• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Star Wars: The Mandalorian

ThereIsNoPlace

The New Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, episode 13 is the best one since ep. 6 w Bill Burr's team. Great cinematography which is really just an advanced green screen technique. Pretty spectacular planet environment.

Center Ice

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,004.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm recording season for suitable binge watching at a later date. Love the show! Hate waiting until the next episode.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ahsoka is not Jedi. Bothered me that they kept referring to her as one. And even at the end she basically said herself that she is Jedi. One of the awesome aspects of Ahsoka is that she chose not be Jedi. Tossing that aside is disappointing.

it seems like they were suggesting that Thrawn is in the known galaxy. Otherwise how could the magistrate know where he is? And with that mention, is there any way we don’t meet Bridger soon? Or will they keep him for Ahsoka’s rumored spinoff show?

Timeframe-wise...

Clone Wars took place from the end of Attack of the Clones through the end of Revenge of the Sith (About 2-3 years in SW universe time, if I am not mistaken). There is then approx 18 years between the end of Sith and Rogue One / New Hope. And 4 years more to the destruction of the 2nd Death Star. And Rebels takes place in the year or so leading up to Rogue One. And this takes place sometime after Jedi, but before TFA (Which is about 35 years?). So this is about 5 years or so after the Battle of Endor.

So this is approx 27 years after Order 66 and about 10 years after Bridger and Thrawn do their thing.

Please correct any of my timeframes if I have them wrong.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It seems I like every other episode a lot. I'll take it.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chapter 13 was fucking awesome. Best episode of the series to date

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Season 2 so far wasn't as good as Season 1 imo.

Last episode was great however

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wish he got another robot, IG-11 was great

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This fucking show!

I was 100% expecting another side mission, story of the week episode after that Asoka greatness, but the hell do I know?!

Love it

juliansteed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So apparently Razorcrest sales weren't what they were hoping. I can't say I'll miss that ship. Looks like they're hoping to sell another wave of Slave-One sales 40 years later.

Good episode but I really don't like what they are doing with Boba Fett. I don't mind him teaming up with Mando if it aligns with his own interests but I don't like how he now appears to be an honorable guy. This could be a setup for Mando, but to what end? The "Empire" already has the child (not to mention he killed a bunch of stormtroopers). The guild doesn't have a bounty on Mando anymore. If he really does have altruistic intentions, I hope there is some sort of flashback or explanation for the change in character.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So apparently Razorcrest sales weren't what they were hoping. I can't say I'll miss that ship. Looks like they're hoping to sell another wave of Slave-One sales 40 years later.

Good episode but I really don't like what they are doing with Boba Fett. I don't mind him teaming up with Mando if it aligns with his own interests but I don't like how he now appears to be an honorable guy. This could be a setup for Mando, but to what end? The "Empire" already has the child (not to mention he killed a bunch of stormtroopers). The guild doesn't have a bounty on Mando anymore. If he really does have altruistic intentions, I hope there is some sort of flashback or explanation for the change in character.

It's not like we ever really got much character development for Boba Fett in the first place though. He literally was a throwaway character who gained cult status afterward. Sure he was a bounty hunter, but to say being honorable in any way goes against his character doesn't really make sense. We only know of a very brief, very vague moment of his life. How are we to assume what his interests are after being eaten by a sand worm and left in the desert for 20 years?

Mando wasn't exactly honorable, except to his mission and his creed before he met the child. He changed very quickly. Boba has had much more time to have developed honor if it wasn't already there.

juliansteed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not like we ever really got much character development for Boba Fett in the first place though. He literally was a throwaway character who gained cult status afterward. Sure he was a bounty hunter, but to say being honorable in any way goes against his character doesn't really make sense. We only know of a very brief, very vague moment of his life. How are we to assume what his interests are after being eaten by a sand worm and left in the desert for 20 years?

Mando wasn't exactly honorable, except to his mission and his creed before he met the child. He changed very quickly. Boba has had much more time to have developed honor if it wasn't already there.
I never said that it doesn't or can't make sense. I simply said that I don't like it. Sure stuff can happen and characters can change off-screen, but that's bad/lazy storytelling in my opinion. You're not wrong to think otherwise. We just have differing opinions. Sure we didn't know much about him but that was part of the reason of his popularity. Sometimes less is more. But if you are going to resurrect a popular character, I think they should build on what little is known like they did with Darth Maul in The Clone Wars instead of having him behave in ways that completely contradict what little we knew and liked about the character.

Here's what we knew of Boba Fett. Not counting the ridiculous holiday special, we were initially introduced to Boba Fett in ESB. An imperial officer refers to him and the other bounty hunters as scum. Now, sure this nameless character might be a poor judge of character and bounty hunters are misunderstood but it's clear what the original intent was there. They were setting these guys up to be shady characters. Or if you look at the special editions, we first see him in Mos Eisley. Remember what Obiwan told Luke about the type of people that thing out there? And just because of Obiwan's line doesn't mean it has to apply to everyone but it's clear that unless we were shown otherwise by a developed character (like Han), that's what they were trying to set up with everyone there.

So what else? Well he did conspire with the 2nd most evil man in the galaxy to manipulate Lando into betraying his friend. He also stood by and watched as Vader altered the deal with Lando. Why? Because one of those alterations involved Vader handing Han over to Boba Fett so Boba Fett could profit from it. Now we see Boba Fett selflessly honoring a deal that was never even agreed to?

He had to be singled out and told by the Vader not to disintegrate anyone. Vader also stopped him from blasting Chewy when Han was about to be frozen. When the 2nd most evil dude in the galaxy has to tell you to calm down, it kind of implies that he's pretty reckless and careless with the lives of others. Speaking of which, the one time he was concerned about someone surviving is when he says to Vader about Han "What if he doesn't survive? He's worth a lot to me." All he cared about was himself. Not only did he not care about Han but he didn't even care about Vader's plans for Han and had no problem making this clear to Vader.

Finally he hung out with Jabba. Like the rest of Jabba's crew, he stood by and watched as Jabba fed the Twilek to the Rancor because she wouldn't put out for Jabba. He had no objections to slave Leia either.

So yeah, he didn't get a ton of development in what little screen time and few lines he had. He was just a 1-dimensional character. But that 1 dimension is not what they appear to be building upon. That's fine if it works for some people, but it doesn't quite work for me. I'm not saying it ruins the show for me and that's why I said I'm hoping we get some sort or explanation for this one way or another. But that's why I don't really care for what we've gotten so far.

Last edited:

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never said that it doesn't or can't make sense. I simply said that I don't like it. Sure stuff can happen and characters can change off-screen, but that's bad/lazy storytelling in my opinion. You're not wrong to think otherwise. We just have differing opinions. Sure we didn't know much about him but that was part of the reason of his popularity. Sometimes less is more. But if you are going to resurrect a popular character, I think they should build on what little is known like they did with Darth Maul in The Clone Wars instead of having him behave in ways that completely contradict what little we knew and liked about the character.

Here's what we knew of Boba Fett. Not counting the ridiculous holiday special, we were initially introduced to Boba Fett in ESB. An imperial officer refers to him and the other bounty hunters as scum. Now, sure this nameless character might be a poor judge of character and bounty hunters are misunderstood but it's clear what the original intent was there. They were setting these guys up to be shady characters. Or if you look at the special editions, we first see him in Mos Eisley. Remember what Obiwan told Luke about the type of people that thing out there? And just because of Obiwan's line doesn't mean it has to apply to everyone but it's clear that unless we were shown otherwise by a developed character (like Han), that's what they were trying to set up with everyone there.

So what else? Well he did conspire with the 2nd most evil man in the galaxy to manipulate Lando into betraying his friend. He also stood by and watched as Vader altered the deal with Lando. Why? Because one of those alterations involved Vader handing Han over to Boba Fett so Boba Fett could profit from it. Now we see Boba Fett selflessly honoring a deal that was never even agreed to?

He had to be singled out and told by the Vader not to disintegrate anyone. Vader also stopped him from blasting Chewy when Han was about to be frozen. When the 2nd most evil dude in the galaxy has to tell you to calm down, it kind of implies that he's pretty reckless and careless with the lives of others. Speaking of which, the one time he was concerned about someone surviving is when he says to Vader about Han "What if he doesn't survive? He's worth a lot to me." All he cared about was himself. Not only did he not care about Han but he didn't even care about Vader's plans for Han and had no problem making this clear to Vader.

Finally he hung out with Jabba. Like the rest of Jabba's crew, he stood by and watched as Jabba fed the Twilek to the Rancor because she wouldn't put out for Jabba. He had no objections to slave Leia either.

So yeah, he didn't get a ton of development in what little screen time and few lines he had. He was just a 1-dimensional character. But that 1 dimension is not what they appear to be building upon. That's fine if it works for some people, but it doesn't quite work for me. I'm not saying it ruins the show for me and that's why I said I'm hoping we get some sort or explanation for this one way or another. But that's why I don't really care for what we've gotten so far.
He is a cultural Mandalorian, though, and presumably a member of the Bounty Hunters Guild. Both of whom honor agreements above all else. His agreement with Vader was that he would get Han. No moral judgement either way because his agreement with Jaba (maybe through the Guild??) was to acquire Han.

He didn’t care about Han. Han was a job.

He didn’t care about Vader. Vader was simply a means to an end (getting Han).

He was concerned when Vader may end up killing Han because his agreement with Jaba was presumably for a living Han (maybe a dead Han simply would have been a lower bounty?).

He didn’t care about the bad things happening at Jaba’s palace because they didn’t concern him. Had he already been paid for delivering Han? We don’t know. Maybe part of his contract was to deliver Han to Jaba and ensure that JABA could kill Han (so the contract wasn’t done until Han was eaten).

Flash forward 7 years (or whatever) and he is “negotiating” with a fellow Mandalorian to get his armor back. He respects Mando’s claim to the armor because he understands Mandalorian culture. He also has a legit claim to the armor and knows that Mando, ultimately, will respect his claim because it is legit based on Mandalorian “law”. But they come to an agreement that in exchange for the armor, he will ensure Grogu’s safety (remember that Mando agreed to help the Olyphant character in 2.1 despite the fact that Olyphant had no claim to the armor in Mando’s eyes because getting the armor through an agreement rather than looking like an ass was a potential better solution in his eyes -- different convo). Grogu was taken by Gideon before the “contract” was fulfilled, so he was still bound to assist Mando in getting Grogu back. He isn’t being a good guy or acting noble in helping Mando get Grogu. He was simply being true to his Mandalorian and Bounty Hunter codes of completing a contract. Granted, he may be showing more honor to Mando since he is a Mandalorian, but ultimately, he is just fulfilling his contract.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Were they trying to elude that Boba Fet was once a Mandalorian?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Were they trying to elude that Boba Fet was once a Mandalorian?
Jengo was a foundling (culturally raised as a Mandalorian). Not certain that was ever established before or not. I assume that means that Bobba inherits the “citizenship”.

in Clone Wars, he was shown as hitching in with a number of shady Bounty Hunter clans as a child after Jengo’s death. Iirc, he ended up on Mandalor...

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jengo was a foundling (culturally raised as a Mandalorian). Not certain that was ever established before or not. I assume that means that he inherits the “citizenship”.

in Clone Wars, he was shown as hitching in with a number of shady Bounty Hunter clans as a child after Jengo’s death. Iirc, he ended up on Mandalor...

That makes sense. I was really confused. What "turned" him though? Or technically was he never really "good?"

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That makes sense. I was really confused. What "turned" him though? Or technically was he never really "good?"
I personally don’t see him as “good” or “bad”. He was a troubled youth, but that more so explains why he is such a badass. All his dealing with Vader, Jaba and now Mando, I feel are more about professionalism and adherence to a code.

I really haven’t given it all that much thought before writing my longer post a few posts back. There maybe pretty big holes in my theory.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As someone not invested in Star Wars I thought that was the best episode of the season so far. Definitely leaves you wanting more.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jengo was a foundling (culturally raised as a Mandalorian). Not certain that was ever established before or not. I assume that means that Bobba inherits the “citizenship”.

I don't think it had been established. This episode retconned (or at least cleared up) Jango's lineage and officially made him a Mandalorian, which makes Boba one as well