• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: St. Louis Rams @ Seattle Seahawks

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Positives:

Century Link - Despite the loss last week, the Seahawks still enjoy the best home field advantage in the league. The Rams know this more than anyone, as they haven't won in Seattle since 2005 (technically wild card round of 2004).

Golden Tate - The Seahawks offense has struggled against good defenses and so players like Tate need to step up and make big plays (especially getting the team good field position on punt returns). Hopefully Tate has another big game like he did last time, while not doing something that allows other to talk about anything but his great game.

Russell Wilson - Smooth and calm as he can be, the Rams have pressured him more than any other team. People have talked about how the Rams should copy what the 9ers and Cardinals have done the last few weeks, but really, those teams just copied what St. Louis has been doing against Seattle. Wilson has been sacked 15 times in 3 games against the Rams, and he'll need better protection this game, but he'll also need to make better decisions.

Negatives:

Rams Run - Despite the Rams being ranked 16th running the ball, their running game is very dangerous, and Seattle remembers the 200 yards they put up last time. Including that game, the Rams are averaging 155.6 yards rushing per game the last 8 games. Seattle hasn't been lights out against the run this year, and have allowed 121.5 yards over the same time period. They will have to stop the run if they want to win.

Rams D - People can discount the Rams D because they're ranked 17 in the league, but the worst game the Seahawks have had all season on offense was against these Rams (135 yards). The offense in Seattle has been struggling against good defenses, and the Rams do have a very good defense.

Seahawks Special Teams - Odd to add this when thinking about a unit that has allowed 21 or so yards punt returning all season, but this unit has been extremely inconsistent all season. They've allowed 2 blocked punts and a blocked field goal (not to mention the botched field goal in Indy). In Seattle's 3 losses, special teams have been atrocious. Jon Ryan is averaging 38.5 yards per punt the last 4 games, punts that have been kicked from an average location of the Seahawks own 33 yard line. Expected points for the unit have been atroucious the last 4 games as well with -6.31 against the Saints, -6.78 vs the 4ers and -5.44 against the Cardinals. The Giants game was the only one with positive points and it was 0.46.

Matchups:

Robert Quinn vs. Russell Okung - Quinn leads the NFL with 18 sacks, including 3 against the Okungless offensive line last time the teams met. Seattle will have to protect Wilson, and the Rams will be coming after him.

Zac Stacy vs. Front 7 - Stacy had his breakout game against the Seahawks last time, a game where he was one of my keys of the game. Seattle needs to make the Rams throw the ball, because the Seahawks have only allowed 200 yards passing in 4 games, and only 1 more than 215. Not to mention that they're 3rd in the league with 26 picks.

Tavon Austin vs. Walter Thurmond - Austin has shown at times the big play ability that made him a top 10 pick, and Thurmond will be coming back from a suspension and could be a little rusty. Seattle will have to keep him from having a big play, cause once he's in the open field, he's very hard to catch.

Overview:

This game is important, no matter what happens in the 9er game. Seattle needs to start turning around the issues that have creeped into the teams play. This is the time for the team to put together a complete game and to show those in the playoffs what to expect when they come to Seattle. The coaches need to be better prepared, and the players need to execute better. This game needs to be put out of reach early, force the Rams to throw, something they haven't been very good at since Bradshaw went down.

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here are some things I want to see today

1) Bruce Irvin needs to make an impact
- I don't have the resources or the knowledge of an NFL scout to say that Irvin's transition from defensive end to line backer has been a failed experiment, but from what I see in the eyes of a fan his performance this year has been very underwhelming. He started off hot in the first 4 games, got those two sacks, a 9 tackle game, and that big interception in the Rams game. But ever since then he's had 0 sacks in 7 games and has hardly made any impact defensively.

I guess you can sort of give Irvin a pass, because he was suspended 4 games and essentially did not have a preseason. But eh...he's played a full 11 games now...I don't expect him to be Aldon Smith or Demarcus Ware out there...but come on BRUCE you gotta make more of an impact out there. I'm not sure if it's him or just how he is being utilized, but last year when he got those sacks for us they were usually huge. A

2) Russell Okung and Max Unger need to start playing like their damn pro bowl caliber selves

All year we've been cautiously optimistic thinking...okay when the o-line gets back all healthy we are going get it going offensively just like we did at the end of the year........and now we're healthy........and we are still getting destroyed up front

This is really cause for concern if you ask me. When Okung and Unger were both on their game last year...in our final 8 or so games we were averaging close to 200 yards rushing! These past 4 games Marshawn has failed to even eclipse 80 yards. Our offensive line needs to get it going again. I understand that pass blocking is not their strongest suit and I've come to accept that but now the run blocking is failing too? I want to see the offensive line come out there and have a great game. That is the key to our offense getting it going

3) PENALTIES
- Stuff like pass interference or holding on defense...I hate them...but whatever that's just how we play. Refs will be refs and they will call those. We can't stop playing aggressive, because of how the refs are calling the game. What I absolutely hate are the unnecessary flags. Tony Mcdaniel pushing a Cardinal defender after a play was already over...15 yard penalty...first down...and oh yeah right in field goal position. False starts on crucial downs. 3rd and 3 last week on the Arizona 4...a manageable down gets moved back to 3rd and 8 and we have to settle for a fg. We are playing AT HOME damn it. Be disciplined and stop getting unnecessary penalties. Last week we gave the Cards 6 first downs on penalties alone. In a game where one possession literally decided the game...those penalties come back to haunt you

4) The 12th Man
- Not a lot of people are saying this but I'll say it. The 12th man can step it up some in these afternoon games too. The prime time games have been insane pedal to the metal...loud and raucous from start to finish...from the moment the opposing team gets into the huddle to the time when they are doing their snap count...our crowd is relentless. However, in these less important non prime time games...our crowd is still "loud" but not 12th man loud.

Today is essentially a playoff game for us. The crowd needs to treat it like one too. We have Kellen fricking Clemens out there. Let's rattle this guy like he's never been rattled before.

All in all...we need to go out there and handle business today like a 12-3 team should. I don't care how tough the rams have played us or how good their d has looked on some weeks. This team is 7-8 for a reason. I expect us to go out there and win by at least double digits.

Seattle 24 St Louis 10

LETS GO HAWKS

FirebreathingMonkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Positives:

Tavon Austin vs. Walter Thurmond - Austin has shown at times the big play ability that made him a top 10 pick, and Thurmond will be coming back from a suspension and could be a little rusty. Seattle will have to keep him from having a big play, cause once he's in the open field, he's very hard to catch.

Well that's taken care of, as Tavon Austin is not supposed to play today.

Tavon Austin expected to miss game against Seahawks | NFL News, Rumors and Opinions ... Powered by Tireball.com

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
blstoker and logicallylethal back to back awesome!

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here are some things I want to see today

1) Bruce Irvin needs to make an impact
2) Russell Okung and Max Unger need to start playing like their damn pro bowl caliber selves
3) PENALTIES
4) The 12th Man
These are all spot on. Great work. We respect the Rams pash rush but lets not pretend this is a top 5 d. They are 17th in total defense and 20th against the pass. We need to establish the run vs this team. If we cant do it today, I dont have a lot of faith of doing it in potential games vs the Panthers or Niners. Running the ball would open things up for play action and slow down that pass rush. I think starting early will be important. I think if we can get up by 10 or more and force them to throw it will be huge. If not it will be an ugly close game. Im going to 20-13 Hawks. The playoffs start today so lets go get it!!!

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These are all spot on. Great work. We respect the Rams pash rush but lets not pretend this is a top 5 d. They are 17th in total defense and 20th against the pass. We need to establish the run vs this team. If we cant do it today, I dont have a lot of faith of doing it in potential games vs the Panthers or Niners. Running the ball would open things up for play action and slow down that pass rush. I think starting early will be important. I think if we can get up by 10 or more and force them to throw it will be huge. If not it will be an ugly close game. Im going to 20-13 Hawks. The playoffs start today so lets go get it!!!

While true that they're D is 17th, they completely destroyed the Seahawks offense in St. Louis. The 135 yards that Seattle gained on offense is the 3rd lowest total by any offense this season (103 for Miami last week against the Bills and 126 for the Packer against the Lions in week 13). I've actually been more surprised with their performance to make them 17th overall than I am that they held Seattle to next to nothing, the Hawks averaged less than 3 yards per carry that game.

I'm not saying they are an elite unit, but they can put together an elite game, and they always play Seattle tough.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Rams front four is awesome. They make me nervous as heck. Hopefully our OL steps up today, Seahawks really need them to bring their A game today.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Rams front four is awesome. They make me nervous as heck. Hopefully our OL steps up today, Seahawks really need them to bring their A game today.

I think today we see the Hawks A++ game. Last week the offense was an embarrassment and I expect them to come out on fire to go along with the Defense playing lights out equals a solid victory and HFA.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man I hope so… Let's get it rolling guy's…

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have been freaking out all weak about this game but the closer it gets the better I feel about it. I just have a gut feeling that things are going to come together in this game and bevell will take his head out of his ass.

Also, Wilson HAS to leave nothing on the field. If he has a chance to make a play with his legs he has to do it. Looking down field is great but if he has an opening he has to take it.

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
31-17 Hawks!

FirebreathingMonkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow Alt just shot themselves in the foot. Ball on the 30 with 35 secs, Qb not ready so they lose 20 as ball fly's by the QB. Than when they spike the ball not lined up thus 10 secs ran off. So now around there own 20 and only 9 secs left. Game as panthers win

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Panthers at least the #2 seed. Feel for Atlanta, did anyone play a harder schedule?

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good post as always Blstoker.

Was just having flashbacks of good old Charlie Whitehurst while writing why I believed Kirk Cousins could still net at least a 3rd round pick.

Hope to have a good game today. I'd like to see the Seahawks put their offensive problems behind them before heading into the playoffs.

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's crazier was what happened with the Texxans. 2-0 on the verge of 3-0 and a big victory over the best team in the NFL...annnnnd then they lose the next 14 lol

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Panthers at least the #2 seed. Feel for Atlanta, did anyone play a harder schedule?

Man, I feel like Carolina slightly dodged the bullet there. The mental breakdown by this Atlanta team is unbelievable... that botched snap was just ugh.. unbearable.:L

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's crazier was what happened with the Texxans. 2-0 on the verge of 3-0 and a big victory over the best team in the NFL...annnnnd then they lose the next 14 lol

Dude I don't know what the hell happened with the Texans. There is so much talent on that roster and they just completely collapsed. Got to feel bad for that fanbase. On the bright side they could recover and have a good team next year if the right head coach is found.

FirebreathingMonkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Number one pick Texans. 14 straight losses. And Than Wash had to lose again meaning a High pick for STL.