• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Sox at A’s (3 gm series)

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sox seem to have their confidence back after the face plant near the season's end. Keuchel was signed for a start like in game 2 - and the Sox need to dominate and get an extra day of rest in before the next series.

Having Engle and Garcia at the corners was a good Renteria move as the Sox outfield gobbled up a lot of well hit balls with ease.

Also a small shoutout to Grandal for paying some dividends on his contract yesterday with a big HR.

Timmy Anderson's 1st inning hit was psychologically important - as it has been most of the season.

The most gratifying thing for me to witness as a White Sox fan is Jose Abreu - having the best season of his career after signing a three year contract that many thought was a money giveaway. Jose deserves every accolade for his commitment to the White Sox and his teammates.

Intangibles dun good. You go yard in the dance and we cool. Still not gaga over him or his voodoo value...but he drops a few more dongs and I will welcome him into my home for blackened fish sandwiches, iced tea and some mochi balls for dessert.

This team would not be where it is without Abreu. You couldn't write a better script. Very happy for him. He's holding it down for us big time while we wait for the younger guys to do their MVP do.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Said it once...Will say it again. I have zero beef with Colome. I was never for trading him. He was one of the few bright spots of our sh*t previous seasons.

My comment that you quoted was more about just how easy the whole team, including Colome at the end, took it on easy us fans yesterday. (God knows we're a fickle bunch) After a brutal week, they literally went out yesterday and flipped the switch. They could have crumbled after last week's disaster. Instead, they played not only well, but convincingly enough to not just us Sox fans, but casual baseball fans that our team belonged right where they are and were a playoff team to respect. That's what winners do-come back and thrive in the face of adversity. Yesterday builds even more confidence that this could be something special we have with this squad.

That's all we can really ask for as Sox fans....Well, that and churros. ;)
Some of that is just baseball. Yeah they looked shitty the last 10 games but each game is new. If they lose today they will look shitty doing it. Then if they win game 3 they look great again. It's a very frustrating game when the best teams lose 40% of the time. It's like if the best NFL teams were the ones that go 10-6

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All Champions have to overcome adversity and from what I've seen Renteria is adversity enough. ;)

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All Champions have to overcome adversity and from what I've seen Renteria is adversity enough. ;)
Ozzie Guillen and Ned Yost proved you don't need a good manager to win a ring

It helps to have one like Bruce Bochy, but it's not a requirement

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I trust you guys realize that for all the fun it is bagging on him, Ricky is likely the leading candidate for AL Mgr of the Year. Had the Sox not faltered in the final week, his selection would have been a shoo-in. Even despite this, his only real competition is Kevin Cash of the Rays and possibly Charlie Montoyo of the Blue Jays.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ozzie Guillen and Ned Yost proved you don't need a good manager to win a ring

It helps to have one like Bruce Bochy, but it's not a requirement

The entire sports fan/media nation destroyed Guillen and the 2005 White Sox for pretty much the entire season start to finish about how they were frauds and wouldn't win sh*t when it was all said and done...and they did anyway.

Then a few months later Guillen goes on national TV and calls Jay Mariotti a f*g. When he (as you know he would) got media lambasted, he apologized but doubled down anyway saying Mariotti is a piece of garbage and nobody likes him.

Ozzie Guillen is a national treasure.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The entire sports fan/media nation destroyed Guillen and the 2005 White Sox for pretty much the entire season start to finish about how they were frauds and wouldn't win sh*t when it was all said and done...and they did anyway.

Then a few months later Guillen goes on national TV and calls Jay Mariotti a f*g. When he (as you know he would) got media lambasted, he apologized but doubled down anyway saying Mariotti is a piece of garbage and nobody likes him.

Ozzie Guillen is a national treasure.
I love Ozzie, but he wasn't any good as a manager.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love Ozzie, but he wasn't any good as a manager.

I still feel bad about that Marlins disaster...but he did it to himself..sooo...yeah.

We had the right talent and he was the guy that brought a "f*ck the world, we got this" attitude...so it was perfect for that 2005 team, but yeah, over the course it became obvious he was more in the right place at the right time than anything.

Whatever. He was a big part of ending our drought so 2006-2011 is water under the bridge as far as I'm concerned. And I don't blame Jerry for sticking with him so long. What Guillen did in 05 was worth rewarding/providing loyalty beyond what average reasoning would lead decision-making to.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still feel bad about that Marlins disaster...but he did it to himself..sooo...yeah.

We had the right talent and he was the guy that brought a "f*ck the world, we got this" attitude...so it was perfect for that 2005 team, but yeah, over the course it became obvious he was more in the right place at the right time than anything.

Whatever. He was a big part of ending our drought so 2006-2011 is water under the bridge as far as I'm concerned. And I don't blame Jerry for sticking with him so long. What Guillen did in 05 was worth rewarding/providing loyalty beyond what average reasoning would lead decision-making to.
so you're a results guy and will forgive any sin no matter how egregious as long as your team benefits one time. wow! i couldn't disagree with you more. guillen was/is plainly an asshole. loyalty is a blight! loyalty is what has kept kw around so long no matter how bad he fucked this team. a one time success certainly should NOT affect decision making past its time. the sox became a joke of a team for years yet that's ok because he happened to be the manager in '05? sorry ... can't go along with this thinking.
as for where we are now, i can't see changing managers UNTIL his decisions start to obviously screw the teams potential. after one year of such he'd be gone for me. and it wouldn't bother me much if this was his last year. the cubs were smart enough to do this. aren't we any smarter than the cubs?

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so you're a results guy and will forgive any sin no matter how egregious as long as your team benefits one time. wow! i couldn't disagree with you more. guillen was/is plainly an asshole. loyalty is a blight! loyalty is what has kept kw around so long no matter how bad he fucked this team. a one time success certainly should NOT affect decision making past its time. the sox became a joke of a team for years yet that's ok because he happened to be the manager in '05? sorry ... can't go along with this thinking.
as for where we are now, i can't see changing managers UNTIL his decisions start to obviously screw the teams potential. after one year of such he'd be gone for me. and it wouldn't bother me much if this was his last year. the cubs were smart enough to do this. aren't we any smarter than the cubs?

No results = GTFO eh? Counterpoint: Tony LaRussa.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

As for if we'll dump Renteria after this season? You and I both know that's not happening...even if we got rekt 20-0 these next 2 games. So if that's the measure, no we are not any smarter than the Cubs.

I get where you're coming from though ftr. I was not pleased with the Sox's failures in the years after 2005. We could/should have been more. So that falls on Guillen (and Williams and Co too). I'm just over it a decade later and see Guillen in a positive light. Was he a HOF coach? Nah...but he was better than some of the schlubs we threw out there in my lifetime...*cough Bevington cough Ventura cough Fregosi*

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually think Ozzie was a decent manager, at least up to the Sox winning the WS. The problem was his ego became much larger than the manager's position requires. He started believing his own hype, which eventually led to his downfall. Personally, I don't miss him one bit as far as running the club. He's not bad as an analyst, altho due to his poor grasp of our language, his diction is often quite grinding on the ears.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn...Trouble in the first...Come on Keuchel!

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ugh...Ok...Well...Early hole. Come on bats.

Trudem

He's no good to me dead!
Hoopla Cash
$ 350.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
awful start by Keuchel. Cannot give up easy stuff. Needs to get ahead

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Leury. :(

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
madrigals defense and base running has been pathetic since coming up. for a contact hitter you need to be good at those 2 things to be worth anything

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
madrigals defense and base running has been pathetic since coming up. for a contact hitter you need to be good at those 2 things to be worth anything

He's no Randy Brown...

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
F*ck...Keuchel bones us when it counts... :(

Trudem

He's no good to me dead!
Hoopla Cash
$ 350.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For a guy with a bunch of postseason experience and success Keuchel is not doing his job well today.