• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Star Trek: Enterprise

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My binge marathon continues, and this got on my list. I haven’t watched it since first run.

First things fucking first...

Whoever decided on that theme song needs to be shot. Then miraculously resurrected and shot again. My god, that has to be the worst tv theme song ever. Especially for a franchise spectacularly known for its epic theme songs.

Well, now that that is out of the way...

S1 was amazing. I didn’t remember it being so good. S2, however was completely worthless. I am currently about half way through S2 and wondering why the writing team was obviously changed between S1 and S2. And why did they completely abandon the whole Salaran and Temporal story arcs? S1 was moderately serial and it kept the flow at a great pace. S2 went completely episodic and lost every bit of charm it had in S1.

I remember that in the later seasons the show went for more of a multi-episodal arc format. I will see if that flow improves the feel.

I remembered this show as an overall failure, and half way through S2, my opinion, unfortunately, has not changed, despite a VERY strong S1.

DonMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really enjoyed the first season when it originally aired. I stopped watching some time after that, in part because of quirks in the cable scheduling that caused the show to not air here. Eventually, I got recordings of all the episodes, and only watched some of the episodes for the 1st time fairly recently.

The 3rd season goes to the other extreme - it's essentially one long continuation about the temporal cold war. The back to Earth episode, Carpenter Street, is particularly good. The scene with T'Pol at the fast food drive-thru is a classic.

IIRC the 4th season jumps around more, and I didn't enjoy it as much.

NFL-Solomon

The Father of The Potato Salad Poll Option
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My binge marathon continues, and this got on my list. I haven’t watched it since first run.

First things fucking first...

Whoever decided on that theme song needs to be shot. Then miraculously resurrected and shot again. My god, that has to be the worst tv theme song ever. Especially for a franchise spectacularly known for its epic theme songs.

Well, now that that is out of the way...

S1 was amazing. I didn’t remember it being so good. S2, however was completely worthless. I am currently about half way through S2 and wondering why the writing team was obviously changed between S1 and S2. And why did they completely abandon the whole Salaran and Temporal story arcs? S1 was moderately serial and it kept the flow at a great pace. S2 went completely episodic and lost every bit of charm it had in S1.

I remember that in the later seasons the show went for more of a multi-episodal arc format. I will see if that flow improves the feel.

I remembered this show as an overall failure, and half way through S2, my opinion, unfortunately, has not changed, despite a VERY strong S1.
I'm with you, … and NOT with you.

Most definitely with you on the "theme song". That gay assed piece of audio garbage was the #1 reason I stopped watching the series when it was on broadcast.

Where I am not with you is S1, I thought it sucked big ass donkey dick. In fact, I thought they all sucked up to as far as I watched when it was being broadcast.

that said, after I was able to pick up the complete series on DVD for $10 at half price books, I gave the series another shot because I could fast forward thru the audio pain. I ended up liking it a good bit, enough to place it here, before discovery came out:

1 TOS
2 STNG
3 VOY
4 ENT
5 DS9

… and I thought the series improved throughout it's run as the cast gelled. Tho, even to the end, I kept expecting Archer to Leap.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm with you, … and NOT with you.

Most definitely with you on the "theme song". That gay assed piece of audio garbage was the #1 reason I stopped watching the series when it was on broadcast.

Where I am not with you is S1, I thought it sucked big ass donkey dick. In fact, I thought they all sucked up to as far as I watched when it was being broadcast.

that said, after I was able to pick up the complete series on DVD for $10 at half price books, I gave the series another shot because I could fast forward thru the audio pain. I ended up liking it a good bit, enough to place it here, before discovery came out:

1 TOS
2 STNG
3 VOY
4 ENT
5 DS9

… and I thought the series improved throughout it's run as the cast gelled. Tho, even to the end, I kept expecting Archer to Leap.
Imho, the show never got its feet under itself. It felt like every season the got a whole new writing staff and a new show runner...

S1 - almost entirely episodic, but with enough of an on going arc to tie everything together. Clearly the best season of the show.
S2 - 100% episodic. They completely dropped the ongoing storyline until the last 2 or 3 episodes. Not engrossing at all. Third best season, imho.
S3 - entirely serial. The story was good, but the second huge format change in the shows history was a bit jarring. They did the impossible. They made the opening theme WORSE. Good season, though. #2 after the first season.
S4 - yet a new format. The whole season was a series of mini-arcs, each lasting 2 or 3 episodes. Horrible, horrible season. And then the total lack of respect for the series by making the series finale just a throw away TNG episode? The show as a whole was not that great, but it deserved its own finale.

NFL-Solomon

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Imho, the show never got its feet under itself. It felt like every season the got a whole new writing staff and a new show runner...

S1 - almost entirely episodic, but with enough of an on going arc to tie everything together. Clearly the best season of the show.
S2 - 100% episodic. They completely dropped the ongoing storyline until the last 2 or 3 episodes. Not engrossing at all. Third best season, imho.
S3 - entirely serial. The story was good, but the second huge format change in the shows history was a bit jarring. They did the impossible. They made the opening theme WORSE. Good season, though. #2 after the first season.
S4 - yet a new format. The whole season was a series of mini-arcs, each lasting 2 or 3 episodes. Horrible, horrible season. And then the total lack of respect for the series by making the series finale just a throw away TNG episode? The show as a whole was not that great, but it deserved its own finale.
I should clarify, I only hated the first half of season 1, liked season 2, thought 3 was the best and enjoyed 4.

Now DS9, that sucked until the Dominion war.

Even Voyager wasn't awesome until they got rid of Kes and Neelix and brought in 7 of 9

I hated the 1st episode of Discovery, but really enjoyed the rest I've seen so far. (and it has a decent theme song)

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I LOVED DS9. I liked it from ep1 through the end. S7 was a bit of a step down, but that often happens when you lose the best character on the show (ok, Dax was the best, not Jadzia, but Jadzia was 1000x better than Ezri)

I am binging Voyager now. S2 is a lot better than S1, but it is rough so far. They are FINALLY digging into Kes a bit. But I think you are mistaken. Neelix never left the show, just Kes.

NFL-Solomon

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I LOVED DS9. I liked it from ep1 through the end. S7 was a bit of a step down, but that often happens when you lose the best character on the show (ok, Dax was the best, not Jadzia, but Jadzia was 1000x better than Ezri)

I am binging Voyager now. S2 is a lot better than S1, but it is rough so far. They are FINALLY digging into Kes a bit. But I think you are mistaken. Neelix never left the show, just Kes.
No, Neelix leaves. 7th season, but well before the end. I thought it was earlier, but I was probably just so happy to see him go.
I guess we just have different preferences, but at least we can agree, Star Trek Rules!