing about this is that there is zero mention of Dontari Poe. I fail to see why he has earned a big payday.