• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Sox non-tender Avi Garcia & Matt Davidson

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's your guys take on the two non-tenders to these veterans? I can't say I'm shocked, but definitely surprised. I'm not up on all the legal schmegal of MLB contracts, but doesn't this make them complete free agents without any form of compensation with whom they sign elsewhere?

Apparently the brass felt Garcia was going to receive too much money in arbitration, so they decided to cut their losses up front. Don't think money was quite the issue with Davidson. My guess here is they wanted to free up the DH spot for Palka, a better power hitter who can also play some right field when needed. He's bar far the biggest beneficiary of these two players' releases.

Now I've been insisting for some time that the Sox have only been blowing smoke regarding the pursuit of fellow right fielder Bryce Harper. Even with Garcia's release, which would very much open the door for going after Harper, I'll still continue to believe that this is a nothing burger. Makes much more sense to go after a much cheaper Michael Brantley and leave plenty of $$$ to snag a couple of veteran pitchers, maybe a starter and bullpen stud. Besides, a certain farm player by the name of Eloy Jimenez will soon be occupying right field.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
also a chance they will go after garcia for less money. probably not davidson who i never considered a major leaguer.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i'd be amazed if he doesn't open the season with him and this very fact is why they non-tendered garcia.
On paper, couldn't agree with you more. But this goofy 'time served' issue that prevents hot ticket rooks like Eloy, and the Cubs Bryant before him, from joining their team straight out of Spring Training, so that the club gets an extra year of service out of them will likely come into play here. Who knows, maybe it won't happen with Eloy, but I'm not counting my chickens by any stretch. One thing I'm 150% more certain of tho, and that is the attempt to remove this insane clause will be far and away the players union #1 objective when the negotiations for the new CBA commence.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No room to keep stringing Avi along with Eloy coming up.

Palka is an ideal DH only in a platoon. I don't think he's earned every day DH honors. I don't trust him hitting against LHP.

He'd be a very ideal left handed bat off the bench for a contender. Helluva job pinch hitting last season. Maybe we flip him near the deadline.