• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Star Wars: The Mandalorian

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Season finale was fantastic. A great blend of humor and lots of action. Plus

Gideon has THE DARKSABER! Awesome continuation from The Clone Wars and Star Wars Rebels shows. Damn shame about IG-11 though. He was too funny/too badass to die that early. He just took out a town of stormtroopers while riding a bike, did he really need to blow himself up to take out like 8 more?

Btw, Favreau announced today season 2 is coming sometime in Fall of 2020

juliansteed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very good finale and great setup for next season.

How many times did they say the word "creed" in front of Apollo himself? 3? 4? I can't imagine that was not intentional.

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All hail the badass Nurse droid, great season wrap up.

"Don't be sad" "I'm not sad"

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great ending. Looking forward to season 2. Shocking this was better than anything Kathleen 'Darth' Kennedy was a part of :rolleyes2:

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My take is this, at this point I feel like the main trilogies (all of them) are just necessary piles of garbage you have to sit in and get through to know the backstory for the much better quality anthology movies and Disney + serieses.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

giphy.gif

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

BLEH. The best thing about the Mandalorian series is it breaks a ton of the formula and expands the universe/setting into something the fans aren't use to. Introduce the force and "OMG lightsabers" and it goes right back to the routine 'yawn' fest that has been every Star Wars movie since episode 2-3.

I'm not saying 2-3 were good, but at least it tried to tell a story.

Anyway, this is highly disappointing news.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Amazing ending. Totally made up for the Star Trek feel they seemed to be going down for the first 7 episodes.

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok... so I just binged the whole 8 episodes and I would give it a 5/10. The writing is bad. It looks fantastic, but that is expected. This Mandalorian is supposed to be some badass, but the dude gets his ass kicked everywhere and takes tons of shots off his armor. If it weren't for that, he shouldv'e been dead long ago.

Anyway, someone help me out here. I may be forgetting everything that happened in these episodes, but the episodes where....

- they train the village to defeat their enemies
- he teams up with an idiot rookie
- and the Bill Burr prison ship episode

in what way did these move the plot along? It seems that the only reason for the village episode was to introduce Gina Caranos character, which could have been done in any sort of way that actually mattered to the story. Plus the whole meeting her, fighting, suddenly friends dynamic was fucking weird and stupid. Again, bad writing.

The episode with the rookie bounty hunter served no purpose. Mandos ship gets shot, he lands, gets it fixed while he works on a job (meeting the rookie). The target dies, the rookie dies, Mando goes takes baby yoda and leaves. I mean, what the fuck. Someone appears next to the girl target, but they never show who it is so.... it is never made clear what purpose it made even having that in there. How did this further the plot?

The Bill Burr prison episode - pretty decent, they actually made Mando seem more badass than he had been. This episode was where it was very clear that this series could have probably been so much better with better writing and with an R rating. But anyway, Mando lands at this place with an old friend or something, does a job for money, job goes bad, but he wins... literally everyone dies or is left in prison with the only exception being the federation x-wings. As Mando flies away. How did this further the plot?

Not sure if it was this episode or the next one where he receives the message to return from Apollo Creed, but that is fucking stupid if that is the ONLY thing in this entire episode the even attempts to move the plot.

so am I forgetting something, missing something, or what?

I will say this though. The beginning of the last episode with the two troopers on the bikes was pretty funny though. I may prefer a series with those guys instead... felt like Red vs Blue almost.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok... so I just binged the whole 8 episodes and I would give it a 5/10. The writing is bad. It looks fantastic, but that is expected. This Mandalorian is supposed to be some badass, but the dude gets his ass kicked everywhere and takes tons of shots off his armor. If it weren't for that, he shouldv'e been dead long ago.

Anyway, someone help me out here. I may be forgetting everything that happened in these episodes, but the episodes where....

- they train the village to defeat their enemies
- he teams up with an idiot rookie
- and the Bill Burr prison ship episode

in what way did these move the plot along? It seems that the only reason for the village episode was to introduce Gina Caranos character, which could have been done in any sort of way that actually mattered to the story. Plus the whole meeting her, fighting, suddenly friends dynamic was fucking weird and stupid. Again, bad writing.

The episode with the rookie bounty hunter served no purpose. Mandos ship gets shot, he lands, gets it fixed while he works on a job (meeting the rookie). The target dies, the rookie dies, Mando goes takes baby yoda and leaves. I mean, what the fuck. Someone appears next to the girl target, but they never show who it is so.... it is never made clear what purpose it made even having that in there. How did this further the plot?

The Bill Burr prison episode - pretty decent, they actually made Mando seem more badass than he had been. This episode was where it was very clear that this series could have probably been so much better with better writing and with an R rating. But anyway, Mando lands at this place with an old friend or something, does a job for money, job goes bad, but he wins... literally everyone dies or is left in prison with the only exception being the federation x-wings. As Mando flies away. How did this further the plot?

Not sure if it was this episode or the next one where he receives the message to return from Apollo Creed, but that is fucking stupid if that is the ONLY thing in this entire episode the even attempts to move the plot.

so am I forgetting something, missing something, or what?

I will say this though. The beginning of the last episode with the two troopers on the bikes was pretty funny though. I may prefer a series with those guys instead... felt like Red vs Blue almost.

Those episodes are world and character building episodes. This show isn't a typical streaming or prestige television type series where every episode is in service to one central plot. It's more meandering. There is a central plot, but its going to move slowly. Other episodes are more adventure of the week style episodes that have contained plots that might move the central plot forward just a tad or maybe not at all. But what they do is give you more insight into character dynamics/traits and also introduce characters/events that may shape the narrative some time down the road. It's similar to the Clones Wars series and Rebels series, which Dave Filoni worked on who is also a producer for this show.

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those episodes are world and character building episodes. This show isn't a typical streaming or prestige television type series where every episode is in service to one central plot. It's more meandering. There is a central plot, but its going to move slowly. Other episodes are more adventure of the week style episodes that have contained plots that might move the central plot forward just a tad or maybe not at all. But what they do is give you more insight into character dynamics/traits and also introduce characters/events that may shape the narrative some time down the road. It's similar to the Clones Wars series and Rebels series, which Dave Filoni worked on who is also a producer for this show.

Sorry, this apparently turned into a rant.

I never watched the other series you mentioned, but I would have to say that is a terrible idea for a series, specifically a series like this. World building isn't necessary, most people that are going to or have watched this have most likely seen star wars... so we already know about the variance in worlds and space. Not to mention that Mando is never on any planet long enough for it be relevant. There isn't much character being revealed in my opinion either. His parents died to droids, he was almost killed = he hates droids and was taken in by the Mandalorians. Ok, I get that. That also makes his interaction and compulsion to saving baby yoda interlinked, again, I get that. Aside from that, we have a code/creed to live by.. ok, but that hasn't been made very clear so we are unable to link his current actions with the code to truly know how "honorable" he is. It is hard to care about Mando, because they haven't built him at all in my opinion.

In my opinion, a series in meant to have an overarching plot. There can be many subplots within the series, but the primary plot needs to be readily acknowledged unless it is previously set up otherwise such as an injury received from the primary plot causes the main character to lay low for an episode or two, allowing for more character exposition or backstory during that time. Imagine The Punisher Netflix series with no Billy Russo or Leiberman in season one. Castle just goes around killing people for doing bad things. That gets dumb and repetitive really quickly and doesn't allow the audience to build an attachment to the main character. They need a villain to care about to, someone for the protagonist to aspire to kill/beat/ be better than, whatever. For full disclosure, I don't think the Punisher is excellent, but I do think it is really good and story/writing- wise, it puts the Mandalorian to shame.

It just really bothers me that you can watch episodes 1-3 and then skip to 7 and 8 and really not miss anything. The only thing of any sort of importance would be the introduction of Gina Caranos character... which again, could have been done anywhere at pretty much anytime. And that is another pet peeve of mine. He sees her in the bar/restaurant, whatever you want to call it. He talks to the waitress, then notices that she is gone. He goes after her and she ambushes him, they stop fighting breifly, Mando asks if she wants some soup and then they are best friends... I mean wtf did I just witness? That is terrible, lazy fucking writing.

Perhaps all this is just my opinion and it isn't shared by anyone. Idk, everyone I know was up talking this series, so I gave it a shot and was extremely disappointed. Again, the best part in the ENTIRE series (which is actually well written in my opinion) is the opening scene in episode 8 with the two troopers with the bikes. That was awesome... while it lasted.

Last edited:

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It just really bothers me that you can watch episodes 1-3 and then skip to 7 and 8 and really not miss anything. The only thing of any sort of importance would be the introduction of Gina Caranos character... which again, could have been done anywhere at pretty much anytime. And that is another pet peeve of mine. He sees her in the bar/restaurant, whatever you want to call it. He talks to the waitress, then notices that she is gone. He goes after her and she ambushes him, they stop fighting breifly, Mando asks if she wants some soup and then they are best friends... I mean wtf did I just witness? That is terrible, lazy fucking writing.

Perhaps all this is just my opinion and it isn't shared by anyone. Idk, everyone I know was up talking this series, so I gave it a shot and was extremely disappointed. Again, the best part in the ENTIRE series (which is actually well written in my opinion) is the opening scene in episode 8 with the two troopers with the bikes. That was awesome... while it lasted.
Agreed with the Mandalorian having lazy writing. After the first 3-4 episodes things got really stagnant for a while until Kuiil died. To some degree it was basically just rinse & repeating each plot episode. I think they mainly added a lot of fluff episodes to expand on Mando's background and introduce us to more antagonists. A lot of character building sotospeak.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Love the Mandalorian. This is by far the best series on television.