• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

State Fair Food....

sooner78wakeboard

Sooner Born, Sooner Bred
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I find state fair food a mixture of fascinating/intriguing/wtf . The last time I went to the fair was a couple of years ago. It's really crazy the stuff they come out with and now it seam's that each year they try to outdo last years concoctions. So the Oklahoma State Fair start's tomorrow and they had this little write up of some of the things out there this year. I think when I went last time, I tried some Chocolate covered bacon, it was a bit overrated.

Vendors square off in pre-fair food contest | News OK

In the classic category, the iconic cinnamon rolls from Silver Dollar Bakery edged out the strawberry delight from Sweiss Bakery.

Sophie's Sidewalk Cafe took home the gold in most unique dessert with the peanut butter fudge puppy. Bringing home silver was the bacon-wrapped caramel apple from Rodney and & Lisa's.

The best tasting sweet was Aunt Edmoe's cookie dough parfait followed by CocoFlow's giant cream puff.

The top savory Classic was the cheese curds from D&D Concessions followed by Doolittle's true foot-long jumbo corn dog. The most unique savory item was the not-terribly-unique but tasty frosted flakes chicken on a stick from B&H Amusements followed by the Bacon Bloody Mary at The Roadhouse.

The winner for Best Tasting Savory was the Rajun Cajun's bacon-wrapped chicken on a stick with its signature homemade hot sauce and topped with a dinner roll. The folks from Pensacola, Fla., have dominated this category so thoroughly, it might be time to name the contest after them. This year, they added the twist of wrapping their championship chicken in bacon. Can avocado and cream cheese be far behind?

Taking second was the brisket melt sandwich from Porky's.

First place winners took home $300, with $200 going to second place. Each prizewinner will have a certificate on their booth.

Not all food vendors participated, so there are still plenty of other deep-fried, stick-skewered, chocolate-covered delights to sample.