• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Source: Competition committee will consider change to Bowman recovery type of play

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Didn't know where to put this, sorry for hijacking this thread:

Roger Goodell - C - Free Agent

Speaking Monday, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said the league could eventually abolish the extra point.

"The extra point is almost automatic," Goodell said. "I believe we had five missed extra points this year out of 1,200 some odd. So it's a very small fraction of the play, and you want to add excitement with every play." Goodell said the league is intrigued by a proposal that would automatically grant seven points for every touchdown, but still allow teams to try for an eighth point via a traditional offensive play. The catch is that if you fail to convert, the touchdown then becomes worth only six points. Perhaps the most perfunctory play in sports, extra points serve almost no purpose at the professional level.
Source: NFL.com

Jan 20 - 5:11 PM

optimist4720

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Goo-dell messing with tradition again... how about se the ball at the 30 yrd line instead of the 3 and kick the extra point?? That would add a bit of spice to the kick...or the 40..:suds:

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Consider?

Irrelevant. Too little, too late. Yet again.

Fuck you NFL.

The second we recovered the ball the next play, I thought, "that is enough for the league to sweep it under the rug." But maybe, and this might being fatigue setting in, since it didn't actually affect the game all that much since we recovered the ball ten or so yards forward (instead of from the 1), the NFL will have little enough pressure that they could change it, since they don't have to admit to costing a team a game. But I don't know, it could got either way.

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't get what this rule is protecting the league from? Fumble recoveries are not judgment calls, plus it would obviously have to be definitive for the call to be reversed any way.

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Speaking of bad non calls what about the intentional grounding play on Russell Wilson? The announcers were arguing if he was out of the pocket, but that was irrelevant since the ball didn't go out of bounds.

zman1527

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The NFL has their head up their asses on the reviews. How many times as a fan at home on your couch do you see a bad call and then the commentators say "bad call, but it is not reviewable". Why? I suppose their are some plays that should not be, maybe PI, but a heckuva lot more should be. Speed up and clean up the game by just having another ref with a tv like us. he sees a bad one he overturns it. They make it out to be some big deal that it does not need to be. And why try to make the coaches try to guess? And why have the lead ref have to over to the sideline to see what another guy could already be set up to see?

zman1527

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Speaking Monday, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said the league could eventually abolish the extra point.

"The extra point is almost automatic," Goodell said. "I believe we had five missed extra points this year out of 1,200 some odd. So it's a very small fraction of the play, and you want to add excitement with every play." Goodell said the league is intrigued by a proposal that would automatically grant seven points for every touchdown, but still allow teams to try for an eighth point via a traditional offensive play. The catch is that if you fail to convert, the touchdown then becomes worth only six points. Perhaps the most perfunctory play in sports, extra points serve almost no purpose at the professional level.

Me likey this idea. The point after is just a time waster.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NFL has their head up their asses on the reviews. How many times as a fan at home on your couch do you see a bad call and then the commentators say "bad call, but it is not reviewable". Why? I suppose their are some plays that should not be, maybe PI, but a heckuva lot more should be. Speed up and clean up the game by just having another ref with a tv like us. he sees a bad one he overturns it. They make it out to be some big deal that it does not need to be. And why try to make the coaches try to guess? And why have the lead ref have to over to the sideline to see what another guy could already be set up to see?

Maybe they can make judgment calls be worth two challenges, one timeout (2 is too strong). That would be enough incentive that nobody would challenge it if there was that much of a subjectiveness to it. But then again, you are appealing to the person who made the decision and are not likely to win. You could win on head to the helmet type of call, but certain plays you won't.

zman1527

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Maybe they can make judgment calls be worth two challenges, one timeout (2 is too strong). That would be enough incentive that nobody would challenge it if there was that much of a subjectiveness to it. But then again, you are appealing to the person who made the decision and are not likely to win. You could win on head to the helmet type of call, but certain plays you won't.

Why involve the coaches at all? I know why they limit them, so that not every single penalty is challenged. But again, I can see having a ref at a tv. He sees something to check, he beeps the ref to hold up for a bit, or if it is immediately obvious, just indicates to overturn. Why is this being made so complicated? They have some stupid idea that the ref on the field has to be the one to review the play. Why? We at home can see most of these plays called right or wrong easily. An objective trained ref could do it better.

moxie

Polite as fuck.
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,538.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There's a thread on the general board:
http://www.sportshoopla.com/forums/...discussion/135770-extra-points-abolished.html :suds:

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why involve the coaches at all? I know why they limit them, so that not every single penalty is challenged. But again, I can see having a ref at a tv. He sees something to check, he beeps the ref to hold up for a bit, or if it is immediately obvious, just indicates to overturn. Why is this being made so complicated? They have some stupid idea that the ref on the field has to be the one to review the play. Why? We at home can see most of these plays called right or wrong easily. An objective trained ref could do it better.

I don't know about leaving it to one referee in some room we can't see. I think the coaches need to have that ability to challenge. But I do agree that every play* should be reviewable and it wouldn't hurt to have somebody reviewing all plays actively. The NFL definitely has the money to pay these guys, make the referring more legit, and maybe make more business if people buy in to the integrity not just entertainment or fandom.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What is there to think about? Don't they want to get the call right?

Of course they want to get the calls right. Having New England, Green Bay, Manning, and other favorite teams in Super Bowl is the right call. If they are not careful, the refs may screw up and send the wrong team to the Super Bowl. Got to get it right. The good thing is these refs usually have the deals on the side individually (not NFL-based) to align their incentive so that they don't forget their priorities.

;)

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't get why Harbaugh could not have challenged if Bowman fumbled the ball or not. I guess since the officials didn't rule a fumble by him it basically never happened in their minds so it couldn't be reviewed, but that sorta defeats the entire purpose of replay.

zman1527

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I don't know about leaving it to one referee in some room we can't see. I think the coaches need to have that ability to challenge. But I do agree that every play* should be reviewable and it wouldn't hurt to have somebody reviewing all plays actively. The NFL definitely has the money to pay these guys, make the referring more legit, and maybe make more business if people buy in to the integrity not just entertainment or fandom.

Doesn't matter what room he is in, he is seeing the same thing we see. Why does the NFL not want to reverse bad calls that all 10 million peeps watching a game can see?

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doesn't matter what room he is in, he is seeing the same thing we see. Why does the NFL not want to reverse bad calls that all 10 million peeps watching a game can see?

I'm referring to a conspiracy/rigging, not about actual physical viewing. There will always be plays that we see one way and they don't see it that way. I get it for the obvious plays like last game. So what I'm saying is your proposal is good, but I would keep the coach's challenges.