• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Sports Goats

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know what you mean. Yeah, Will had a pretty damn good career too. 100 point game, plus maybe the greatest game of all time.

Wilt Chamberlain Reportedly Had A Quintuple-Double With 53 Points, 32 Rebounds, 14 Assists, 24 Blocks, And 11 Steals. Triple-doubles are a relatively rare feat in the NBA. ... On March 18th, 1968 the NBA's greatest record breaker allegedly did something amazing: a quintuple-double (the first and only one in NBA history).

That is a pretty damn good game. Maybe Kareem Abdul-Jabbar? I hate naming LeBron the greatest because I hate him. Maybe Michael Jordan, I like him better. LOL. Maybe we can go Bill Russell as I am open to suggestions outside LeBron. :)
Lebron is a pussy. Especially early career.....

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NFL...Brady
NBA...Jordan
NHL...Gretzky
MLB...Hank Aaron
Golf...Tiger
Boxing...Bernard Hopkins
Wrestling...The Rock
Swimming...Phelps
Tennis...Pete Sampras
Olympian...Phelps
Athlete...Bo Jackson

Eco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,396.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Had this conversation with my Dad today, and we could only think of two sports roles that had the ultimate GOAT, although I'm sure we missed a couple of 'slam dunks'.

NHL - Easily Wayne
CFB H.C. - Saban
NHL HC - Bowman

NBA - James and Jordan and a hand full of others.
NFL - Maybe Brady, maybe Barry Sanders, maybe Jerry Rice, or a host of other legendary NFL players.
MLB - Babe? Hank? Sure.
Soccer - Pele, Maradona, Messi, Ronaldo? All legends.
Tennis Mens - the big 3 now
Tennis Womens - Serena likely, but even she doesn't have the most titles.

So many things you could argue, but I think Bowman, Gretzky, and Saban are the only absolute truths in terms of being the GOAT in their craft.

Center Ice

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,004.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Sports Goats:
NFL: Tom Brady
NBA: LeBron James
NHL: Wayne Gretzky
Golf: Tiger Woods
Boxing: Joe Louis
Wrestling: The Undertaker
Swimmer: Michael Phelps
Tennis: Serena Williams
Olympian: Jesse Owens
Athlete: Jim Thorpe
Jordan > LeBron

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol at NFL not being Jerry Rice.

Closest thing to Gretzky the NFL has.

Also lol at Lebron over Jordan.

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, you're right, @LetsGoPats, the audacity of me to bring up a relevant point.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That guy that didn't play against minorities?
Meme Reaction GIF

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not so fast.....

NBA Championships

Wilt Chamberlain2
Bill Russell11
Hahahaha
Mention Robert Horry while you are at it. Bill played with 6 HOFr’s. He was the Draymond Green of the league back then and he played in a 10 team league. Bill was never in the conversation for GOAT. Top 50 player? You could argue that

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MLB - Babe Ruth (no question about it) but I still believe Teddy Ballgame was the greatest pure hitter of all-time

NBA - MJ (for now, Lebron could have the longevity to pass him eventually)

NFL - Tom Brady (greatest prime, nah but I’ve called him GOAT for years...this is an easy one)

NHL - Wayne Gretzky - I don’t even watch hockey but this might be the easiest one

GOLF - Jack Nicklaus (BUT Tiger had the best prime we will ever see so I wouldn’t have any issue with someone picking him or co-GOAT)

Men’s Tennis - this is very debatable honestly. Federer? Nadal. I love watching Sampras and Agassi played but I would probably go with Federer

Women’s Tennis - Serena Williams- easy one

Bowling - Pete Weber

College football coach - Nick Saban

College football player - Hershel Walker

College basketball coach - John Wooden (argument for Coach K)

College basketball player - KAJ

Swimming - Justin Phelps

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hahahaha
Mention Robert Horry while you are at it. Bill played with 6 HOFr’s. He was the Draymond Green of the league back then and he played in a 10 team league. Bill was never in the conversation for GOAT. Top 50 player? You could argue that

"he was the Draymond Green of the league back then"

:pound:

Now that's hilarious. Here's a quick comparison of the two.

Russell: 12x A.S., 5x League MVP, 11x champ, averaged 22.5 rebounds for his career. Never averaged fewer than 18.6 reb's in a season. And is considered one of the greatest shot blockers in league history.

Dray: 3x A.S., no league MVP's, 3x champ, averages 6.8 reb's for his career, kicked Stevens Adams in the basket-balls. Has never averaged double digit rebounds in any season.

I find it odd that Russell gets crap because of the era he played in yet Wilt isn't subject to the same scruntiny. He's the greatest winner and one of the greatest defensive players of all time. Taking the entire history of the league into consideration there's no question Russell makes the top 50.

And if Russell gets penalized for the era he played in then you have to penalize all the great players (yes, that means Wilt too) from back then.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"he was the Draymond Green of the league back then"

:pound:

Now that's hilarious. Here's a quick comparison of the two.

Russell: 12x A.S., 5x League MVP, 11x champ, averaged 22.5 rebounds for his career. Never averaged fewer than 18.6 reb's in a season. And is considered one of the greatest shot blockers in league history.

Dray: 3x A.S., no league MVP's, 3x champ, averages 6.8 reb's for his career, kicked Stevens Adams in the basket-balls. Has never averaged double digit rebounds in any season.

I find it odd that Russell gets crap because of the era he played in yet Wilt isn't subject to the same scruntiny. He's the greatest winner and one of the greatest defensive players of all time. Taking the entire history of the league into consideration there's no question Russell makes the top 50.

And if Russell gets penalized for the era he played in then you have to penalize all the great players (yes, that means Wilt too) from back then.
He played in an 8 team league with 6 HOF’rs....the rings are great but it really doesn’t matter considering there were other players so much greater. Never said he wasn’t great but Wilt dominated him every team they played. He was a 3rd or 4th scoring option at times...no way I could EVER put a player like that into the GOAT conversation

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great rebounder, greater defender, underrated player and vocal leader...sure. He was pretty damn athletic going against 6’6” PF’s. Comparing generations is hard but the point I am making he isn’t a top 10 player, he isn’t in the conversation of GOAT. Anyone that says he is...doesn’t watch the game of basketball

RaZon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boxing......Rocky Marciano, his undefeated career, yep GOAT
Wrestling....Hulk Hogan, most people aren't pro rasslin' fans but everybody has heard of Hulk Hogan.
Track & Field......need somebody who was track & field, that has to be Carl Lewis a combination sprinter/long jumper
Football.....Tom Brady, if any doubts he erased those last season, that was totally amazing.
Basketball....Lebron James, he is just now surpassing Jordan, the longevity at the top thing
Golf....Tiger Woods, without him where would the sport be?
Swimming.....Michael Phelps, not a swimming fan but since he is the only swimmer I can think of, the Hulk Hogan thing.
Athlete.....Bo Jackson, he was also a HS decathlon champion, so dominate he didn't need the 1500 to win.
Baseball/hockey I don't follow, so...???

I am in favor of doing team sports by positions, hard to have Tom Brady above great athletes like Jim Brown and Jerry Rice, hard to talk track without Edwin Moses or Lon Myers a guy who held the American record at 50, 100, 200, 400, 800 and the mile. A once in history athlete.

Last edited:

LetsGoPats

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Battlelyon

Oh, right. You think black guys would have struck Babe Ruth out more.

Interesting. So black pitchers are better than white pitchers?

RaZon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Battlelyon

Oh, right. You think black guys would have struck Babe Ruth out more.

Interesting. So black pitchers are better than white pitchers?

We have to not ignore how things were pre black athletes. Seriously doubt Don Hutson is blowing by black cornerbacks.

"Cool Papa" Bell in the negros leagues was far faster than anyone in MLB back in the day,

Jackie Robinson was an NCAA long jump champ and a stud running back while at UCLA. Without question the best athlete in MLB.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He played in an 8 team league with 6 HOF’rs....the rings are great but it really doesn’t matter considering there were other players so much greater. Never said he wasn’t great but Wilt dominated him every team they played. He was a 3rd or 4th scoring option at times...no way I could EVER put a player like that into the GOAT conversation
Except Russell's team.....