• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

So Many Injuries. Does Something Need To Change

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It seems to me that there are so many more injuries in football now than there was 20-30 years ago. Maybe I'm misremembering but it seemed like teams from the 80s and 90s basically made it through the season intact. Now it seems already this year, every team has at least one player, and several teams have multiple players who are out for the year. Does something need to be done rules-wise to stop this?
Touch football or play ends if defenders get within 3 yards

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also think it's clear that the league is trying everything. To the detriment of the game. I mean who hasn't been pissed off when their team is penalized for a hit on a "defenseless receiver" (what is the defender supposed to do, allow the catch?) or when a DL is on the ground, tackles the QB by the legs, and gets a 15 yard penalty?
Yeah, some of the new rules are utterly asinine. Contacting a QBs helmet being one of them. That tacking a QB below the knees seems to border on 50% bullshit. The way Joey Bosa hit Heiney in the season opener was fine imo and to call it when a defender is blocked or knocked into the QB is BS as well.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it has more to do with how much better we are today at identifying injuries

Example back in the 80s you get a concussion and you are playing through that shit. Today not so much.
That is not the core problem.

Like never before, we have a system in place that finds the most insane physical freaks in the country.
Then we take these freaks and put them through intense weight training & physical conditioning.
And then lastly ...mental training. These guys come out of the tunnel like rapid dogs. It rivals what the military does to recruits in boot camp.

All of the systems have been refined to the highest level ... It reminds me of the Matrix.

Morpheus: "Standing there watching the pure horrifying precision"

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We saw this coming... Starters didn't even play in preseason for the most part...

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How so? Any contact sport carries a perception that injuries will occur that’s just a fact. Contact sports are injury laden because of their DNA. I say less pads less injury but even then non contact injuries occur. I don’t know the numbers but I d be willing to say that non contact injuries like pulled hammed are more of a statistic than a broken leg or neck from contact. Regardless, they’re all injuries and defending against them is near impossible when 2 people are engaged in contact.
Non contact lessens injuries. That’s why in boxing you don’t let your sparring partner “contact” you with haymakers. I think the non-contact thing is totally wrong

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jack Lambert and Duck Butkus would agree
Deacon Jones would be another. He took too much joy in talking about the head slap that used to be legal. Bill Romonaski. would be another. I remember the first time I saw him play. He was sacking what's his name. He used to QB the Panthers and he led the Giants to the SB whenn they got their ass kicked against the Ravens, anyway he was still with the Panthers and Romo was coming on a blitz, Romo wrapped him up and drove his shoulder right into the turf. Bear hugging him n bending his body in such a way that his shoulder took 100% of the impact. It was as dirty as when Tony Siragusa purposely injured Rich Gannon in the playoffs and Joe Turkey Jones suplexed Terry Bradshaw right on his head.

Kerry Collins, he was the QB Romo jacked up on purpose.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You really think most players want to hurt, injure or kill another player? I mean sure defenders n OL celebrate big hits, but for the most part once they realize the player who was hit might be hurt or worse. The tone changes considerably.

I will say thoug, it wouldn't surprise me if there have been players throughout the years that wouldn't shed too many tears about crippling or maybe even killing another player. They'd just chalk up to risk of playing the game.
I do. Look at the celebration for a violent hit. Defenders live for the crushing hit that knocks someone out of the game

Janus

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Deacon Jones would be another. He took too much joy in talking about the head slap that used to be legal. Bill Romonaski. would be another. I remember the first time I saw him play. He was sacking what's his name. He used to QB the Panthers and he led the Giants to the SB whenn they got their ass kicked against the Ravens, anyway he was still with the Panthers and Romo was coming on a blitz, Romo wrapped him up and drove his shoulder right into the turf. Bear hugging him n bending his body in such a way that his shoulder took 100% of the impact. It was as dirty as when Tony Siragusa purposely injured Rich Gannon in the playoffs and Joe Turkey Jones suplexed Terry Bradshaw right on his head.

Kerry Collins, he was the QB Romo jacked up on purpose.
You’re right . The nfl is full of examples and it does seem early years were much more intentional.

Art Donovan, Mike Curtis( the only NFL player to tackle a fan on the field ) Mike Singletary, Warren Sapp, the list is endless but you do make a good point,

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do. Look at the celebration for a violent hit. Defenders live for the crushing hit that knocks someone out of the game
Agreed to an extent. Come up with a slobber knocker hit sure, but I don't think most defenders want to end a player's career or his life. And if I had to hazard a guess as to the player who's most likely to not care about fuckin another player up. I think I'd go with the Colts Quenten Nelson.

And its not just defenders either. Jeff Saturday has a segment on ESPN called You got pancaked or something like that. That shows defenders getting road-graded and blasted by OL. And how many jaws did WR Hines Ward break on those crackback blocks. At least a couple.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed to an extent. Come up with a slobber knocker hit sure, but I don't think most defenders want to end a player's career or his life. And if I had to hazard a guess as to the player who's most likely to not care about fuckin another player up. I think I'd go with the Colts Quenten Nelson.

And its not just defenders either. Jeff Saturday has a segment on ESPN called You got pancaked or something like that. That shows defendders getting road-graded and blasted by OL. And how many jaws to WR Hines Ward break on those crackback blocks. At least a couple.
Yep. It’s a violent game and I’m sure you are correct that most players don’t come into a game saying “I want to end someone’s career”. But the style of play contradicts that

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Non contact lessens injuries. That’s why in boxing you don’t let your sparring partner “contact” you with haymakers. I think the non-contact thing is totally wrong
Yet sparring partners do hit, they don't just shadow box. Same thing in the NFL contact practice, they don't have defenders trying kill blows on their teammates just making tackles but softening the blows. IDK if the decreased contact at camp and practice has a correlation but time wise they seem to match up along with cutting back OTAs, mini camps and generally less conditioning, fewer reps taking place during the off season that started with the 2016 CBA. Basically the summer became a extended vacation for vets and naturally they would arrive in camp less in shape then previously because they weren't required to work out all year long as before this CBA.
I would agree that fewer natural grass fields also share some of the blame for injuries.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it has more to do with how much better we are today at identifying injuries

Example back in the 80s you get a concussion and you are playing through that shit. Today not so much.
No MRI's so players played through knee injuries as sprains.
Unless you ripped your hamstrings in half, you shook it off.

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You’re right . The nfl is full of examples and it does seem early years were much more intentional.

Art Donovan, Mike Curtis( the only NFL player to tackle a fan on the field ) Mike Singletary, Warren Sapp, the list is endless but you do make a good point,
Remember when Sapp fucked up an Chad Clifton? Chad Clifton Thriving Years After Warren Sapp Nearly Ended His Career

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Remember when Sapp fucked up an Chad Clifton? Chad Clifton Thriving Years After Warren Sapp Nearly Ended His Career

That never sat well with me.. not the shot, the idea Sapp did something wrong and I'm still not used to the notion that if you hit someone from the front who isn't looking, that's somehow a cheap shot.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I cant believe Haynesworth only got 5 game suspension. That should have been a minimum of a year. & I don't mean start of next year. I mean whatever week it was a full year. I rarely talk injuries to players in sports but someone should have tonya harding his knees.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seriously though, are the players too big and too fast? Are they to muscular. So many non contact tendon tears, Maybe the tendons can't keep up with the muscle. Too many seasons ruined by injuries. Once it starts costing the NFL money, they might act.

The non-contact ACL and Achilles injuries are really becoming common place

As @Montalban posted, players are getting bigger/stronger/faster but their bones, tendons and skulls, etc. are not.

Seems like there have been more NON contact injuries (and major ones at that) this year
I am in the camp that ironically Sports science helps with all the non contact injuries. Strength & conditioning has surpassed what ligaments, tendons & bones can typically handle. Even injuries to their own muscles from Strength & conditioning. Whether Knee, ankle (any joints really) injuries. They train for explosive movement where Hammys go every week it seems sometimes. Abdominal strains, groin pulls. Tons of these non contact injuries I believe come from their own strength in their bodies injuring themselves. Seeing more & more foot injuries now too. As players get faster, quicker & more explosive. Whether sudden movements off the snap or making a cut on the field. I dont think this is from lack of training, but over training.
& if I am right. It has to continue, because all these players are looking for that small advantage they might get from their strength & conditioning. Unless you are just naturally gifted like a Deion Sanders. You will push the limits of your body to be that difference maker that will create that multi million dollar contract. If you are a hitter. Even if gifted you will still over train for even more dominance.
I think every single strength & conditioning coach or team I guess. Should have it mandatory to have yoga or ballet type classes to help stretch out their work. While I will think they are still stronger than their bodies can take, you would have to believe it would still help. (not a yoga guru)

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am in the camp that ironically Sports science helps with all the non contact injuries. Strength & conditioning has surpassed what ligaments, tendons & bones can typically handle. Even injuries to their own muscles from Strength & conditioning. Whether Knee, ankle (any joints really) injuries. They train for explosive movement where Hammys go every week it seems sometimes. Abdominal strains, groin pulls. Tons of these non contact injuries I believe come from their own strength in their bodies injuring themselves. Seeing more & more foot injuries now too. As players get faster, quicker & more explosive. Whether sudden movements off the snap or making a cut on the field. I dont think this is from lack of training, but over training.
& if I am right. It has to continue, because all these players are looking for that small advantage they might get from their strength & conditioning. Unless you are just naturally gifted like a Deion Sanders. You will push the limits of your body to be that difference maker that will create that multi million dollar contract. If you are a hitter. Even if gifted you will still over train for even more dominance.
I think every single strength & conditioning coach or team I guess. Should have it mandatory to have yoga or ballet type classes to help stretch out their work. While I will think they are still stronger than their bodies can take, you would have to believe it would still help. (not a yoga guru)
I believe you hit it on the head