• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Starting Offensive Line

Osprey 1984

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LT Russell Okung looks like if he stays healthy can be the mainstay who can make a perenniel favorite as all pro/pro bowl type of player

LG James Carpenter a road grader, versatale needs a little work on pass protection imho. My hope will be his breakout year and 16 games healthy starter

C Max Unger one of the best Centers in the league.

RG JR Sweezy. I know I've said John Moffitt, but all I reading about his PED and drug tests problems. Moffitt seems more interesting building a career after the NFL. I am going out in a limb and say the JR Sweezy expiriment will continue 1 more year and it will eventually prove to be sweet success. I think Sweezy will be a solid role player in the lines of Chris Gray.

RT Breno Giocomini A lot of people don't like he costs us yards and 1st downs because of stupid penalties. I don't see anyone replacing him full time this year. He is the best we got this year. A full off season will clean some of that up. and give time to groom a RT in the waiting. Maybe one of the 7th rounders.

TE Zach Miller our best blocking TE, and a very capable receiver too.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Moffitt has been in trouble with PED's and a couple of cases of pissing in a mall parking lot, but you know he would get the nod if he was at all ahead of Sweezy. Having said that, I think Sweezy probably wins the role for his performance.

Breno is a mixed bag. He does cost you drives, but he is also just fierce and plays harder than just about anyone else so his temper and overall demeanor probably save drives as well. They put him in because they didn't have a better option and until they find one he's the guy.

I still have more questions on the left side than the right, but if carp and kung can stay healthy we can hope they both make strides forward.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Breno is better then some Seahawk fans may think although I don't watch him as often. I have been impressed in how he plays in the games that I have seen him in. Maybe too small a sample size at around 8 games, but I always thought he was above average.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Breno is above average if you are talking about the plays he makes on the field, but he has a crazy bad temper and creates personal fouls that end up costing them drives and it wasn't just once or twice over the year. I've seen him miss his assignments over his temper as well. That is, he should release and take the inside guy, but instead stays on the other guy because he has been scrapping with him for several downs.

Breno's problems aren't in his ability to do his job, but rather his ability to stay focused and stick to his assignments and it is always due to his temper.

Is that enough reason to dump him? That is always the debate with this guy. I don't think there is a clear cut answer other than if the right guy came along he would be out, but we haven't seen a suitable replacement yet.

octagondd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It used to be you could draft a 1st round OL and stick him in the first season. I feel like that is not the case anymore. The opposition is so talented, powerful and fast that one wrong move can get you hurt. Footwork and learning the NFL speed power and leverage is huge for these guys and I think it contributes to injuries early in their careers.

I really hope Okung and Unger are solid now and am hoping Carp will be as well. He can mow some people over. I am worried about stunts to his side on passing downs though.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought Breno cleaned up a lot of his stupid penalties in the second half of the season. He's a real road grader on running plays and adds an edge to the OL.

My problem with Breno is his pass protection. It's not his forte and never will be. I'd love him as a role player, just think we need some one a little more well rounded for his position.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He did cut down on the penalties, but you could still see him blowing blocks because of his temper. I don't think that is something that is fixable. You can either focus/direct your emotions in a game or you can't.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well as a role player...I think he'll be OK. I do hold a fondness for players with a mean streak....as long as they are not stupid about it.

C.Adl.C.Hox.Fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Breno is da man,
As long as he gets the nod from the coaches, I gotta support it.
The improvement aspect of his game may very well continue, especially with all of the intense, player perpetuated focus on the team, responsibilities, and the end-goal that has been occurring lately. "All in", right?

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On Moffitt - I liked the pick because we were having serious offensive line issues, especially at guard, when we drafted him and he seemed like he could be a solid starter in this league for a while. I don't like giving up on guys, especially guys whose acquisition I liked at the time and especially after just two years, but his off the field issues (though his run-ins with the law haven't been for anything violent, run-ins with the law are run-ins with the law when you're a non-starter making less than $1 million a year, especially when one of those run-ins resulted in him getting banned from an entire group of establishments and another is trespassing on one of those establishments and allegedly peeing in the parking lot) and relatively low pay, combined with his inability to establish himself on the field or even stay on it for more than half a season every year, makes it a much easier decision to cut him if the Hawks choose to do that than it would be if he was making a lot more money or making himself indispensable on the field.

Besides... his strength is run blocking and we've got plenty of guys capable of doing that as well or better than he can. If we didn't, he'd have played more when he was healthy enough to play. Pass blocking is what we need and he's apparently not very good at it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Osprey 1984

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it really giving up?

I haven't really given up as much as he has. He is perfectly comfortable in being a solid role player. He loves being the Joker, and wants a television/radio career after football. He is a great guest on the RealRobReport and The Fresh Files. John Moffitt that is. Look at Dave Wyman and Brock Huard. They seems very comfortable. Being a NFL player for many years is a huge accomplishment in my book.

J.R. Sweezy has the nastiness and desire of a defensive lineman, carry that over to the offensive side. In a year, he managed to elevate his game to a starter. He looked good in OTA and progressing nicely. There isn't any reason to think Moffitt can overtake Sweezy this season.

I'm not knocking him, because role players/back-ups play a huge part in this line in a 16 game season and post season and Moffitt is a solid back-up. and as a 3rd rounder... that's all good.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't really given up as much as he has. He is perfectly comfortable in being a solid role player. He loves being the Joker, and wants a television/radio career after football. He is a great guest on the RealRobReport and The Fresh Files. John Moffitt that is. Look at Dave Wyman and Brock Huard. They seems very comfortable. Being a NFL player for many years is a huge accomplishment in my book.

J.R. Sweezy has the nastiness and desire of a defensive lineman, carry that over to the offensive side. In a year, he managed to elevate his game to a starter. He looked good in OTA and progressing nicely. There isn't any reason to think Moffitt can overtake Sweezy this season.

I'm not knocking him, because role players/back-ups play a huge part in this line in a 16 game season and post season and Moffitt is a solid back-up. and as a 3rd rounder... that's all good.

He's only playing half-seasons though. Being a role-player is one thing, and I'd be okay with it if he was, but he's been unable to make it onto the field for one reason or another for half the games since he was drafted. He seems to be a good dude (outside of this whole Bellevue Square mess) with a future in broadcasting after his playing career ends, but I had hopes for him to be a long-term starter and at this rate, it ain't gonna happen and if he can't stay on the field for more than half a season, I don't know how much longer he's gonna stay on the roster.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
King, Carp. Max, Sweezy/McQuistan-I am down on Moffitt, Breno.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would be surprised to see James Carpenter make it through the final cuts.

If he shows up to camp out of shape again (Willing to bet that he does), I can't imagine the Seahawks are going to put up with that again. He has been bad, borderline mediocre if you want to be nice about it throughout his career. He has the natural size to be a solid player but he's raw and seems unwilling to put in the work to improve his technique and pass blocking abilities.

I get the impression that the only reason why Carpenter gets any playing time is due to the fact that Carroll wants to give Carpenter the chance to prove he's the player the Seahawks thought he was when they drafted him. Sadly I don't think that's the case.

I think that J.R. Sweezy does make the opening day starting lineup. He had improved throughout the season and will have another off-season to learn the position. He seems dedicated to learning how to play offensive line and I look to see improvement from him this season.

Moffitt is not a bad guy. If anyone has ever watched The Real Rob report you know what I'm talking about. He's one of the funniest, friendliest guys on the team. It seems a lot of people get the image of some douchebag football player doing whatever the hell he wants, but in reality he was probably just drunk and messing around. Moffitt's problem is more immaturity than being a thug.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm hoping that Russell Okung stays healthy again this year. When he's on the field he's an outstanding LT, but the injury problems are still there. Max Unger has been one of the better centers in the league and it's been fun watching him improve since his rookie year.

I'm not a huge fan of Breno. It seems like the overall feeling for him is better here than I expected. He's a good run blocker but his pass blocking is mediocre at best. It's a position I'd like to see the Seahawks upgrade through the draft next year.

One thing that does worry me is the o-line depth though. I really don't see much behind the starters...

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As far as your opinion of Breno....ditto, the guy isn't good at pass blocking and I doubt that he ever will.

However he's a hell of good linemen when it comes to the run.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As far as your opinion of Breno....ditto, the guy isn't good at pass blocking and I doubt that he ever will.

However he's a hell of good linemen when it comes to the run.

I would like to see him cut down on the penalties. Some of those were absolute drive killers.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He did in the second half of the season IMO.