• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Sometimes I wonder...is Fognini ok in the head?

simtast204

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fabio Fognini sorry for ethnic slur

Updated: July 17, 2014, 8:47 AM ET
Associated Press

ROME -- Italy's Fabio Fognini has apologized for using an ethnic slur toward Serbian opponent Filip Krajinovic during a second-round loss at the Hamburg Open.
A video of Fognini showed him muttering the Italian word 'zingaro', meaning gypsy, while he had his back to Krajinovic during Wednesday's match.
After it was picked up on social media, Fognini tweeted in Italian: "I made a mistake. I didn't want to offend anyone. ... I know Filip very well and anyone who plays sports knows that at times you get carried away saying things that make no sense."
Krajinovic, a 149th-ranked qualifier, won 6-4, 6-0 against the defending champion and second seed.
The temperamental Fognini also broke his racket in half by stepping on it as he headed to a changeover midway through the second set.

wonder how many times he has mentioned the "n" word when playing Jo Willie or Monfils!!!!

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fognini is a hothead, and Europeans have a different mindset when it comes to race than we're used to. (for instance, the "n" word isn't even in the Italian lexicon, really.)

He'll take the swat on the hand, and continue to do his thing. From what I've gathered, he's very different when not in competition mode.

Not making excuses for him at all, but this will blow over very quickly.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This guy was playing extremely well a year or so ago. He is probably frustrated that his game is slipping.

Also, is Gypsy really a racial slur? Many eastern Europeans consider themselves Gypsy and do not consider it to be an insult.

These race baiting posts are becoming quite tiresome and counter-productive. I am considering alerting the mods on these going forward.

NADAL2005RG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never wonder if Fognini is ok in the head.
I know for a fact he is not ok in the head.
And that is why he's one of my 10 favorite players :clap: