• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Spring Training

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
31B67095-DC14-4831-A4F2-23E9EB53CF06.jpeg So the wife and I went to our first spring training game yesterday and had a pretty cool thing happen. As we first sat in our seats we noticed a well dressed women take the seat on the aisle but didn’t think much more about it other than she had a custom/special Mariners wrist band. About midway through the game my wife got up to grab a beer, and once she was gone the lady started some small chat about the Mariners so we started nerding out a bit. That’s when I had to ask, “you’re obviously affiliated with the Mariners, at what capacity?”. She says her husband works for them, so I asked who. Come to find out her husband is Dave Sims. Now I know a lot of you guys can’t stand Dave, but my wife and I actually really enjoy him and can’t stand it when Goldsmith fills in. Anyways, we had a great time watching the rest of the while talking ball with her and at the end of the game she took us into the Mariners broadcast booth to meet Dave. Both of them are unbelievably gracious and was a cool treat to meet him.

Duders

IDK - IDC - IDGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Must have been a blast for you two. I'm one of the few who like Sims also and I'm with you when Goldsmith fills in I usually turn the radio on and listen to Rick. How long are you going to be there? We're heading down there on Wednesday. :thumb:

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, totally unexpected but a great surprise.

We actually live just outside of Phoenix so we catch a few games every year; Japan is screwing this year up so we won’t catch as many games.

The games are a blast, have fun!!

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Must have been a blast for you two. I'm one of the few who like Sims also and I'm with you when Goldsmith fills in I usually turn the radio on and listen to Rick. How long are you going to be there? We're heading down there on Wednesday. :thumb:

Sims is annoying as an announcer. He actually is either a great guy or just really good with fans. I will say kudos to him or any person of his ilk because he and Rizz go out of their way to make people feel good that go up to him. I didn’t get my picture like this lucky fella did but he made my wife like baseball just by talking to her when I try my hardest to get her too. He is a smooth talker who could talk an Eskimo into buying a bag of ice.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a great little story there, it is cool how the franchise makes sure the fans get a little extra down in camp.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
View attachment 199487 So the wife and I went to our first spring training game yesterday and had a pretty cool thing happen. As we first sat in our seats we noticed a well dressed women take the seat on the aisle but didn’t think much more about it other than she had a custom/special Mariners wrist band. About midway through the game my wife got up to grab a beer, and once she was gone the lady started some small chat about the Mariners so we started nerding out a bit. That’s when I had to ask, “you’re obviously affiliated with the Mariners, at what capacity?”. She says her husband works for them, so I asked who. Come to find out her husband is Dave Sims. Now I know a lot of you guys can’t stand Dave, but my wife and I actually really enjoy him and can’t stand it when Goldsmith fills in. Anyways, we had a great time watching the rest of the while talking ball with her and at the end of the game she took us into the Mariners broadcast booth to meet Dave. Both of them are unbelievably gracious and was a cool treat to meet him.

That's pretty effin cool ! :suds:

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your wife is very pretty and you have a great beard, but your take on Goldsmith vs Sims is as good as your haircut IMO.

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your wife is very pretty and you have a great beard, but your take on Goldsmith vs Sims is as good as your haircut IMO.

Not to start an announcer debate, but I find Goldsmith to be better at other sports and quite pleasant. Baseball on the other hand :trash:

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not to start an announcer debate, but I find Goldsmith to be better at other sports and quite pleasant. Baseball on the other hand :trash:

This is where I am and why I like Rizz, with a game like baseball you need an announcer who can fill time. Sims, while I find annoying when he does play by play when he talks he seems like a guy you would like to have a beer with and talk. Goldsmith sounds like a guy who is knowledgeable but should be the third wheel of a booth where he chimes in every now and then. Just my too cents.

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is where I am and why I like Rizz, with a game like baseball you need an announcer who can fill time. Sims, while I find annoying when he does play by play when he talks he seems like a guy you would like to have a beer with and talk. Goldsmith sounds like a guy who is knowledgeable but should be the third wheel of a booth where he chimes in every now and then. Just my too cents.

The only time I enjoy Goldsmith is when "Bone" is in the booth because Jay likes to rip his ass the entire time. Goldsmith constantly talks about the history of whatever is the focal point of the broadcast and never let's the game itself breath. I really don't care about hearing what he's learned on Google just to hear himself talk. He doesn't seem to do that during other sports broadcasts.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
View attachment 199487 So the wife and I went to our first spring training game yesterday and had a pretty cool thing happen. As we first sat in our seats we noticed a well dressed women take the seat on the aisle but didn’t think much more about it other than she had a custom/special Mariners wrist band. About midway through the game my wife got up to grab a beer, and once she was gone the lady started some small chat about the Mariners so we started nerding out a bit. That’s when I had to ask, “you’re obviously affiliated with the Mariners, at what capacity?”. She says her husband works for them, so I asked who. Come to find out her husband is Dave Sims. Now I know a lot of you guys can’t stand Dave, but my wife and I actually really enjoy him and can’t stand it when Goldsmith fills in. Anyways, we had a great time watching the rest of the while talking ball with her and at the end of the game she took us into the Mariners broadcast booth to meet Dave. Both of them are unbelievably gracious and was a cool treat to meet him.

That's awesome.

Never been a fan of Dave Sims personally, but having listened to his broadcasts for years I'd have to imagine he's a really nice guy.

Also have to say your beard is awesome, no-homo.