• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Sox fire two hitting coaches

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Accountability has to lie somewhere. Our offense was atrocious.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Accountability has to lie somewhere. Our offense was atrocious.

To me, this is all about how much we K as a team and how little we walk.

It's been our rep for a long time. All our young players coming up struggle with this and Moncada seems to be the only one who has shown tangible signs of improvement in the K department (he already walked a lot).

This team has to be more disciplined.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's been our rep for a long time. All our young players coming up struggle with this and Moncada seems to be the only one who has shown tangible signs of improvement in the K department (he already walked a lot).

to be fair, he was better but, not that much better. he played in 17 fewer games this year and almost 70 fewer ab's.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
to be fair, he was better but, not that much better. he played in 17 fewer games this year and almost 70 fewer ab's.

Yeah, but he did improve his K%. Also, I'm fine with the way his approach is now. The way he K's is better than it used to be, if that makes sense.

He spoke about it at some point during the year. If you remember, the guy was SUPER conservative at the plate and would look at everything his first couple seasons. He became more aggressive this season. He attributed that to his rise in batting average. He walks a little less, but he gets more hits and ultimately it also lowered his K%. I would not change his approach as it worked this year. After last year, yeah... he needed to switch things up.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Just one of many reasons why I was so high on the Sox drafting Madrigal last year. I was sick of seeing us as a team strikeout waiting to happen. Since Madrigal has turned pro he's had 628 total ABs and has struck out just 21 times. And remember, those are ABs, not total PAs. Yes, that SO rate will increase when he hits the big time, but it won't be a giant increase. It will be refreshing to see a player put his bat on the ball the vast majority of the time.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just one of many reasons why I was so high on the Sox drafting Madrigal last year. I was sick of seeing us as a team strikeout waiting to happen. Since Madrigal has turned pro he's had 628 total ABs and has struck out just 21 times. And remember, those are ABs, not total PAs. Yes, that SO rate will increase when he hits the big time, but it won't be a giant increase. It will be refreshing to see a player put his bat on the ball the vast majority of the time.

It's one of the reasons why I won't exactly shed a tear if we elect not to resign Abreu.

He's a bad defensive first baseman, past his prime and is a 1.5-2.5 WAR offensive option. As a DH - his WAR would only dip. I just don't see why we're so hot and sure on the idea of throwing a big(ish) chunk of change at Abreu to keep him around. He better really take a nice hometown discount.

And... I know... I know... He's "big for the clubhouse" and a mentor. However, the kids are professionals and will manage to survive without "daddy".

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, but he did improve his K%. Also, I'm fine with the way his approach is now. The way he K's is better than it used to be, if that makes sense.

He spoke about it at some point during the year. If you remember, the guy was SUPER conservative at the plate and would look at everything his first couple seasons. He became more aggressive this season. He attributed that to his rise in batting average. He walks a little less, but he gets more hits and ultimately it also lowered his K%. I would not change his approach as it worked this year. After last year, yeah... he needed to switch things up.

If he hits over .300, the K's can be forgiven...and that's from yours truly who wanted to crucify him earlier in the season. Still not a fan of constant whiffing, but you are right, he's on the right path to get those k's even lower. Almost 1/3 plate at bats and over 1/4 plate appearances is still not great. Hopefully a new coach/approach/growth can improve that.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's one of the reasons why I won't exactly shed a tear if we elect not to resign Abreu.

He's a bad defensive first baseman, past his prime and is a 1.5-2.5 WAR offensive option. As a DH - his WAR would only dip. I just don't see why we're so hot and sure on the idea of throwing a big(ish) chunk of change at Abreu to keep him around. He better really take a nice hometown discount.

And... I know... I know... He's "big for the clubhouse" and a mentor. However, the kids are professionals and will manage to survive without "daddy".
I think I'd feel more like how you feel if I thought our latest pick, Andrew Vaughn, was ready to step in and take over at 1B. But he's still two years out. I'd hate to see all those RBIs vanish without some proven run producer to take Jose's place.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think I'd feel more like how you feel if I thought our latest pick, Andrew Vaughn, was ready to step in and take over at 1B. But he's still two years out. I'd hate to see all those RBIs vanish without some proven run producer to take Jose's place.

I agree on that. I just would hate for us to commit beyond say... 2021.

A 1-2 year deal is good. However, I feel like we're going to wind-up giving him a 4-ish year deal. He will be dust in 4 years.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

A 1-2 year deal is good. However, I feel like we're going to wind-up giving him a 4-ish year deal. He will be dust in 4 years.
Perhaps a good compromise will be for the Sox to give Jose a 4-5 year deal, but either side can opt out after year 2, with a buyout offer to Jose if it's the Sox who do the opting.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

maybe a good 3 year deal and then trade him before the season starts! of course that won't happen but i bet we could pick up a good player or two that way.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One disturbing stat is the Sox had the worst k/bb ratio in the majors last year at 4.1/1. The number of SOs bug me much less the lack of walks. Whoever will be these replacement hitting coaches should really focus on improving our guys showing more patience at the plate and a willingness to take a free base.