• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Star Wars: Obi-Wan Kenobi

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The last Vader/Kenobi fight was really cool. Saved the episode and maybe the series. But overall, it just wasn't very good. Some good ideas in there but this needed more work.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was this last episode so dark it was hardly viewable? I was getting so aggravated.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was this last episode so dark it was hardly viewable? I was getting so aggravated.

Looked fine for me. The Tatooine scenes looked a little darker but I could still make things out clearly enough

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a horrible finale. Reeva was not the protagonist of the series, but she did get some redemption. We will see her again. While I don’t think it fits perfectly, I would not be shocked if she abandons the name “Reeva” to finish her redemption and adopts the name Mara Jade. I don’t think that will happen, but it wouldn’t shock me.
I give it a B-.

Good fan nostalgia.
Ewan coming back as Kenobi is always great.
Good lightsaber duels.

But, the writing struggled.
They knew what had to happen to keep continuity into A New Hope and most of that was pulled off, but there were just so many question marks on character motivation for the other characters.

"Why would I help you?"
30 seconds later
"Ok, I'll help you!"

I think maybe Dave Filoni needs to be involved in writing every frickin' spinoff.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I give it a B-.

Good fan nostalgia.
Ewan coming back as Kenobi is always great.
Good lightsaber duels.

But, the writing struggled.
They knew what had to happen to keep continuity into A New Hope and most of that was pulled off, but there were just so many question marks on character motivation for the other characters.

"Why would I help you?"
30 seconds later
"Ok, I'll help you!"

I think maybe Dave Filoni needs to be involved in writing every frickin' spinoff.
Filoni, Favreau and/or Lucas. The 3 of them should be the universe runners. They seem to work very well together. Lucas needs supervision, but he is priceless in the brainstorm stage.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last episode was basically a good lightsaber fight and a whole lot of nostalgia.

Even in the two better episodes, the use of plot devices to move things forward is just kinda silly. 3rd sister living with Vader walking away setting up her finding out about Luke just to set up the 3rd sister not doing anything. The whole thing comes off as rushed with not enough dialogue or acting and too many location changes. The Obi-Wan and Vader scenes save this for me but as a whole its a C- or D+ type of affair.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Add in Bryce Dallas Howard.
She has directed a number of episodes, but has she been in the larger scale meetings talking about bigger picture stuff?

She has the pedigree, so I am OK with her, if she has actually done it. I am just not sure she belongs at that table just yet.

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last episode was basically a good lightsaber fight and a whole lot of nostalgia.

Even in the two better episodes, the use of plot devices to move things forward is just kinda silly. 3rd sister living with Vader walking away setting up her finding out about Luke just to set up the 3rd sister not doing anything. The whole thing comes off as rushed with not enough dialogue or acting and too many location changes. The Obi-Wan and Vader scenes save this for me but as a whole its a C- or D+ type of affair.
The whole thing with Reva was to (other than setting her up for a wider role in future series) be a parallel to Vader.

Obi-Wan gained peace and redemption by Vader absolving him of blame for the murder of Anakin. And he also showed Reva mercy despite what she had done, and set her on a path of redemption herself.

And the ultimate benefit of that was spiritually ascending and being able to see Qui-Gon.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The whole thing with Reva was to (other than setting her up for a wider role in future series) be a parallel to Vader.

Obi-Wan gained peace and redemption by Vader absolving him of blame for the murder of Anakin. And he also showed Reva mercy despite what she had done, and set her on a path of redemption herself.

And the ultimate benefit of that was spiritually ascending and being able to see Qui-Gon.
Provided context for something that didn’t really need context (when he tells Luke that Vader killed Anakin). Doesn’t hurt, but it is kinda like explaining a joke that people already laughed at.

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Provided context for something that didn’t really need context (when he tells Luke that Vader killed Anakin). Doesn’t hurt, but it is kinda like explaining a joke that people already laughed at.
Well, this is Star Wars, not Shakespear.

Getting handheld through a redemption arc for a 45-year-old character isn't the worst sin of Star Wars.

I think the best part of this series was what it did for Princess Leia. Rather than just being some guy she was told to contact by the rebellion, we now know she had a long and personal relationship with him.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was a C- overall imo. I didn't even make it to the last couple of episodes. Rather disappointing in terms of characters and story. Too many times it didn't make sense for person X to do what they were doing. Based on the last 2 SW movies, BoB and Kenobi, It's as though Disney has challenged itself to see just how badly written a SW show can be and still drag in the Star Wars fans based on a couple of good scenes and loads of nostalgia.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The show was only in existence to introduce Reva to the universe. Nothing else was needed. Nothing changed.

It lessened the importance of the showdown between Obi wan and Vader in New Hope. It established that Leia did not experience any character growth from age 10 to when we see her again at about age 18. It establishes that Obi wan did not take his job of protecting Luke very seriously. It established that Bael Organa is that annoying dude who leaves voicemails with too much info. It establishes that Reva is willing to commit evils at a level of 7 to avenge an evil of level 5 (and for 10 years).

This show was a bad idea executed badly.

BeaReylo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just finished the show and I bloody loved it! Best Star Wars show yet (at least live action one).

The main cast was on point and are the main reason I dig the story; Hayden coming back really added gravitas to the story and I thought he was excellent in his return. The girl who played Leia was very good capturing the caring soul under the tough exterior that embodies the princess we all know. And Ewan didn't miss a beat as the titular character. Overall I would give Kenobi a B+.

Zwalt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,173.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't. Is it about something other than a Resistance?

Obi Wan should be over right now. He rescued Leia and escaped. There is a tracking device but that shouldn't matter because the empire should assume that Leia will go back home and has no reason to think she or Obi Wan would stay with the resistance. The third sister should be dead. Although obi wan probably should be healing in a tank somewhere.... none of this makes any sense.

The hard part of the show was explaining how Obi Wan could get in and out of a max security prison.

Holy crap, this is so spot on...derr I'm tracking them! Yeah to flipping Alderaan, everyone knows that is where they would go dumbass!