• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Spent money wasted; both LA's and Jays

Tigertowner68

Church of Baseball member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sometimes you can become a champion by spending a lot of money.

Most times you can't.

Seems that spending money can work if you are close to already being a champion. And the signings do not indicate wholesale changes of the mix and the team's identity.

It does not work, IMO, when you either are not close to being a champion (Blue Jays) or when you allocate it in the wrong places and the people you spend it on have past their peak (Angels for sure with Pujols and Hamilton, should have focused more on the rotation; Dodgers with Beckett, Crawford and Hanley...none of which can get off the DL).

I truly admire the small market Athletics and Rays. The Twins used to fall into this group. They only started to blow after they began retaining free agents or arbitration-eligibles (see Mauer and Morneau). When they were letting Torii Hunter, Johan Santana and Francisco Liriano just walk, they scarcely missed a beat...

:omg:

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Easy now on the Twins. They are still doing what they always have. This one is just taking more time because all the studs are so young. 2015 has potential for an electric lineup.

Tigertowner68

Church of Baseball member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Easy now on the Twins. They are still doing what they always have. This one is just taking more time because all the studs are so young. 2015 has potential for an electric lineup.

:agree:

Sorry Mr Hockey. They know what they are doing, my point was just that they were further ahead spinning players that were close to being vested off because they always had a cavalry of new talent arriving.

Boy they could sure use some fireballers on the mound though, and soon...

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:agree:

Sorry Mr Hockey. They know what they are doing, my point was just that they were further ahead spinning players that were close to being vested off because they always had a cavalry of new talent arriving.

Boy they could sure use some fireballers on the mound though, and soon...

Yeah I know what you meant. It has been frusterating. Signing a bunch of washed up pitchers continuously and not getting really pitching. Still need that to match our lineup in a few years. Got a couple guys with some promise.

You are right though about teams trying to spend though. I never hopped on that Jays wagon. They tried to compensate for what they were lacking too much without realizing they were so far off to begin with. If you are going to spend big it has to be on 1 durable proven player who can push you over the top. Sadly, like what the Tigers did adding Prince last year. Then you slowly build on from there little piece by little piece(sanchez, infante, torii).