• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Some Interesting Thoughts

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With all of the Tom Brady news and talk going on, a conversation got started on the radio and has made it's way to the television.

It's an interesting concept and I think it's worth discussing.

Fact: Tom Brady said that he purposefully froze out certain wide receivers. We've come to learn that those receivers were Jacobi Meyers and N'Keal Harry as well as Philip Dorrsett.

Tom is gone and right now it appears tha Jarett Stidham will be the new QB.

Brady was a demanding quarterback and had little tolerance for rookie wide receivers because Tom made the offense extremely complex and complicated for rookies. That was because he had twenty years of NFL experience and forcing newbies to become oldies quickly was necessary for the GOAT to stay the GOAT.

Will Josh McDaniel simplify the offense at all? Will he say to JS, "Throw the damn ball to Harry's zip code and let him go get it. allow him to use his 6'4" 220 lbs frame to go up and get the ball against a 5'11" 195 lb Cornerback." Will he say to Jacobi, don't be afraid to stick that hand up when you're all by yourself. JS will throw the ball to you."

Will a bit more simple offense and more mobile quarterback result in more success that has been anticipated? Could a simplified offense result in more wins and possibly push Stidham to the top of the pile and result in Stidham pulling the patriots into the post season.

One thing is for sure. Stidham has got to start working with his receivers soon. If Brady can lgally pull 30 Buccaneers together and work out at a local high school, why can't every other NFL QB call his tam mates together at a local high school and work out for two hours?

Shoeshine Boy

Humble & Lovable
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McD adjusted the offense for Cassel and Brissett. If he doesn’t for Stidham it will only be because he trusts Stidham to run it the same way Brady did like he did with Jimmy.

Brady was certainly demanding. As all great QB’s are. But the “he admits he froze guys out” thing has been taken laughably far out of context of what he actually said.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McD adjusted the offense for Cassel and Brissett. If he doesn’t for Stidham it will only be because he trusts Stidham to run it the same way Brady did like he did with Jimmy.

Brady was certainly demanding. As all great QB’s are. But the “he admits he froze guys out” thing has been taken laughably far out of context of what he actually said.

maybe.....

sharkymcwrath

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't know. He did say he froze guys out. And the offense sucked balls last season. That was never Brady's style before and I doubt Meyers and Harris are jerks or numbskulls. It was time for him to go and now he's gone.

I can't decide if it's Stidham or Damian Harris as this years Super Bowl MVP.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With all of the Tom Brady news and talk going on, a conversation got started on the radio and has made it's way to the television.

It's an interesting concept and I think it's worth discussing.

Fact: Tom Brady said that he purposefully froze out certain wide receivers. We've come to learn that those receivers were Jacobi Meyers and N'Keal Harry as well as Philip Dorrsett.

Tom is gone and right now it appears tha Jarett Stidham will be the new QB.

Brady was a demanding quarterback and had little tolerance for rookie wide receivers because Tom made the offense extremely complex and complicated for rookies. That was because he had twenty years of NFL experience and forcing newbies to become oldies quickly was necessary for the GOAT to stay the GOAT.

Will Josh McDaniel simplify the offense at all? Will he say to JS, "Throw the damn ball to Harry's zip code and let him go get it. allow him to use his 6'4" 220 lbs frame to go up and get the ball against a 5'11" 195 lb Cornerback." Will he say to Jacobi, don't be afraid to stick that hand up when you're all by yourself. JS will throw the ball to you."

Will a bit more simple offense and more mobile quarterback result in more success that has been anticipated? Could a simplified offense result in more wins and possibly push Stidham to the top of the pile and result in Stidham pulling the patriots into the post season.

One thing is for sure. Stidham has got to start working with his receivers soon. If Brady can lgally pull 30 Buccaneers together and work out at a local high school, why can't every other NFL QB call his tam mates together at a local high school and work out for two hours?
Seems like this discussion evolved from the firing of Chad O'Shea in Miami.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After being around for 20 years, any QB would have a great deal of latitude when running an offense. He'd have seen a lot and there would be very little that he hadn't experienced. With that experience and background come an ego that can sometimes get in the way of common sense. I don't care who that QB is, there comes a point where he thinks he can do things when he knows that the odds are formidably stacked against him.

A younger QB won't take quite as many chances because he knows that his lack of experience will work against him. That's why young QBs get sacked more often than they throw the ball away. Thy think that they have one more second and the they don't. Some can never make the adjustments and others ebgin to mentally recognize that pressure before it happens and make the moves to avoid it. Those guys are the Bradys, Brees, Tarkentons, Marinos and Montanas of the NFL.

According to some people, Stidham has better pocket sense than most QBs in college, but he didn't have the surrounding crew to take advantage of it. McDaniels has to put Stidham in real situations in real games, not preseason where the opponents might not even be playing in the regular season. Once he's out against the Seahawks, Chiefs and Texans then he'll have gone up against the best and his evaluation will be much more accurate than a few games against the Jets, Dolphins and Bengals.

Then McDaniels will have to decide whether or not he has to simplify the offense or make it a bit more complex. That and the wide receivers will have to play up a bit more and test themselves and test Stidham. The offense will be a bit younger overall and I expect some mistakes early in the season. If this team plays wells and it at .500 or better after the first six games, we could be looking at an AFCG contender in two years and possibly the beginning of a new dynasty. I'd never expect another twenty year run like we've experienced over the past twenty, but maybe for seven more while BB goes for Shula's win record and at least one more ring sans Brady.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know. He did say he froze guys out. And the offense sucked balls last season. That was never Brady's style before and I doubt Meyers and Harris are jerks or numbskulls. It was time for him to go and now he's gone.

I can't decide if it's Stidham or Damian Harris as this years Super Bowl MVP.

We have witnessed the Greatest QB turn into a snivelling drama queen when he got his feelings hurt.

I don't know who will teach our young QB how to throw a ball at the feet of a 6'2" receiver but I'm glad we won't have to pay whoever that is $25 million to do that.

I'm excited for the future and looking forward to seeing the team adapt.

I will laugh so loud you'll here me from here if the season gets cancelled and the Bucs pay Brady for a year of interviews.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have witnessed the Greatest QB turn into a snivelling drama queen when he got his feelings hurt.

I don't know who will teach our young QB how to throw a ball at the feet of a 6'2" receiver but I'm glad we won't have to pay whoever that is $25 million to do that.

I'm excited for the future and looking forward to seeing the team adapt.

I will laugh so loud you'll here me from here if the season gets cancelled and the Bucs pay Brady for a year of interviews.
I know that's the popular narrative, but it may not be entirely accurate. Clearly Brady was using judgement but that doesn't mean ego was the motive. It could be he was just doing what he thought was best. I don't mean play by play because it did seem like he was "freezing out players". He may have been trying to exert influence to create change in a way he just thought was best. While we can all agree he's not the coach, but we'd all be fools to think players don't do their best to get they're way all the time and often their way is the best.

Belichick may be the best all-time, but that doesn't mean every moment, every direction set, every play decision was better than anything TB or even I (yes me) could do in a given moment, though I'd give TB the edge for doing it way, way more often.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know that's the popular narrative, but it may not be entirely accurate. Clearly Brady was using judgement but that doesn't mean ego was the motive. It could be he was just doing what he thought was best. I don't mean play by play because it did seem like he was "freezing out players". He may have been trying to exert influence to create change in a way he just thought was best. While we can all agree he's not the coach, but we'd all be fools to think players don't do their best to get they're way all the time and often their way is the best.

Belichick may be the best all-time, but that doesn't mean every moment, every direction set, every play decision was better than anything TB or even I (yes me) could do in a given moment, though I'd give TB the edge for doing it way, way more often.

Well said.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read a pretty good article yesterday and I'm still trying to locate so I can put a link to it.

basically it talked about t 2020 as being Bill Belichick's worst dead cap year and possibly his worst overall cap year. Then it went on to say that there will have to be some moves that many people will not understand and may not like. Most of them will have two reasons and those are cap savings and better player to back fill. Here are some of the author's thought's (Karen Guerigian Boston Herald):

Marcus Cannon. Cap savings will be $9.6M. He was a Scar favorite and Scar was able to get him to dig deeper into himself and play above his ability. His problem was that he could never maintain that upper level. Cadjuste Yodney will most like fill the RT slot and rookie Justin Herron will most likely be the backup.

Deatrick Wise and Derek Rivers. Cap savings is only $3M but Wise was called for six fifteen yard penalties in 2019 and several were at critical times and with the opponent in Patriot territory. Rivers has been a back up and had never been able to reach the level that the staff had hoped. Rookies Nick Coe and Wallace Courtney are already penciled in.

Allen Beau, Adam Butler and Bill Murray will be the DTs and Cowart looks to be the odd man out.

Tashawn Bower, Terez Hall and Brandon King will only save $2.3M but there are rookies Josh Uche, Anferee Jennings, De'Jon Harris and Maluia Cassh appear that they are ready to crash the party and stay for awhile.

Don't be surprised to see some shocking trades if some contracts can't be extended.

Donta Hightower $11M

Stephon Gilmore $14.1M

Joe Thuney $14.8M

Just thinking out loud.........Would you trade Joe Thuney to the Dolphins for Ryan Fitzpatrick? You'd get nearly $7M of cap space and Hajalte Froholdt is waiting in the wings. You might be able to get Both Fitzpatrick and Jesse Davis or Michael Deiter who are both solid OL.

Gilmore has two years left and while his cap hit is high, he's also considered the best man cover CB in the NFL. You could never justify trading him for a ham sandwich. Pastrami on Rye and a 2nd round pick in 2021 might do it, but that also weakens a defense that you're trying to repair.

Danta is an enigme. He's the defensive leader and hasn't played badly. He might be more than willing to extend and finish his career in Foxboro.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read a pretty good article yesterday and I'm still trying to locate so I can put a link to it.

basically it talked about t 2020 as being Bill Belichick's worst dead cap year and possibly his worst overall cap year. Then it went on to say that there will have to be some moves that many people will not understand and may not like. Most of them will have two reasons and those are cap savings and better player to back fill. Here are some of the author's thought's (Karen Guerigian Boston Herald):

Marcus Cannon. Cap savings will be $9.6M. He was a Scar favorite and Scar was able to get him to dig deeper into himself and play above his ability. His problem was that he could never maintain that upper level. Cadjuste Yodney will most like fill the RT slot and rookie Justin Herron will most likely be the backup.

Deatrick Wise and Derek Rivers. Cap savings is only $3M but Wise was called for six fifteen yard penalties in 2019 and several were at critical times and with the opponent in Patriot territory. Rivers has been a back up and had never been able to reach the level that the staff had hoped. Rookies Nick Coe and Wallace Courtney are already penciled in.

Allen Beau, Adam Butler and Bill Murray will be the DTs and Cowart looks to be the odd man out.

Tashawn Bower, Terez Hall and Brandon King will only save $2.3M but there are rookies Josh Uche, Anferee Jennings, De'Jon Harris and Maluia Cassh appear that they are ready to crash the party and stay for awhile.

Don't be surprised to see some shocking trades if some contracts can't be extended.

Donta Hightower $11M

Stephon Gilmore $14.1M

Joe Thuney $14.8M

No to Fitz. Strange things will come but not that strange. Just no.

Just thinking out loud.........Would you trade Joe Thuney to the Dolphins for Ryan Fitzpatrick? You'd get nearly $7M of cap space and Hajalte Froholdt is waiting in the wings. You might be able to get Both Fitzpatrick and Jesse Davis or Michael Deiter who are both solid OL.

Gilmore has two years left and while his cap hit is high, he's also considered the best man cover CB in the NFL. You could never justify trading him for a ham sandwich. Pastrami on Rye and a 2nd round pick in 2021 might do it, but that also weakens a defense that you're trying to repair.

Danta is an enigme. He's the defensive leader and hasn't played badly. He might be more than willing to extend and finish his career in Foxboro.

Shoeshine Boy

Humble & Lovable
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 90 man roster is set. There’s no big onus to open space at this point. Let them come to camp and see how things shake out. But I agree with the overall salient point that cap management is likely to be more of an influence on final roster decisions than in years past.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Terez Hall is well below the Top 51 cutoff. Cutting him wouldn’t affect the cap.

I think she was alluding to the fact that more rookies than normal will be on the 2020 roster. She seemed to be carefully picking her shots.