• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

So what will Danny do for moves in the offseason ?

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kemba for CP4? Veteran (extremely lol) defensive PG takes over for the better scorer but defensive issue?

They need a two-way star...Kemba and Smart for KAT lol

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's kinda funny is that Boston has 4 (IIRC) or so non-premium picks in the upcoming draft.

A legacy of Trader Danny's wheeling and dealing... anywho, the C's already have a glut of young guys that need developing, so I'm not sure what we'll do with a bunch of "meh" draft picks... probably trade some for future considerations, I guess. :noidea:

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's kinda funny is that Boston has 4 (IIRC) or so non-premium picks in the upcoming draft.

A legacy of Trader Danny's wheeling and dealing... anywho, the C's already have a glut of young guys that need developing, so I'm not sure what we'll do with a bunch of "meh" draft picks... probably trade some for future considerations, I guess. :noidea:

I would like to trade up from 26 and 30 for Poku. He’s a draft and stash.

at 47 I want trevelin queen on a 2 way deal.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tristan Thompson

I'm halfway serious

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing for the Celtics that will ultimately decide their fate is Tatum and Brown. If they've hit their ceiling or if their ceiling isn't high as the Celtics expect...that means the C's have a ceiling. Both have been improving every year and the more playoff experience the better. It could take 2 to 3 more years which isn't surprising considering Tatum and Brown are 22 and 23 years old.

If Tatum accepts his qualifying offer of $20M in 21-22 that could be year they could add a piece. They would have about $82M tied up between Kemba, Brown and Tatum. Smart might be a piece they could trade in order to get cap space for a big dog in Boston...it all depends on the future cap though. Right now I'm just not sure what you can get for Hayward, that's why I mention 21-22. You never know with Ainge though, he might have something up his sleeve. 21-22 could be the key imo.

Another thing...is Kemba worth $35M a year? Just want to know from a C's fan point of view.

Smart’s name always comes up in trade talks. They can’t trade him. He is like their Draymond. He is their identity, their glue. Trading him + for a star would not make the Celtics better, IMO.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotta make space for another star in 21-22, if that means trading Smart...they should do it imo. Tatum, Brown and Kemba along with a star would be pretty dangerous.

Then you keep Gordon for another year or trade him for an expiring and figure out how to flip that cap wise. Fortunately for them they still have those picks

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smart’s name always comes up in trade talks. They can’t trade him. He is like their Draymond. He is their identity, their glue. Trading him + for a star would not make the Celtics better, IMO.

Gotta keep smart. Don't have to start him.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You deal Hayward now or later. And you b burn picks. He adds nothing to this team. Hopefully this result clears that up.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Posted in the other thread too:

I look at the Celtics offseason and see a few key needs:

1) shooting - this team needs to add some 3 point shooting somewhere, I would prefer the stretch 4, but really even bench shooting is needed.
2) help at center - I would assume Kanter is gone, Poirier is completely useless, and they need some more help to defend modern 5s.
3) backup PG - having a Derek Fisher type (3 and D) point guard to spell Kemba would be ideal.
4) bench depth - this team needs some guys who brad can trust to give minutes to so the core team isn't gassed in the 4th qtr. They played by far the most minutes of the playoffs.

Assets:
Pick 14
Pick 26
Pick 30
Pick 47

Mid-level exception
Bi-Annual exception

they have cash to buy some picks (more on this later)

FA: the celtics will not have cap space to sign any major FAs.

They barely have any roster space right now. I think 3 spots if they don't guarantee Semi and Javonte Green's deals. Plus Wannamaker is a RFA at 31, which is the typical age where PGs start to drop off. But they need to figure out what they'll do there. My guess is they won't be spending all 3 picks in round 1 this year.

Let's get started:

Mid-Level Exception:
Last year they used this on Kanter and I think they could go big again. I'm thinking guys like Milsap, or Ibaka or maybe Marc Gasol. However, the rockets, Lakers, Raptors, and Warriors will all be looking at similar guys as well. There will be lots of competition here. But this would be the best use IMO.

Bi-Annual:
I've said in the playoff thread they needed a james posey type. at first I thought Justin Holiday but he isn't good enough on D to deserve that. but he would provide shooting and size to guard the 2 and 3. But a wing who shoot better than green or semi would be ideal. But that's the challenge there. I just question if either of those guys would shoot enough to get more playing time. This could also be a spot to find a new back up PG, maybe a Trey Burke.

The Draft

This is a time for some wild, wild stuff. I doubt Danny uses all 3 picks in round 1. I don't' know if he trades up from 14 to land the USC center, or if he does a move similar to last year where he turns a late first and salary (in this case Poirier, last year it was Baynes) for a first next year. I'm ok with that. I als wouldn't mind trading 26 and 30 together to land a big time foreign stash like Poku, who has more upside than most of the draft, but is a HUGE risk. I don't think he's a very danny pick though. But the upside of him is worth the gamble. He almost certainly has to get past Denver and probably Dallas IMO. Or maybe the deal is with Dallas, who will need to move the pick in some form to get max cap space for next summer. However, I wouldn't' be upset if Danny took Poku at 14.

I'm not sure how high they'd have to move up for the USC center, he could reasonably go anywhere from about 2-9 and none of them would shock me.

For 26 and 30, guys who are Danny type picks are guys who tend to be stronger than average for their position. Getting 2 of the Grant Williams upperclassmen who can contribute now types (including at PG) and stashing Poku at 14 is a very real possibility IMO. Taking a legit backup PG who projects as a positive form day 1 could be huge, of the guys on the board at the time (Terry, Lewis, Jones, Pritchard, Winston) my guess is Flynn or Pritchard. If Danny doesn't do that but could buy either Pritchard or Flynn in round 2 would be excellent as well. I also could see Danny taking Tillman as he's the kind of guy who could defend Bam, even if he's a little shorter than one would like (he's got a condor like wingspan). But this team needs shooting and depth that Brad is swilling to play as well.

Some guys I really like in round 2:

Paul Reed- if the shooting coach can do anything with him, he's a hell of a steal. His shooting is really the one thing holding him back right now. To me he's a good two way guy who can get time to develop his shot and not take up a 15 man roster spot.

Trevelin Queen - a guy who is a bit older, but his rebounding, block and steals numbers are off the charts for a prospect...and he can shoot the 3. Honestly wouldn't hate him at 30 if it had to be done. But I'd rather 47 or a bought pick. Most mocks i see have him falling to 47 though.

Isaiah Joe- I did say Boston needs more shooting right?

Something else to consider: Boston will be capped out for the next few years, so trading future firsts is not ideal because drafting talent is going to be the only way to find affordable valuable players. So I would avoid doing that.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tristan Thompson

I'm halfway serious

defensively he fits really well, he can hedge screens and probably guard guys like Bam and maybe even Giannis better than most of the C's roster.

Offensively it's a little problematic.

If he's willing to take the MLE? I mean, it's not the worst move.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They need a two-way star...Kemba and Smart for KAT lol

KAT is the one to get.

But I think they needed him to do this last offseason.

But at least 2 of this year's picks (obviously 14 is one of them). 2 more picks in the next 3 years, Langford and Edwards, and then they they need to fill salary or find a 3rd team (Hayward has value in 2 ways, as a player for 1 year, and then he expires, so a team who may want to win now and clear cap space for next summer (like a miami or a dallas) could be interested.

But I'm not sure Boston will have the best offer.

OKC will if they want to.

GS can too if Minny takes back wiggins lol

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You deal Hayward now or later. And you b burn picks. He adds nothing to this team. Hopefully this result clears that up.

What? With a healthy GH they're almost certainly in the finals right now.

If anything it's about tinkering to find guys who you are sure will machup better with the top teams (MIL, MIA, LAC, LAL, and GS)

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What? With a healthy GH they're almost certainly in the finals right now.

If anything it's about tinkering to find guys who you are sure will machup better with the top teams (MIL, MIA, LAC, LAL, and GS)

So you guys are keeping Hayward, Walker, Tatum, and Brown and magically adding another star?

Lol. Pass that shit man I want some.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you guys are keeping Hayward, Walker, Tatum, and Brown and magically adding another star?

Lol. Pass that shit man I want some.

I didn't say that.

In fact I just posted saying that GH probably goes in a deal if they trade for KAT.

But you said GH had no value to the celtics.

the team isn't perfect, but he's a pretty perfect fit for Brad's offense, plus he's the shooting they desperately needed against that zone, especially in games 1 and 2.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't say that.

In fact I just posted saying that GH probably goes in a deal if they trade for KAT.

But you said GH had no value to the celtics.

the team isn't perfect, but he's a pretty perfect fit for Brad's offense, plus he's the shooting they desperately needed against that zone, especially in games 1 and 2.

You can get his shooting for a much better value

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only way I see the Wolves wanting to trade KAT is a total retool of the team. Gordon's value in that case is his expiring deal. But how many free agents are coming to Minnesota that are better than Hayward?

That's a net negative trade for minny by a pretty large margin.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can get his shooting for a much better value

That I can agree with.

But you when say he adds nothing he's probably the best shooter and facilitator in their core group, that's entirely different.

Brown and Tatum are not good facilitators yet. Too many bad shots, not enough good passing. Good passing beats good dribbling most of the time, unless you're a freak like Lebron.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So this one has boston trading four first rounders and Hayward for Towns

With that and the top pick you basically retool and aren't on the hook for a huge contract in a rough economic situation. They do however get Horfords shitty deal.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only way I see the Wolves wanting to trade KAT is a total retool of the team. Gordon's value in that case is his expiring deal. But how many free agents are coming to Minnesota that are better than Hayward?

That's a net negative trade for minny by a pretty large margin.

GH is just there for salary match. It's just how deals are done in the nba with the cap.
So this one has boston trading four first rounders and Hayward for Towns

With that and the top pick you basically retool and aren't on the hook for a huge contract in a rough economic situation. They do however get Horfords shitty deal.

That’s not far off from what I said. I just had their lottery pick and early second rounder last year instead of another first this year (I figured a team wouldn’t want 3 picks in the same draft, especially this one)