• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

POLL Steelers are parting ways with Leveon Bell

What what you would give up for Bell?

• a 1st round pick

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • 2 #2's

Votes: 3 75.0%

• Total voters

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And in the long run it really won’t hurt the Steelers.

I don’t like that. I really don’t. I’ve always leaned much more heavily to players over owners rights on most things.

But it is reality.
The Steelers are being rocked to the core by this. Long lasting implications for every player that's trying to get paid there in the future. Ben is retiring soon. Brown was whiny. That team goes straight into the shitter from here.

They should have simply paid him and avoided the drama. They certainly use him enough to warrant.

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Steelers are being rocked to the core by this. Long lasting implications for every player that's trying to get paid there in the future. Ben is retiring soon. Brown was whiny. That team goes straight into the shitter from here.

They should have simply paid him and avoided the drama. They certainly use him enough to warrant.

No disagreement from me. Bell should have been paid. At the same time....we don’t know just what the Steelers were offering for long term of exactly what he expected. Can’t say he wasn’t offered a fair market deal and played hard ball for more.

It certainly has rocked them. Another reason I don’t want such a risk on the Eagles.

Northern Eagle

Hangin' With The Homeboys
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now the latest rumor (Jason LaCanfora) is that the "sleeper" team interested in acquiring Bell is our own Philadelphia Eagles! In his scenario, Howie will trade Foles for a pick (it doesn't matter how high), thus increasing the cap room to accommodate trading for and negotiating a new deal for Bell.

Just reporting.

If there are any legs to this at all, I'd rather us be a sleeper team for Earl Thomas. Granted there would be higher compensation involved for Thomas but I think we need ET more than we need Bell.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No disagreement from me. Bell should have been paid. At the same time....we don’t know just what the Steelers were offering for long term of exactly what he expected. Can’t say he wasn’t offered a fair market deal and played hard ball for more.

It certainly has rocked them. Another reason I don’t want such a risk on the Eagles.
The Steelers tried to pretend Bell had no leverage. They sowed this and get to reap the drama.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If there are any legs to this at all, I'd rather us be a sleeper team for Earl Thomas. Granted there would be higher compensation involved for Thomas but I think we need ET more than we need Bell.
Move Jenkins for Bell and move a pick for Thomas.

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This! Especially with McLeod out rest of year now. Not sure if ET and Jenkins play same Safety position....but I am sure they could work it out. This would be a player that would want to come play for sure. Not sure if we could...problem is his cap # is 10.4M this year. Currently we have almost $4.6M in cap space. I am sure we couldn't get them to take Foles' $13.6M cap number in return for giving us ET....they aren't starving for QB. Best I could see is BG for ET (and likely us still giving up a mid round pick next year).

Also...while I am looking.....Arizona would end up 1.5M over the cap if they took Foles for DJ. So....even if they might be interested this would need to be figured out.

Nice to dream about....but I think we are most surely trudging forward with Ajayi, Sproles, Clement and Smallwood.

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Move Jenkins for Bell and move a pick for Thomas.

$4.5M in current cap space.
Bell would need at least the franchise amount he balked at with Pitt to finish this year. Or to be signed long term (a contract we should not take on right now with BG needing to be redone and Wentz big pay day coming up).
Thomas would be $10.4M cap hit.

If LeVeon took $14M this year that would leave us ~$20M over the cap when it was all said and done.

Not so easy.....

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard the Eagles actually have around 11 mil of free space to add a player.

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard the Eagles actually have around 11 mil of free space to add a player.
I looked at SportsTrac (shows $5.3M) and OverTheCap (shows $4.6M). What it doesnt show is when last update was made.

So....totally possible that they have $11M. This could absorb Thomas if they are making calls. DJ absolutely fits if they can get him for picks (I hope they don't). But it wouldn't get them both, and pretty sure it wouldn't get the remainder of the year out of Bell.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I looked at SportsTrac (shows $5.3M) and OverTheCap (shows $4.6M). What it doesnt show is when last update was made.

So....totally possible that they have $11M. This could absorb Thomas if they are making calls. DJ absolutely fits if they can get him for picks (I hope they don't). But it wouldn't get them both, and pretty sure it wouldn't get the remainder of the year out of Bell.
You sign them both quick and kick the can down the road. We're trying to go back to back here and squeeze as many of these championships in before we gotta pay Wentz and while Cox is in his prime.

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You sign them both quick and kick the can down the road. We're trying to go back to back here and squeeze as many of these championships in before we gotta pay Wentz and while Cox is in his prime.

You make a good note on "win now". I have really been carrying a vision of being competitive and in the running for as long as possible. As it pertains to being competitive yearly for as long as possible the sweet spot is now....but the sweet spot can be now and for the next decade. I think the goal with the org is to stay in the mix as long as possible....as many shots into the playoffs as possible. Because....it is football and you need as many shots as possible to break through and have a chance for more SB trophies.

I want Thomas back there with Jenkins for sure. But I would have concern about "kicking the can down the road" when we have a good bit to do, cap wise, the next few years.

I don't know....I am looking at the cap sites and trying to make a vision of where we are at (for instance....we are way over next years cap at this point, but Foles has a mutual agreement for over $20M cap hit next year...not sure what that means). Probably need a good cap-ologist to help explain it. It might not be as tight as it seems.

Best thing to say is that if we can get Thomas I trust that Howie can make it work into the future cap and what we need to do in the future to remain competitive.

Mike A. S.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't give up anything close to that for him. Instead I'd spend a 3rd or 4th round pick on a RB that fits my system and doesn't have a ton of mileage on him and he'll do just as good or better than Bell. That being said, we have Fournette and I don't even want Bell anyway, lol.

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NFL is changing philosophy on RB's ... there are fewer and fewer backfields where one guy does all the work. Coaches prefer to use a rotation to keep players fresh and producing better on a per carry basis while keeping expenses down on the position. If at the end of the day 3 Back's numbers equal the same output you get from the 1 superstar then you're ok. Not great for fantasy football, but it's efficient and cheaper. Plus RB is the easiest position to replace ... James Conner may not be putting up Le'Veon numbers, but it's not so much of a drop off where it's hurting the team.

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We do need to upgrade the RB's though. We can't depend on the ones we have.

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Word is that either the Eagles or Patriots will wind up with Bell. Both need a bell-cow (pun intended) RB this year. If we get him, we can compete with the Rams and Saints this year. Even if he leaves after this year, we can get a 3rd round comp pick next year. I would do it for a 3rd round [pick in the next draft. I think it's a "no-brainer".

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Word is that either the Eagles or Patriots will wind up with Bell. Both need a bell-cow (pun intended) RB this year. If we get him, we can compete with the Rams and Saints this year. Even if he leaves after this year, we can get a 3rd round comp pick next year. I would do it for a 3rd round [pick in the next draft. I think it's a "no-brainer".

I still think it’s no where near a no brainer.

Too much negative noise and question marks around this guy.

Yeah....he damn sure can play. But the rest is just not appealing.

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I still think it’s no where near a no brainer.

Too much negative noise and question marks around this guy. One question I have had is with the cap. Maybe it is at $11M at this time....but I have only been able to find $4-$6M range. Reading up the other day....if Bell comes into Pitt like it is being planned he would be in under the transition tag and could have a cap number right at that $11M. My understanding is he would either need to sign that before a trade....IIRC. So we might have to work to move some salary to do it. Maybe that is simple....maybe it is not.

So we move....what....our first rounder for him? Possible they take one of the #2's, but that might not do it. Let's say it is 1st. We are trading a 1st for the backup of a 3rd in next draft (when he walks...not if....we cannot afford what he wants to be paid with big extensions coming). Figure on another week or two to solidify the deal. Another few weeks to get him in and get him up to speed (I am totally walking past the playbook absorption). Its certainly possible he is up to full speed in time for the last quarter of the season and playoffs. That could help.

But again....what cost? Who do we move to clear money? And is Howie really willing to swap a 1st for a 3rd next year for an extremely short rental who might or might not fit in for those games?

And...slim as it is....does Bell show up at all? He would need to sign the tender to make the trade happen. I think he is ready to do that. But does he then try to hold out to use the "leverage" of the rest of the season to try to force the Eagles to give him his big extension? Slim as it is that is one of many concerns.

Yeah....he damn sure can play. But the rest is just not appealing to me. We do not have a good RB situation...this is true. Still....I feel better about a team that is building for sustained success over the next decade and avoiding the extremely short term home run hitter rental...no matter how well he hits home runs.

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I realize that, but as you said - he can play. Not only that, but is may be the 2nd best RB in the NFL. He can help us get back to the SB - and win it. Doug said that the sky isn't falling, but it is. We could be 0-4, easier than 4-0. The defense right now - sucks. The O-Line is mediocre. Carson doesn't have enough weapons. Ertz is great, and Jeffrey is real good. But Nelson seems to be regressing (again). Hollins (although unproven) may not return this year. Sproles is still hurt. Peters is showing his age. BG may have lost a step. Long is slow. Cox is great, but Jernigan can't stay healthy (the reason why the Ravens traded him). Mills (I Like, but he gets beaten too much).
Have I said enough? Look, last year filled my bucket list, but we should win, and we' don't look like a defending SB team. Go ahead and criticize me!

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No, I'll give you some reasons why they did good to hold their ground with a very solid contract offer.

Long lasting...this is BS, every Steeler star player of recent (last decade) has gotten a long term deal from the Steelers except for Bell and I don't want to drag the negotiation out again, but they made a good faith effort to sign him...it came down to guaranteed money and they decided to hold firm on their policy of sign bonus plus 1st yr of the new contract as guarantees. Bell will probably get a little more in guarantees from his new team, but they will most like have some roster bonuses (not true guarantees) in there like Gurley's deal...will it be enough to offset the money he's losing every week? IDT so.

Needs...PIT made some mistake here imo. After they could not come to a long term agreement with Bell LY, they should've traded him and tacked on a little bit more and put that money into a proven CB and a proven FS via FA and they would be a better team.

Shitter...No push back on that...barring a major turn of events, I think Tomlin could have his 1st, < .500 season...but the DEF is a complete dumpster fire...Not much Bell can do about that if he's getting on the field down 2 possessions.

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I realize that, but as you said - he can play. Not only that, but is may be the 2nd best RB in the NFL. He can help us get back to the SB - and win it. Doug said that the sky isn't falling, but it is. We could be 0-4, easier than 4-0. The defense right now - sucks. The O-Line is mediocre. Carson doesn't have enough weapons. Ertz is great, and Jeffrey is real good. But Nelson seems to be regressing (again). Hollins (although unproven) may not return this year. Sproles is still hurt. Peters is showing his age. BG may have lost a step. Long is slow. Cox is great, but Jernigan can't stay healthy (the reason why the Ravens traded him). Mills (I Like, but he gets beaten too much).
Have I said enough? Look, last year filled my bucket list, but we should win, and we' don't look like a defending SB team. Go ahead and criticize me!

Well said. No way in hell I am going to criticize. Because.....no one knows how this would play out. It is all opinions. We are not going to hold the same opinion here....except that Bell is a great player. But I respect it. I just think:

The sky is not falling
It is just as possible we could be 4-0 over 0-4. More possible we could easily be 1-3 than 3-1.
Bell doesn't help the defense.
Could be debatable that Bell could help the O-line (we still topped 100 yds a game again last week)
Nelly regressing....one instance doesn't make a trend
I plan on nothing from Hollins (still not totally something Bell could fix)
I will agree on Sproles....I think he is done.

We both clearly want to win. But, for me, SB win or not, I don't like to mortgage the future for now in any way.

In the end.....the Eagles are totally in this conversation. If we pull off getting him I hope I am wrong on EVERYTHING and he helps us glide to a repeat.