• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

State of the Eagles Heading Into Bye

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, our Eagles are 5-4 going into the bye week. All in all, not a terrible situation given some of the bumps the team hit along the way, including a huge raft of injuries. But I still feel like this team has a lot of problems and is going to be lucky to finish 10-6.

The defense seems to be rounding into shape now that some key guys have come back from injury. Jalen Mills and Ronald Darby are not great corners, but they are better than the other guys. Likewise Timmy Jernigan makes a huge impact up front for us as a run stuffing DT alongside Fletcher Cox. I see hope for the defense stabilizing and becoming the strength of the team down the stretch.

The offense unfortunately looks like a hot mess. The receivers are basically trash. The team gambled and lost betting on an old Desean Jackson. We will see if he comes back this season now that he re-aggravated his abdominal injury. Alshon Jeffery meanwhile is a tough possession receiver but no more than a #2 receiver at this point in his career, and he is the only thing we have had for weeks. Nelson Agholor is bad, and we are getting zero from JJ Arcega Whiteside or Mack Hollins. Meanwhile DK Metcalf is looking like a future All Pro for Seattle.

While the offensive line, TE play and running game are all positives, I don't see the Eagles being more than a possible wildcard team without a better passing game. Wentz also has not looked great on deeper throws. He lacks touch on his passes and doesn't give receivers the air to get under balls and make a contested catch like Foles did.

All in all, I am pleased the Eagles are making a run of it, and hope the bye helps--it comes at a perfect time. But I see a lot of holes on offense that aren't getting patched this season.

John

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doug said today - Pro Football Talk and, I guess WIP, that DJax was rested yesterday for "precautionary" reasons and that he WILL be back after the bye. We'll see.
As everyone knows, I have been saying for over 2 years now that the Eagles receivers weren't very good. If they only had a deep threat, that could alleviate SOME of the problems.
How good the Eagles are will depend on how well they play against New England and Seattle. IF they could find a way to go 2-0, they will win the division. Luckily, both of those games are at home.
The one thing that HAS to stop are the really stupid penalties. It would also help if they didn't have any more major injuries.

John

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doug said today - Pro Football Talk and, I guess WIP, that DJax was rested yesterday for "precautionary" reasons and that he WILL be back after the bye. We'll see.
As everyone knows, I have been saying for over 2 years now that the Eagles receivers weren't very good. If they only had a deep threat, that could alleviate SOME of the problems.
How good the Eagles are will depend on how well they play against New England and Seattle. IF they could find a way to go 2-0, they will win the division. Luckily, both of those games are at home.
The one thing that HAS to stop are the really stupid penalties. It would also help if they didn't have any more major injuries.

John

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

CSB

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This doesn't seem quite right to me. He started so obviously the plan was not to rest him. That they sat him suddenly after one series (?) does seem to indicate that something was aggravated or not quite right with his health. As you said, we'll see, but it's hard to have any confidence in his return.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Need to win one of the next two, then take 4 from WAS/NY/MIA down the stretch.
Gets us to 10-5 and the Cowboys game should decide everything.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I think having DJax on the field stretches things for others really nicely ! ( Zack Ertz care to comment?)
I think they still need to keep working on running the ball. I believe Jordan Howard was the best pick up this offseason, ( Howie get him his extension please!) This team wins games when they chew clock and that is because the running game can move the chains for them.

SU Nittany Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,096.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, our Eagles are 5-4 going into the bye week. All in all, not a terrible situation given some of the bumps the team hit along the way, including a huge raft of injuries. But I still feel like this team has a lot of problems and is going to be lucky to finish 10-6.

The defense seems to be rounding into shape now that some key guys have come back from injury. Jalen Mills and Ronald Darby are not great corners, but they are better than the other guys. Likewise Timmy Jernigan makes a huge impact up front for us as a run stuffing DT alongside Fletcher Cox. I see hope for the defense stabilizing and becoming the strength of the team down the stretch.

The offense unfortunately looks like a hot mess. The receivers are basically trash. The team gambled and lost betting on an old Desean Jackson. We will see if he comes back this season now that he re-aggravated his abdominal injury. Alshon Jeffery meanwhile is a tough possession receiver but no more than a #2 receiver at this point in his career, and he is the only thing we have had for weeks. Nelson Agholor is bad, and we are getting zero from JJ Arcega Whiteside or Mack Hollins. Meanwhile DK Metcalf is looking like a future All Pro for Seattle.

While the offensive line, TE play and running game are all positives, I don't see the Eagles being more than a possible wildcard team without a better passing game. Wentz also has not looked great on deeper throws. He lacks touch on his passes and doesn't give receivers the air to get under balls and make a contested catch like Foles did.

All in all, I am pleased the Eagles are making a run of it, and hope the bye helps--it comes at a perfect time. But I see a lot of holes on offense that aren't getting patched this season.
I'm pretty sure it is win the east or nothing. I don't see a wildcard coming out of this division.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the reporters covering the team said Jackson had re-aggravated the abdominal injury. But whatever the case, we will learn more today supposedly on his status.

If he can't come back after the bye, there will obviously be questions about whether he came back too soon, or should have had surgery earlier or something.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm pretty sure it is win the east or nothing. I don't see a wildcard coming out of this division.

That's a good point. Seattle will probably take one of the wildcard spots, so it is down to whether we would be better than a team like Minnesota (which we lost to).

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a good point. Seattle will probably take one of the wildcard spots, so it is down to whether we would be better than a team like Minnesota (which we lost to).

Yeah lets put a pin in that one, Seattle's time is about to run out. Their defense is terrible and they haven't played anyone as of yet. This next month for them could bury them from the post season!

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Rams and Carolina are both 5-3, so we need to leapfrog them as well.

Dallas plays MIN and LAR, so we potentially get help in either case.
CAR still has GB, NO (2x), SEA left on their schedule.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The next two Eagles games, against New England and Seattle at home, are going to be tough. If we win one out of those two, though, I think we have a shot. Even if we lose both, we technically have a shot, because we would be 5-6 but only one tough game remaining against Dallas, and the others would be Miami, NY Giants and Washington.

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This doesn't seem quite right to me. He started so obviously the plan was not to rest him. That they sat him suddenly after one series (?) does seem to indicate that something was aggravated or not quite right with his health. As you said, we'll see, but it's hard to have any confidence in his return.

I think this is the two possible outcomes. Either be reaggravated it (bad!) or he just didn’t feel right (not so bad).

Doug is media managing here with his words. Which worries me a bit. If he truly reaggravated it than it will call the shitty training staff we have, again. That’s my big worry.

Just hoping it’s a live game play “nope. Not ready” and two more weeks will make a good difference. I would be fine with three weeks. Yes, every game should be won, but an AFC opponent like NE is not as big a deal as beating an NFC opponent like Seattle.

ctc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Agreed on the wild card not coming out of this division. It's win or go home.

downundermike

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Need to bring in a WR, the whole group is in a funk right now. If it makes Carson comfortable, bring in Jordan, personally, I say bring in JJ Nelson. He can run and get deep.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They better come out of the bye giving Howard 25 touches. Wentz can make the 3rd down plays, let Howard wear people out. They hate tackling him all game long.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Need to bring in a WR, the whole group is in a funk right now. If it makes Carson comfortable, bring in Jordan, personally, I say bring in JJ Nelson. He can run and get deep.
Jj Nelson is a good name. Dude could always fly.

Give me Antonio.

downundermike

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jj Nelson is a good name. Dude could always fly.

Give me Antonio.

It has been reported that Brown will be immediately placed on the commissioners exempt list if he signs with a team. That is why no one is signing him.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It has been reported that Brown will be immediately placed on the commissioners exempt list if he signs with a team. That is why no one is signing him.
So get rid of the commissioner and tell the new one to let him play.

Jeffrey doesn't know any mossad assassins? I bet he does. His wife doesn't know any Triad assassins? Goodell didn't use any Asian massage parlors? Find the leverage and use it.