• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Solving the new NBA's problems

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem is that there is really nothing the league can really do if players are willing to take discounts to go somewhere.

Kawhi Leonard is willing to give up 90 MILLION dollars to leave San Antonio.
i think they can. my "low end market value" thing. it could work. if anything, it may help players.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think they can. my "low end market value" thing. it could work. if anything, it may help players.

It's too arbitrary. And you really don't want to create incentives for players to tank.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doubtful. People love watching great teams play.

Historically speaking, the NBA has struggled the most when they DIDN'T have great teams and great players dominating.
this is interesting. look at how BAD the 2007 finals were (SA and cleveland) in terms of ratings. it fluctuates YOY.

NBA Finals Ratings History (1988-Present) - Sports Media Watch

Per Nielsen data, the combined average TV viewership for NBA national broadcasts on TNT, ESPN, ABC and NBA TV is 1.4 million viewers, which is up 17 percent from the 2016-2017 regular season and the most-watched start to a season since 2012-2013. That’s also the biggest ratings growth in North American pro sports, and outpaces the majority of linear television, which has largely seen ratings decline. The growth is particularly strong among the younger demographics that TV advertisers crave, including adults 18-34 and 18-49, unlike Major League Baseball, which remains most popular among Baby Boomers.

“This is a very tough, coveted demographic we’re talking about here, and a tough one to reach in a linear way,” said Turner Sports ad sales evp Jon Diament. “NBA fans do not watch traditional TV. They’re often male, young and millennial. … They typically don’t have the traditional viewing patterns that you’ll find in the TV landscape. Then, there’s the viewership offline, on social and on digital, whether it’s the live games or anything around the league. That’s exploding as well.”

theyre getting younger viewers while alienating older ones. good for their sport...i guess.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's too arbitrary. And you really don't want to create incentives for players to tank.
it certainly wouldnt be a financial incentive.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem is that they've tried all of that.

The only real way to change it would be put rules in place that the player's association would NEVER accept.

Honestly though, teams like the Warriors are going to happen every now and then.

The more the NBA tries to make rules to prevent this type of thing from occurring, the more they guarantee success of the teams like GS who slip through the cracks.

The Warriors have 1 year with Cousins. They were almost surely going to win anyway.

Now, sit back, enjoy watching the greatest collection of talent ever assembled and let's see how teams position themselves for free agency in 2019 and just how much tax the Warriors will be willing to pay.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this is interesting. look at how BAD the 2007 finals were (SA and cleveland) in terms of ratings. it fluctuates YOY.

NBA Finals Ratings History (1988-Present) - Sports Media Watch

Per Nielsen data, the combined average TV viewership for NBA national broadcasts on TNT, ESPN, ABC and NBA TV is 1.4 million viewers, which is up 17 percent from the 2016-2017 regular season and the most-watched start to a season since 2012-2013. That’s also the biggest ratings growth in North American pro sports, and outpaces the majority of linear television, which has largely seen ratings decline. The growth is particularly strong among the younger demographics that TV advertisers crave, including adults 18-34 and 18-49, unlike Major League Baseball, which remains most popular among Baby Boomers.

“This is a very tough, coveted demographic we’re talking about here, and a tough one to reach in a linear way,” said Turner Sports ad sales evp Jon Diament. “NBA fans do not watch traditional TV. They’re often male, young and millennial. … They typically don’t have the traditional viewing patterns that you’ll find in the TV landscape. Then, there’s the viewership offline, on social and on digital, whether it’s the live games or anything around the league. That’s exploding as well.”

theyre getting younger viewers while alienating older ones. good for their sport...i guess.

The Spurs were a really tough sell for the NBA. A great team without a great marketable star.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly though, teams like the Warriors are going to happen every now and then.

The more the NBA tries to make rules to prevent this type of thing from occurring, the more they guarantee success of the teams like GS who slip through the cracks.

The Warriors have 1 year with Cousins. They were almost surely going to win anyway.

Now, sit back, enjoy watching the greatest collection of talent ever assembled and let's see how teams position themselves for free agency in 2019 and just how much tax the Warriors will be willing to pay.

Although it was before my time, I always think about the Lakers of the late 60s who were supposed to be unbeatable after getting Wilt. Yet they lost 3 straight finals before finally winning one.

The Warriors are the presumptive favorite certainly but an injury to KD changes things dramatically.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They should contract, like half the league. Maybe not half, but get rid of about 10 teams or so.

This is an overreaction.

The talent pool for the NBA Is greater than it has ever been by a wide margin. The NBA is by leaps and bounds re most difficult professional sports league in the world to make. As basketball continues to grow globally, competition for those few coveted spots will only increase.

The problem isn't that there are too many teams or not enough talent. The problem is that the high end talent is clustered in a small number of teams so parity sucks. And to be honest, aside from a few years here and there, that has pretty much always been the case in the NBA.

The current Warrior example is just the most extreme case.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is an overreaction.

The talent pool for the NBA Is greater than it has ever been by a wide margin. The NBA is by leaps and bounds re most difficult professional sports league in the world to make. As basketball continues to grow globally, competition for those few coveted spots will only increase.

The problem isn't that there are too many teams or not enough talent. The problem is that the high end talent is clustered in a small number of teams so parity sucks. And to be honest, aside from a few years here and there, that has pretty much always been the case in the NBA.

I actually think the league needs to expand. Time for Seattle and KC to get teams. Or go crazy and put one in Mexico City

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've come around on GS picking up Boogie.

Now I see the truth: this is just a desparate attempt by the Warriors to keep pace with the blossoming-as-we-speak juggernaut that is the Boston Celtics.

Sad, really.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is an overreaction.

thats fair

but i dont think im overreacting. this is a cumulative effect.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah all them fed up fans watching, going to games, buying merch, talking about the teams all day online. They love fed up fans like that.
Whatever dude.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
thats fair

but i dont think im overreacting. this is a cumulative effect.

There will always be a small number of teams that are well ahead of the rest because of the superstar effect.

But, what is unique about the Warrior era is that the gap between them and everyone else is as great as it has ever been. While notnas blatantly obvious, this has happened before and it will happen again. But, teams like this are the exception, not the rule.

I really don't think there is anything to fix.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They should contract, like half the league. Maybe not half, but get rid of about 10 teams or so.
Maybe just keep 10 teams.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There will always be a small number of teams that are well ahead of the rest because of the superstar effect.

But, what is unique about the Warrior era is that the gap between them and everyone else is as great as it has ever been. While notnas blatantly obvious, this has happened before and it will happen again. But, teams like this are the exception, not the rule.

I really don't think there is anything to fix.
no one will challenge them in the west. not the lakers, not anyone.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no one will challenge them in the west. not the lakers, not anyone.

I agree.

But, then next off season they will defintely lose Cousins and there is a chance they lose KD, Klay or both. The following summer Dray is up. I think KD and Klay will both return, but at some point the dynasty will break up or decline.

Also, it is always possible another team like LA or Philly or Boston can make a move or two that allows them to catch up. Surely not this year, but maybe next.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree.

But, then next off season they will defintely lose Cousins and there is a chance they lose KD, Klay or both. The following summer Dray is up. I think KD and Klay will both return, but at some point the dynasty will break up or decline.

Also, it is always possible another team like LA or Philly or Boston can make a move or two that allows them to catch up. Surely not this year, but maybe next.
i dunno about "definitely lose cousins".

OKC was losing durant at one point.

i wait and see. its all gossip til then, in the gossip league.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i dunno about "definitely lose cousins".

OKC was losing durant at one point.

i wait and see. its all gossip til then, in the gossip league.

I mean,

They won't be able to pay him 5 million again unless he is totally ineffective. They don't have his Bird rights so they won't be able to pay him more than the MLE.

If he proves anything close to the player he has been in the past the Warriors won't be an option next year because other teams will be offering 5-7 times what the Warriors can.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,551.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed, but the games themselves kind of sucked. Chris Paul getting hurt ruined it.

Houston was winningthat series.....sucks for Rockets fans.

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Houston was winningthat series.....sucks for Rockets fans.

I still think Golden State would have pulled it out but we'll never know. Last year G.S. seemed to only play when they had to