• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Steeler 2020 Free Agents...Who Stays, Who Goes?

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/pittsburgh-steelers/

I'm not going to bore you with all of these guys, but there are some interesting decisions Tomlin needs to make.

Starters

Vance McDonald...30, iirc he's about $6 mil on the cap...I say no.

Bud Dupree...27, currently on the 5th yr option for $9 mil...this is a scary one...9.5 sacks and a host of splash plays this season. The top of the market for OLBs will be in the $15 to 19 mil per...I'd like him around $10 to $12 mil per...he's still the #2 edge rusher....Stays.

Javon Hargrave...27, we've said it for a long time, he's going to get offers in the $10 mil per range from a 43 DEF front and PIT just cannot pay that for a 2 down DL...I want to keep him, but they can't put $30 mil per in the DL...I think he goes elsewhere I hope not BAL or another AFCN team..

Mike Hilton...26, another tough one. He's one of the top slot CBs in the game, but they still have Sutton on his rookie deal and he's developed enough to take over...Hilton goes

Key Guys

BJ Finney...28, the versatile interior guy that is creeping up in age, but he has several prime years left...time to give him the LG job long term...Stays, they release Foster he's the '20 starter...(I hope)

Matt Feiler...28, they will pay one of the OL positions FA money, not both. I think they like the RT depth and will I think they let Feiler test the FA market. Goes...Chuks or Banner plugs in at RT.

Zach Banner...26, idk what his complete status is, but if they let Feiler walk I think he becomes more valuable. Stays, team friendly deal.

Thoughts?

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2020 NFL Free Agents Tracker

I'm not going to bore you with all of these guys, but there are some interesting decisions Tomlin needs to make.

Starters

Vance McDonald...30, iirc he's about $6 mil on the cap...I say no.

Bud Dupree...27, currently on the 5th yr option for $9 mil...this is a scary one...9.5 sacks and a host of splash plays this season. The top of the market for OLBs will be in the $15 to 19 mil per...I'd like him around $10 to $12 mil per...he's still the #2 edge rusher....Stays.

Javon Hargrave...27, we've said it for a long time, he's going to get offers in the $10 mil per range from a 43 DEF front and PIT just cannot pay that for a 2 down DL...I want to keep him, but they can't put $30 mil per in the DL...I think he goes elsewhere I hope not BAL or another AFCN team..

Mike Hilton...26, another tough one. He's one of the top slot CBs in the game, but they still have Sutton on his rookie deal and he's developed enough to take over...Hilton goes

Key Guys

BJ Finney...28, the versatile interior guy that is creeping up in age, but he has several prime years left...time to give him the LG job long term...Stays, they release Foster he's the '20 starter...(I hope)

Matt Feiler...28, they will pay one of the OL positions FA money, not both. I think they like the RT depth and will I think they let Feiler test the FA market. Goes...Chuks or Banner plugs in at RT.

Zach Banner...26, idk what his complete status is, but if they let Feiler walk I think he becomes more valuable. Stays, team friendly deal.

Thoughts?
I'm on board with everything you have here. It would suck to see Hargrave and Hilton go but unless they come massively less than expected, there's really little choice.

I'm nervous about Dupree. He's played well enough that I don't want to lose him. But I'm worried about giving him a long term contract. I think the franchise tag might be tailor-made for this situation.

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know it wont be a popular opinion on here, but I'm not so sure I buy Bud Dupree's performance for the long-term. I could easily see him giving us the Lamar Woodley treatment, a.k.a. getting paid and going back to being a worthless slug. I'd let some other team give him some ridiculous deal and not chase him, and make his replacement either via free agency or draft, a top priority.

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know it wont be a popular opinion on here, but I'm not so sure I buy Bud Dupree's performance for the long-term. I could easily see him giving us the Lamar Woodley treatment, a.k.a. getting paid and going back to being a worthless slug. I'd let some other team give him some ridiculous deal and not chase him, and make his replacement either via free agency or draft, a top priority.
No, I'm super worried about him being a contract year wunderkind, than settling back to the old production.​

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Actually it might be more popular than you think.

I'm all for the players making the money if they are worthy and even if they're not worthy (if they make it somewhere else) it doesn't bother me much.

This is one of those situations where you make him what you think is a fair offer, and if it's not good enough you're prepared to move on.

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd feel a lot better about it if he did it another year (on the tag). But only if the contract doesn't interfere with signing Watt longterm.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed with all the above. They should be able to replace Hargrave. Probably won’t match the production but should find someone serviceable. Buggs could be that guy, who knows. Getting Tuitt back healthy will be a huge boost to the D line regardless.

Hilton leaving sucks. But as you said, Sutton can fill in immediately. Really wish they had just paid Hilton prior to this. He has earned it many times over.

Having AB’s hit off the books will help them retain talent.

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually it might be more popular than you think.

I'm all for the players making the money if they are worthy and even if they're not worthy (if they make it somewhere else) it doesn't bother me much.

This is one of those situations where you make him what you think is a fair offer, and if it's not good enough you're prepared to move on.

yes, you said it better than i did. fair offer for him...not going to break the bank or try and make him leaps and bounds the highest paid at his position. if he can get that from another suitor, so be it.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yes, you said it better than i did. fair offer for him...not going to break the bank or try and make him leaps and bounds the highest paid at his position. if he can get that from another suitor, so be it.
This is where I’m at with Dupree. He’ll want to max out in FA and I’m not really thinkin he’s worth more than $10-12m per year. Good player, but paying him top dollar based on 1 year of good play is a sketchy.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is where I’m at with Dupree. He’ll want to max out in FA and I’m not really thinkin he’s worth more than $10-12m per year. Good player, but paying him top dollar based on 1 year of good play is a sketchy.

Dupree...from the little I've heard...there are some people in the building that truly felt he had more than what he showed the previous 4 seasons. At the same time there are some others that felt Bud was simply the best ROLB option they had so they had to pay him the 5th yr.

That tells me there are some people in the building that are as surprised as we are at Bud's performance this season...I don't see them breaking the bank, but they will likely make him an offer.

The bigger question imo is will a cap rich team throw top of the market money at him for a one strong season? If that happens, he's gone and they will probably regret signing him. If the market is moderate for Bud, there's a good chance he's back.

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When was the last time the market was moderate for a young successful (even just for a year) pass rusher?

Tag his ass and don't let the market have a say. Says me. :D

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dupree...from the little I've heard...there are some people in the building that truly felt he had more than what he showed the previous 4 seasons. At the same time there are some others that felt Bud was simply the best ROLB option they had so they had to pay him the 5th yr.

That tells me there are some people in the building that are as surprised as we are at Bud's performance this season...I don't see them breaking the bank, but they will likely make him an offer.

The bigger question imo is will a cap rich team throw top of the market money at him for a one strong season? If that happens, he's gone and they will probably regret signing him. If the market is moderate for Bud, there's a good chance he's back.
Once Seattle signs Clowney long term it’s really just a 2-3 horse race for the edge pool. Shaq Barrett coming off a DPOY candidacy should put him in the spotlight. Dupree & Fowler Jr are next in line, unless someone goes after Jamie Collins or Vic Beasley.

OLB
Jadeveon Clowney... Not going anywhere given the trade haul Seattle gave up. But for now, he's a pending UFA.
Shaq Barrett... What a year this guy is having. Young & pricey.
Bud Dupree... For all the grief we give him, he's still having a decent year. I don't want the Steelers to overpay.
Dante Fowler Jr... To me he's a Bud Dupree type player. Output doesn't necessarily match the athleticism.
Jamie Collins... Consistent guy, inside or out. Aged (30) & could come at a decent price. Scheme dependent?
Robert Quinn... 4-3 DE, but could easily transition to OLB.
Whitney Mercilus... Not really a premier FA, but a dependable guy. Will turn 31 offseason.
Vic Beasley... Another 4-3 DE. Risky, but still young & talented.

steelerssb

Once banned on CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 297.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ideally Bud gets the tag, plays through it without issue and walks after 2020 as a Super Bowl champion. Having that pass rusher is crucial for this team's title hopes with Ben returning and I would be for spending next year going for it and letting him walk.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When was the last time the market was moderate for a young successful (even just for a year) pass rusher?

Tag could be in play. However if the tag were to be used, then going by history for the Steelers they would intend to offer him top dollar contract. They don’t ever use the tag just to buy someone on a 1yr rental.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm on board with everything you have here. It would suck to see Hargrave and Hilton go but unless they come massively less than expected, there's really little choice.

I'm nervous about Dupree. He's played well enough that I don't want to lose him. But I'm worried about giving him a long term contract. I think the franchise tag might be tailor-made for this situation.

It is an ideal tag situation. With TJ looming for '22 they don't have a ton of time to secure Bud long term, they can only afford one tag.

My guess is shortly after they exercise the 5th yr on TJ they will also start working on his extension and will probably announce that before the 5th yr is played. This will be a top of the market cap hit so I'm starting to think they will be looking to phase out (or lessen his CH) Heyward after his '20 season...maybe they extend him at a cap friendly deal for 2 yrs if he's still playing at this level.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Moderate FA market...good point.

IMO, the top of the market will likely be Clowney and Barrett. We'll have to see how some of these other edge FAs fare. Quinn is on the threshold of 30. Fowler at one point was probably considered a higher level player than Dupree, but looks like a 2nd tier kind of guy.

The only part about tagging him...if no long term offer is made, we're looking at a one yr deal most likely.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BJ Finney needs to start over Foster. I'm tired of seeing Foster completely blow his assignments. He has been hot garbage in pass-pro this season.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no idea how accurate their 'market value' guesses are but they have:

Hargrave at 14.7 a year and the similar contracts average out to 4.3 years 67million 15.7 per year, hard pass if that is anywhere close.

Dupree at 16.6 a year, similar contracts average out to 4.8 years 80 million and 16.8 per year. Pass on that too, I agree with the franchise tag on him. No way I drop a contract like that on him.

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:sigh:

Maximus Rex

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,357.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, I'm super worried about him being a contract year wunderkind, than settling back to the old production.​

This. Maybe he'll prove us wrong, but I got a bad feeling about signing him for big bucks.