• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine (DS9)

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I watched this back in the day, but I was in HS and college and it was WAY before TiVo or other DVR solutions. I always considered this a show I had watched, but recently realized that I actually likely missed most of the episodes.

So I decided to binge. And I am almost done with S2 right now.

This show is actually MUCH better than I remember. The characters are very well written. The whole concept of the Trills is mind blowing, and a really fun idea to explore. And Vedek (Ky) Winn is a GREAT character. So conniving and hateful. If this or Nurse Ratchet the opus role for Louise Fletcher? Both are epic.

Anyway, if you haven’t watched this show in a while, it may be worth your time to give it a binge.

MarkOU

License to Thrill
Hoopla Cash
$ 287.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I watched this back in the day, but I was in HS and college and it was WAY before TiVo or other DVR solutions. I always considered this a show I had watched, but recently realized that I actually likely missed most of the episodes.

So I decided to binge. And I am almost done with S2 right now.

This show is actually MUCH better than I remember. The characters are very well written. The whole concept of the Trills is mind blowing, and a really fun idea to explore. And Vedek (Ky) Winn is a GREAT character. So conniving and hateful. If this or Nurse Ratchet the opus role for Louise Fletcher? Both are epic.

Anyway, if you haven’t watched this show in a while, it may be worth your time to give it a binge.

I like DS9. Great series. I put it up there with TNG, just as good imo.

Innermind

Lithomancer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm patiently waiting for BBC America to get DS9 rights. They already have the rights to and regularly broadcast episodes of TOS, TNG, and Voyager.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm patiently waiting for BBC America to get DS9 rights. They already have the rights to and regularly broadcast episodes of TOS, TNG, and Voyager.
I am watching on Prime. I am not sure if Hulu or Netflix have it. I just happened to check Prime first and it was there.

Doesn’t Paramount have a streaming service as well? Maybe CBS online?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing I am noticing...

Siddig El Fadil (Alexander Siddig) was a HORRIBLE actor. Not that he is a good actor now, but my god, his acting stuck out like a sore thumb on this show.

And for the record, I knew he used a nom de plume, but shit man, how many names does one man really need? And I thought Mahershala Ali had a long real name...

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Worf saved the show.
The Dominion were brilliantly conceived and executed.

It started out slow the first couple of years, I thought.
Still classic overall.

Never a big fan of Cisco, loved some of the other characters.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Worf saved the show.

Still classic overall.

Never a big fan of Cisco, loved some of the other characters.
Avery Brooks was/is completely loony toons. He was great as Hawk, in part because he hardly talked. Sisko was a role where it was more difficult for him to hide his craziness.

Innermind

Lithomancer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Worf saved the show.

Still classic overall.

Worf (Michael Dorn) was awesome.... and also Marc Alaimo as Gul Dukat.... IMO, Gul Dukat is one of the greatest TV villains of all time.

In addition to being cast as Gul Dukat, Alaimo portrayed at least 3 characters on TNG: A Romulan, a Cardassian (not Dukat), and a French poker player in Mark Twain era San Francisco.

C_EyvywXsAEb-n0.jpg

Last edited:

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This was my least favorite of the Star trek series but I still watched. I only watched through Voyager though. I checked out when the Bakula one came on.

I have been going back to watch some old stuff more and more. Some of the stuff was not as good as I thought it was back then, but some is.

Rewatching "Lost". One of the best shows ever IMO.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This was my least favorite of the Star trek series but I still watched. I only watched through Voyager though. I checked out when the Bakula one came on.

I have been going back to watch some old stuff more and more. Some of the stuff was not as good as I thought it was back then, but some is.

Rewatching "Lost". One of the best shows ever IMO.
I have wanted to rewatch Lost for a while. Kinda intimidated to do it, though. The story is uber-exhausting.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have wanted to rewatch Lost for a while. Kinda intimidated to do it, though. The story is uber-exhausting.

True but it gets you through the long winters in the northeast. I only watched half of it this winter. I will hold off the last 3 seasons till next winter.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The currency is not very stable in this show. Jake and Nog acquire an entire shipment of (connector rods??) that require a full storage bay to hold and hope to sell it for 5 bars of gold-pressed latnum (if memory serves, Quark ens up buying the shipment for 3 bars and later selling it for 10 a couple seasons later).

However, when Nog leaves for the Academy, O’Brian buys a junk toy (at Dax’s urging) for 10 bars.

You would think, with fans who pick every word apart in this universe, they would not let something that big slip past their continuity writers.

DonMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The currency is not very stable in this show. Jake and Nog acquire an entire shipment of (connector rods??) that require a full storage bay to hold and hope to sell it for 5 bars of gold-pressed latnum (if memory serves, Quark ens up buying the shipment for 3 bars and later selling it for 10 a couple seasons later).

However, when Nog leaves for the Academy, O’Brian buys a junk toy (at Dax’s urging) for 10 bars.

You would think, with fans who pick every word apart in this universe, they would not let something that big slip past their continuity writers.
I'm guessing you have bars confused with strips.

Latinum

O'Brien probably paid 10 strips for a holosuite program.

At one point I had all the various Trek series on VHS, missing at most a handful of episodes. I eventually went all digital and found downloads to replace all of that.

I've seen most of DS9, but there are a few toward the end I missed. I recently finished watched all of season 6, and just started into season 7. Many of these I haven't seen since I watched the initial release about 20 years ago.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm guessing you have bars confused with strips.

Latinum

O'Brien probably paid 10 strips for a holosuite program.

At one point I had all the various Trek series on VHS, missing at most a handful of episodes. I eventually went all digital and found downloads to replace all of that.

I've seen most of DS9, but there are a few toward the end I missed. I recently finished watched all of season 6, and just started into season 7. Many of these I haven't seen since I watched the initial release about 20 years ago.
You may be right. During the union episode, they mention “slips”, “strips” and “bars”...

Ottermatic

You Otter Pay Attention
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I loved DS9. My favorite star trek series. I've done full rewatches of it twice, most recently last year.

It was the only trek until late in Enterprise's run that actually gave a damn about what had been done in prior episodes, and making characters face the consequences of their actions. And the acting was brilliant.

It wasnt perfect in that regard, but it was ahead of its time. It's a show that looks better in the light of today's TV landscape than it did in the 90s

Ottermatic

You Otter Pay Attention
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, and they have continued the story of DS9 in the novels past where the show ended. I've read season 8 (up through Unity) and it's definitely worth reading if you like the storylines of the show

At some point I'll start reading season 9.

_rolltideroll_

4 out of 3 people have trouble with basic math...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,180.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DS9 is probably the best written of the franchise. So many strong characters...

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This show is fucking hilarious. I did not remember that aspect of the show at all.

Ottermatic

You Otter Pay Attention
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I watched the documentary "What We Left Behind: Looking Back on Star Trek Deep Space Nine" tonight.

A fun retrospective documentary for fans of the show