• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Starling Marte: Fact or Fiction?

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Starling Marte, aka the “falling” star. The truth is the only thing that’s falling about Starling Marte is his percent availability in fantasy leagues. Two weeks ago, Marte was 63% owned in CBS Sports leagues, and now he’s 79% owned. In Yahoo! leagues Marte saw a similar increase, but he is still only 59% owned. That’s just crazy, quite frankly, and it’s why we’re posting this article.

Marte is on an absolute tear right now. Since starting the season going 2-for-15 through the first four games, he has raised his batting average to .370 and has eight multi-hit performances in his last nine games. Over the last week, he is the #3 ranked player behind the scorching-hot Prince Fielder and Chris Carter.

The Pirates lack pop as a team, but that doesn’t mean that Marte won’t rake in the runs and steal many bases. He’s got a very favorable lineup position at the top of the shadily potent Pirates’ lineup, in front of Andrew McCutchen, Garrett Jones and Neil Walker, all solid RBI guys. In fact, Marte’s perch atop the order means that as long as he is a productive base stealer and OBP guy, he’ll continue to enjoy a the green light on the basepaths. He does get clipped a lot, including getting caught five times last year in seventeen attempts, but he’s a young player who can be taught how to steal bases more successfully.

Marte also has some pop of his own. He debuted in July of last year and racked up 5 HR in 47 games, which prorates to 17 dingers over a full season. We don’t necessarily expect him to post that many this season, but 12-15 seems like a realistic ceiling. What’s more, Neil Walker (if healthy) and Garrett Jones could surprise a lot of people; Jones did hit 27 HR in 2012, and Walker in 2011 had a stellar season with 76 R and 83 RBI. All things considered, Marte looks like a good bet to continue a high level of performance throughout the year. He should be picked up in all leagues if your outfield is in need of help; if the stars align, Starling should be in line for a sterling season!

This article covers all of his positives, but neglects to mention that he's a notorious free swinger, as evidenced by his attaining the Platinum Sombrero (0-5, 5 strikeouts) in a game last week. Personally, I think he's got huge upside, but if the plate discipline isn't there, he'll be just another lead-off hitter who strikes out a lot. :scratch:

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Marte is the man. I am very happy to own him in my $ league. I am shocked he is unowned anywhere at this point. Looks like a top 50 overall player to me.

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Marte is the man. I am very happy to own him in my $ league. I am shocked he is unowned anywhere at this point. Looks like a top 50 overall player to me.

Not that it would have made a difference, but I was kicking myself for benching him in our league last week. I keep waiting for the other shoe to fall, but so far so good...

Reverend Jim

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,275.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are several reasons for the discrepancy between his ownership in CBS & Yahoo.

First is CBS has more keeper leagues. While Yahoo has improved (and as much as I hate CBS for numerous reasons), CBS is better equipped to handle long term leagues which is why many people have gone there over the years.

The other reason is CBS has a roster trends page. This may seem unimportant to some but when you see a player has been viewed over 10,000 times, you're gonna click on him as well to see what so impressive. Because of this players get picked up more frequently in CBS over Yahoo. Yahoo does have transaction trends to show who's being picked up and dropped most each day, but without seeing who people are viewing each day many people overlook some of these players unless they are actively watching them on a daily basis. I've noticed on average there is a 20% difference in ownership between any player not in the top 75.

As for the negatives on Marte, I agree he has upside but his plate discipline needs work. He may have long term potential, but for this year you can only hope to have him in there for his hot streaks and on your bench for the cold ones.

Philabuster5

Visionary (aka dreamer)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I need to post a thread on Ackley!
(Then maybe someone will take him off my hands)
Haha

(Nice trade though gentlemen)

Reverend Jim

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,275.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I need to post a thread on Ackley!
(Then maybe someone will take him off my hands)
Haha

(Nice trade though gentlemen)

I was just thinking the same thing about some of my players. Pump and dump, that's what the stock market was built on.

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW, I should put in a disclaimer that when I do these "Fact or Fiction" things, i'm posting articles that I find interesting and just adding my own comments at the end. I am nowhere near as savvy about this stuff as Rev, Tiance and Philabuster are.

However, I do have opinions! And yes, I know what opinions are like...:blah:

Reverend Jim

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,275.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW, I should put in a disclaimer that when I do these "Fact or Fiction" things, i'm posting articles that I find interesting and just adding my own comments at the end. I am nowhere near as savvy about this stuff as Rev, Tiance and Philabuster are.

However, I do have opinions! And yes, I know what opinions are like...:blah:

Damn I thought you wrote it. I'll still give you an A for Honesty.:clap:

Philabuster5

Visionary (aka dreamer)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Savvy eh?:humble:

I gotta mark that one on the calendar :)

I hit 50 and figured out smilies too. What else am I missing?

Sam Sportboy

Can't all be winners kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.74
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Savvy eh?:humble:

I gotta mark that one on the calendar :)

I hit 50 and figured out smilies too. What else am I missing?
That you could have done that at 40...............lmao. Now you can track threads and posts, PM's and all that good stuff.
Sam

Philabuster5

Visionary (aka dreamer)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
40 eh?
There's that savviness shining through

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
40 eh?
There's that savviness shining through

I think they changed that to 40 just recently, so you're excused...now you get to post your signature. Remember, it defined who you are...:heh::heh::heh:

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Make that 'defines'