• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Sox offer Manny 8 years/$250m

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We won 62 games last year because we traded Cy f*cking Young away...Now we're gonna patch it with one guy for $250 million?

Gonna be a long few seasons...

ChiSoxFan

FC Bayern Forever #1
Hoopla Cash
$ 400.07
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We won 62 games last year because we traded Cy f*cking Young away...Now we're gonna patch it with one guy for $250 million?

Better than watching Yolmer Sanchez.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think the vast majority of Sox fans don't feel one big name signing will suddenly reverse our fortunes. More like a stepping stone - a potentially BIG stepping stone tho.

ChiSoxFan

FC Bayern Forever #1
Hoopla Cash
$ 400.07
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That was the one true asset the team had, Sale. The rebuild would’ve been half-assed if they held onto Sale and traded ancillary pieces. Don’t get me wrong fellow Sox fan, seeing players you trade away succeed big time hurts. Had to do it though. He also cut a jersey up and seemed like a prick. He was one of the bozos that wanted LaRoche’s kid in the clubhouse everyday, which was just crotchtarded.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the vast majority of Sox fans don't feel one big name signing will suddenly reverse our fortunes. More like a stepping stone - a potentially BIG stepping stone tho.

These are the kind of moves that Reinsdorf typically makes when he thinks we are close...and too many times we've absolutely fallen on the sword:

Adam Dunn after an 88 win season. (79 wins in following season)
Albert Belle and Jaime Navarro after an 85 win season. (80 wins in following season)
David Wells after a 95 win season. (83 wins in the following season)

We're a 62-win team giving one man the largest contract in our history FOUR-FOLD. This is probably going to end very, very badly. Reinsdorf might be worried he's gonna croak and just wants that one last piece of White Sox pie.

Eh well...at least it'll be interesting.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
anymore than one big name leaving means we'll never compete again.
still surprises me that so many fans are still so short-sighted and bent out of shape over trading sale.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
anymore than one big name leaving means we'll never compete again.
still surprises me that so many fans are still so short-sighted and bent out of shape over trading sale.

Whatever Sale would have cost us would have been better than what we're about to pay this man...and as far as it goes, I'll roll with quality pitching as a strength any day.

ChiSoxFan

FC Bayern Forever #1
Hoopla Cash
$ 400.07
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whatever Sale would have cost us would have been better than what we're about to pay this man...and as far as it goes, I'll roll with quality pitching as a strength any day.
Machado had 37 HR, 107 RBI, .905 OPS, and 146 OPS+ last year. Career OPS+ of 121. He’s a very good player. Plus, Sox have Cease, Dunning, and Kopech eventually coming. Sale is gone and always will be.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These are the kind of moves that Reinsdorf typically makes when he thinks we are close...and too many times we've absolutely fallen on the sword:

Adam Dunn after an 88 win season. (79 wins in following season)
Albert Belle and Jaime Navarro after an 85 win season. (80 wins in following season)
David Wells after a 95 win season. (83 wins in the following season)

We're a 62-win team giving one man the largest contract in our history FOUR-FOLD. This is probably going to end very, very badly. Reinsdorf might be worried he's gonna croak and just wants that one last piece of White Sox pie.

Eh well...at least it'll be interesting.
I agree that in previous years the brass made numerous attempts to fix our team and trying to make it playoff-ready by taking the band aid approach. However, I do believe this go-around is different. We really are trying to build from the ground up, but rarely does such an approach ever equal championship success without also dipping into the FA pool now and then. I don't think this is a playoff team in '19, but I feel the groundwork is there for us to be serious postseason contenders starting in '20 and for years to come afterward.

tedman2012

Hoopla Cash
$ 981.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would hate to think we would've ever paid this much(o's fan ) . I hope that money is for manny at 3rd and not shortstop . manny has all the talent but gets lazy at times and still does childish shit . good luck if you get him . I hope he does well .

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Machado had 37 HR, 107 RBI, .905 OPS, and 146 OPS+ last year. Career OPS+ of 121. He’s a very good player. Plus, Sox have Cease, Dunning, and Kopech eventually coming. Sale is gone and always will be.

Or, you know, we could be the Texas Rangers of the early 2000s...but worse...because both our team (62 wins vs 71 wins) and the player (Machado vs. prime A-rod) are probably worse....Problem is, if it happens to us, gear up for another decade of futility.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that in previous years the brass made numerous attempts to fix our team and trying to make it playoff-ready by taking the band aid approach. However, I do believe this go-around is different. We really are trying to build from the ground up, but rarely does such an approach ever equal championship success without also dipping into the FA pool now and then. I don't think this is a playoff team in '19, but I feel the groundwork is there for us to be serious postseason contenders starting in '20 and for years to come afterward.

That "we'll be good in xxxx" goalpost keeps slidin' backwards...year...after year...after year...

ChiSoxFan

FC Bayern Forever #1
Hoopla Cash
$ 400.07
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or, you know, we could be the Texas Rangers of the early 2000s...but worse...because both our team (62 wins vs 71 wins) and the player (Machado vs. prime A-rod) are probably worse....Problem is, if it happens to us, gear up for another decade of futility.
We are already used to futility rooting for a franchise that has only won 3 titles in 118 years. At this point, with the highly rated farm system, Sox need to bring in top shelf talent to compliment it. You can’t honestly hope Sox stick with all rookies and hope for the best. Plus, attendance was in the toilet last year, lowest since 1999. Reinsdorf is losing market share in a huge city by the year. A facelift is needed ASAP.

ChiSoxFan

FC Bayern Forever #1
Hoopla Cash
$ 400.07
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Separate thought, if the Sox lose out on Machado and signed Jay and traded for Alonso, Hahn/Reinsdorf will look like utter asshats. Sox already look pretty ridiculous acquiring guys to make one guy happy.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We are already used to futility rooting for a franchise that has only won 3 titles in 118 years. At this point, with the highly rated farm system, Sox need to bring in top shelf talent to compliment it. You can’t honestly hope Sox stick with all rookies and hope for the best. Plus, attendance was in the toilet last year, lowest since 1999. Reinsdorf is losing market share in a huge city by the year. A facelift is needed ASAP.

If you think a 250 million dollar contract attached to a 75 win season is going to change any of that...Sox attendance has been an issue for the majority of my 40 years...It's the same song and dance. Unless Reinsdorf and Co. are just hoping to "put lipstick on a pig" and sell next year...Then you may be onto something with the facelift concept.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Separate thought, if the Sox lose out on Machado and signed Jay and traded for Alonso, Hahn/Reinsdorf will look like utter asshats. Sox already look pretty ridiculous acquiring guys to make one guy happy.

Oh no...Their signing them has nothing to do with Machado. They told me so. So it must be true...

This is going to happen...and we're gonna be crossing some serious fingerage that it doesn't blow up in our faces...because this is huge coin for our franchise.