• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Sonny Gray to Reds

carson

Death by inches
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,018.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Reds are acquiring SP Sonny Gray from the Yankees in exchange for their #7 prospect, 2B Shed Long, a draft pick, and a yet-to-be announced lesser prospect.

Reds Pitching Coach Derrick Johnson coached Gray at Vanderbilt.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When they say draft pick, how does that work? I thought you couldn't trade picks?

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When they say draft pick, how does that work? I thought you couldn't trade picks?

You can trade a select few picks.

Not a terrible gamble after this latest revelation.

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to Jon Heyman of Fancred, the Yankees are finalizing the trade that would send Sonny Gray to the Reds.

The Reds balked at the Yankees' insistence on including catching prospect Tyler Stephenson in the deal. Instead, they'll receive second base prospect Shed Long, a draft pick and perhaps another lower level prospect that hasn't been identified yet. It certainly looks like this deal will happen, everything just needs to be finalized before it becomes official.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Will be interesting to see how Gray does with the Reds. He's a good pitcher, wonder if he reclaim his old magic in Cincinatti.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Deal being held up as the reds try to negotiate an extension

nynasty

nynasty
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,181.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keep hearing that the prospective draft pick is going to be a sandwich pick, which looks to be #36 overall.

That plus their #7 prospect?

Take the deal.

ChiSoxFan

FC Bayern Forever #1
Hoopla Cash
$ 400.07
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The park he's going to has short porches. Hopefully he pitches closer to his 3.66 average ERA and not the Gray Yankees fans saw.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems like an awful lot to give up in order to get him

Ickey Shuffle

Do you have a minute to talk about Joe Burrow?
Supporting Member Level 1
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So these are all of the new Reds acquisitions so far:

* Tanner Roark
* Alex Wood
* Yasiel Puig
* Matt Kemp
* Sonny Gray

Maybe Corey Kluber or Dallas Keuchel too. This the most action I've seen from them in God knows how long.

I might be able to watch the Reds past the month of May for a change.

Last edited:

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yikes:suds:

ESPN's Jeff Passan reports that the Reds have completed a trade for Sonny Gray and signed him to a three-year contract extension.

The extension is worth $30.5 million and contains a $12 million club option for 2023. That means with the righty already under contract for $7.5 million in 2019, the Reds will have him under control for as long as five years for a total of $50 million. Cincinnati will also get pitching prospect Reiver Sanmartin in the deal, while second base prospect Shed Long and a competitive balance pick will head to the Yankees. Gray should benefit from a move to the National League, but Great American Ball Park obviously isn't the best landing spot as he aims for a bounce-back season.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sanmartin is raising some eyebrows. Could be, the Reds got an even better deal than they hoped. I don't think Gray moves the needle much but he does offer some rotation stability. Long wasn't going to play 2B in Cincy ahead of Scooter or Senzel.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cincinnati is the most hitter friendly park in the Majors(well, home run wise at least). A lot of routine popups go for home runs there, and that's on both sides of the field.

He'll be getting out of the AL East and won't have to face those .5 players that do nothing but hit and sit on the bench, so that should help some.

But I think he's a guy that really benefited from the marine layer and the unholy amount of in play foul territory in Oakland.

Ickey Shuffle

Do you have a minute to talk about Joe Burrow?
Supporting Member Level 1
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sanmartin is raising some eyebrows. Could be, the Reds got an even better deal than they hoped. I don't think Gray moves the needle much but he does offer some rotation stability. Long wasn't going to play 2B in Cincy ahead of Scooter or Senzel.

Whatever we do, just don't trade Senzel.

When is Hunter going to play in the big leagues if you know? I thought he was coming in right away. Is he THAT raw?

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whatever we do, just don't trade Senzel.

When is Hunter going to play in the big leagues if you know? I thought he was coming in right away. Is he THAT raw?
Greene is 18 or 19 ... yes, far too raw given the ACL issue he had and has recovered from. He has a few innings in Low A, hardly a quantifier of his talent. He has amazing tools but I wouldn't expect him till 2021. There are also service time issues.

Senzel appears to be automatic and if he can play CF, he gives the Reds an extra utility player behind Scooter, who will probably regress a bit this year. That's speculation.

If Senzel can play CF decently, he would move to 2B in 2020 and Taylor Trammell will be ready in CF.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cincinnati is the most hitter friendly park in the Majors(well, home run wise at least). A lot of routine popups go for home runs there, and that's on both sides of the field.

But I think he's a guy that really benefited from the marine layer and the unholy amount of in play foul territory in Oakland.
Spot-on about Oakland. GABP is a homer-friendly park, but guys who don't throw home runs can succeed there. The trick is to make them solo shots.

Gray is a stabilizer for the pitching staff. The extension will matter and it gives Cincy some options to deal off a few AAAA pitchers who could be "rescued" by some self-important pitching coach.

He doesn't make the Reds a contender but he helps make them relevant, which is the last step in a rebuild toward contending.

If you look at their 2016-7 pitching numbers, if gives you a headache. If Gray's numbers outside Y.S. are even remotely repeatable, he adds a win to the record. He's replacing Homer Bailey, who had maybe the worst record, historically, last year in franchise history.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Spot-on about Oakland. GABP is a homer-friendly park, but guys who don't throw home runs can succeed there. The trick is to make them solo shots.

Gray is a stabilizer for the pitching staff. The extension will matter and it gives Cincy some options to deal off a few AAAA pitchers who could be "rescued" by some self-important pitching coach.

He doesn't make the Reds a contender but he helps make them relevant, which is the last step in a rebuild toward contending.

If you look at their 2016-7 pitching numbers, if gives you a headache. If Gray's numbers outside Y.S. are even remotely repeatable, he adds a win to the record. He's replacing Homer Bailey, who had maybe the worst record, historically, last year in franchise history.

Thec contract likely will mean he’s a tradebale asset at some point.

But they should’ve sold high on at 2b and moved senzel there or moved Suarez to ss and play senzel at 3b. He’s unlikely to be a plus cf.