• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Sox get three on the All Star squad

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, I thought two making it would be tops.

Giolito
McCann
Abreu

Represent!!

Would have figured Moncada was more deserving than Abreu but still solid choices.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would have figured Moncada was more deserving than Abreu but still solid choices.
I'm still surprised we even got three on the roster, so as much as Yoan might otherwise deserve a spot, it's hard to complain, especially considering that Abreu is tied for the AL lead in RBIs.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Moncada is more deserving than Abreu, easily. However, Abreu is a known commodity. Moncada is an up and comer on a team that the public still only knows bits and pieces about. If Moncada had also gotten as hot as he did down the stretch of the first half, earlier on? He'd probably have gotten in anyway.

Bregman/Chapman are very deserving, though. It's not like he got screwed. With Voit and Cron's injuries. First base became pretty easy for Jose to slide in.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
easily?
for the sake of argument, abreu might be considered more deserving based on more extra base hits, more total bases, fewer k's, way more rbi's, and a much better average (more than 60 points) with risp.

the batting average difference between the two (.030) could change in a week whereas those other numbers ... not so much.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, I thought two making it would be tops.

Giolito
McCann
Abreu

Represent!!
Giolito looks like he's popped his wad for this season. Hasn't had a quality start his last four times out. He's fading. Maybe it is just mid-season dead arm syndrome and he comes back strong in August/September. But I doubt it. Dude was over-ahieving.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
easily?
for the sake of argument, abreu might be considered more deserving based on more extra base hits, more total bases, fewer k's, way more rbi's, and a much better average (more than 60 points) with risp.

the batting average difference between the two (.030) could change in a week whereas those other numbers ... not so much.
I agree - it can be argued who has been the better player overall, but by no means is Moncada easily better than Abreu. And I'm assuming that no one questions the legitimacy of Abreu's addition to the AS squad. This man is one RBI shy of the league lead. This alone give him complete cred.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
easily?

Abreu is a first baseman. Moncada is a third baseman. You don't compare the two against each other on raw numbers. Moncada is pacing for a WAR just under 6. Abreu for just under 2.5.

Moncada's numbers are elite among 3rd baseman. Abreu's are simply above average among first baseman.

This isn't "whose a better hitter" (where Moncada still probably wins by a nose). It's "whose more deserving of the ASG". For what it's worth as well... Moncada has also been very good defensively at third, while Abreu is his usual subpar self with the glove. Moncada also brings speed to the table on the base paths.

However, for the sake of some banter - I'll entertain the Abreu/Moncada "straight-up" argument as hitters.

Moncada is slashing .308/.364/.554 (.908) OPS+ of 138 and Abreu is slashing .278/.316/.522 (.838) OPS+ of 118

Abreu having 7 less K's doesn't make up for being out-hit in every one of those major categories. Especially when Moncada has precisely 7 more walks. That's across the board superiority. That will not change in any given week barring some VERY intense polar opposites in production. I would foresee gaining 5 XBH's on Abreu in a hot week as being easier than that.

The HR and RBI numbers are not as far as you make it seem... and they get closer when you take into account that Moncada had a couple injuries and has 34 less PA's. Abreu also hits behind Moncada and has more opportunities to drive in runs. Where as Moncada hits in front of Leury and our pitiful bottom of the order. I would certainly HOPE that Abreu has more RBI's.

In conclusion, I find it hard to make the argument that Abreu has been an equal to or superior hitter. He can cling to raw RBI totals and his average with RISP... that's about it. I don't think that's enough to overcome being head/shoulders behind in every slash line department, OPS and OPS+

We're talking 70 points lower in OPS. That's a lot.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would also add that it was a tough year for Moncada to have to transition to third base. As it's a very top heavy position right now. Only 15 players in all of the major leagues have a better fWAR than Moncada, but Bregman and Chapman are playing at a monstrous level. Chapman's glove is also hall of fame level good.

If he were still a second baseman, he'd be getting a ton of national attention right now. Lamaheiu and Marte would be his only competition for being the best in baseball.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rich, I don't think the argument is who between the two is having an overall better year. It can be debated for either side. It was your take that Moncada was easily the better player that calls for a bit of hyperbole. Honestly, if I had to give the edge as to who so far has had the better year, I'd likely give the edge to Moncada. But easily so? Not a chance.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would also add that it was a tough year for Moncada to have to transition to third base. As it's a very top heavy position right now. Only 15 players in all of the major leagues have a better fWAR than Moncada, but Bregman and Chapman are playing at a monstrous level. Chapman's glove is also hall of fame level good.

If he were still a second baseman, he'd be getting a ton of national attention right now. Lamaheiu and Marte would be his only competition for being the best in baseball.

just saying there was nothing easy about the selection. and if it was ... why did abreu get the nod? is the selection committee that stupid? i doubt the selection committee looks at all the things you pointed out. they look at the big stats and one of them is rbi's not to mention they know who abreu is and his name is familiar to the people who buy the tickets. for them i think the selection of abreu was "easy".

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd also like to take a moment to heartily laugh from the depths of my belly that both Machado and Harper missed the All-Star Game.

ChiSoxFan

FC Bayern Forever #1
Hoopla Cash
$ 400.07
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd also like to take a moment to heartily laugh from the depths of my belly that both Machado and Harper missed the All-Star Game.
Machado does have a 2.1 WAR, 20 HR, and 119 OPS+ thus far. You can argue he deserves an AS nod, but I get what you’re saying.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rich, I don't think the argument is who between the two is having an overall better year. It can be debated for either side. It was your take that Moncada was easily the better player that calls for a bit of hyperbole. Honestly, if I had to give the edge as to who so far has had the better year, I'd likely give the edge to Moncada. But easily so? Not a chance.

I said "easily more deserving of the ASG". I didn't say "easily the better player".

Even though, with a WAR double that of Abreu... That could be said as well. However, I digress.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
just saying there was nothing easy about the selection. and if it was ... why did abreu get the nod? is the selection committee that stupid? i doubt the selection committee looks at all the things you pointed out. they look at the big stats and one of them is rbi's not to mention they know who abreu is and his name is familiar to the people who buy the tickets. for them i think the selection of abreu was "easy".

Well, Abreu got the nod because Voit and Cron were injured. Santana was made the starter in front of him. He was not voted in. Two guys had to go down for this to happen and he still didn't start.

The triple slash line is also far more important than RBI's these days to those evaluating players. OBP? OPS? These are major stats. There's a big movement in the advanced stat world right now asserting that RBI's have always been overvalued.

And yeah... I get the familiarity part. Said that myself.