• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

So if it is Burrows...

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what would be the team strategy to improve this team around him with the rest of the picks, free agency and the roster?

Change the offensive playbook to fit his style like Baltimore did for Lamar Jackson?

Change some coaches?

Who are we getting rid of?

Who are we looking to draft after him?

What free agents could be targeted?

I expect a 49er type turn around from one season to the next.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what would be the team strategy to improve this team around him with the rest of the picks, free agency and the roster?

Change the offensive playbook to fit his style like Baltimore did for Lamar Jackson?

Change some coaches?

Who are we getting rid of?

Who are we looking to draft after him?

What free agents could be targeted?

I expect a 49er type turn around from one season to the next.

Given the Bengals history, there is no reason to suspect that they will deviate from their normal strategy.

No, they will not change the system. Burrow will be fine in a modern NFL offense. Unless he's not. QBs are hard to predict sometimes.

No they will not change coaches.

Yes, I could see them getting rid of some players. They already got rid of Preston Brown. I suspect you won't see Cordy Glenn, Tyler Eifert, or Nick Vigil on next year's team. Dennard might look for greener pastures as well.

They have a lot of needs in the draft. They should take the best player..... Unless a 5th round tight end that can't catch or get open is available. Then they should do that in the second round.

They wont' sign more free agents than they lose.... Love those comp picks. I'd look for them to add a mid-level linebacker and a mid-level offensive lineman. Players not much different than what they have.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's the thing with quarterbacks.... You should probably keep taking them until you find one. I don't fault the Cardinals for what they did when they took Kyler Murray last season. Sure, Rosen was never given much of a chance, but they obviously saw an opportunity for a unique talent.

It's entirely possible that Burrow will suck.... If he does, it will put the Bengals rebuild back another 2 or 3 seasons. But you have to live with it. You just don't want to miss too many times.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's the thing with quarterbacks.... You should probably keep taking them until you find one. I don't fault the Cardinals for what they did when they took Kyler Murray last season. Sure, Rosen was never given much of a chance, but they obviously saw an opportunity for a unique talent.

It's entirely possible that Burrow will suck.... If he does, it will put the Bengals rebuild back another 2 or 3 seasons. But you have to live with it. You just don't want to miss too many times.

I can appreciate that.

kramer1

Sports betting savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We’ve been rebuilding since Clinton was getting hummers in the Oval Office.

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why do people add an "s" to last names?

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We’ve been rebuilding since Clinton was getting hummers in the Oval Office.

Hell, we were already 5 years and 2 failed qbs into a rebuild when Monica showed up.

BKBroiler9000

Glass Eater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t understand the Chase Young over a QB truthers. When is the last time a top DE pick turned a franchise around? Myles Garrett hasn’t led Cleveland to glory yet. The Texans took Clowney #1 overall. And continued to suck. That’s with JJ Watt in his prime, prior to his million injuries. You know when they started winning? The drafted some guy named Deshaun Watson.

The only way the Bengals will ever win with this current organizational structure and philosophy is to draft a superstar QB that can drag Mike Brown scratching and clawing to the Super Bowl.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t understand the Chase Young over a QB truthers. When is the last time a top DE pick turned a franchise around? Myles Garrett hasn’t led Cleveland to glory yet. The Texans took Clowney #1 overall. And continued to suck. That’s with JJ Watt in his prime, prior to his million injuries. You know when they started winning? The drafted some guy named Deshaun Watson.

The only way the Bengals will ever win with this current organizational structure and philosophy is to draft a superstar QB that can drag Mike Brown scratching and clawing to the Super Bowl.

I think there are two reasons for the Chase Young love..... First, he's a Buckeye. A lot of our fans are Buckeye homers. It's gross. Second, the success of the Bosa brothers. Both of them are very impressive players. Though, to your point, it's not like the Chargers are going anywhere on the back of Joey Bosa.

alf8478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think there are two reasons for the Chase Young love..... First, he's a Buckeye. A lot of our fans are Buckeye homers. It's gross. Second, the success of the Bosa brothers. Both of them are very impressive players. Though, to your point, it's not like the Chargers are going anywhere on the back of Joey Bosa.

I think there's also a third reason, and that is that there have been a couple of really good QB's NOT drafted at the top of the first round, Lamar, Russell Wilson, Jimmy G, etc.

Of course the Bengals can barely hit on one of their top picks, let alone 2. So just take the QB.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
About the S...not sure why I put an S with his name all the time. Probably because I like Burrows better than Burrow. Just seems like a verb instead of a name. Like he is going to Burrow himself under his blanket and not come out until his contract is over with the Bengals.

Yes, I am a Buckeye homer, but I also see how damn good Chase Young is. I know you win on the back of a QB in this league. My fear is, we draft Burrow, he has no protection, doesn't know how to play in a pro-style offense and we are now stuck for 5 years with a guy we have to give a chance to continue to pound pud until his contract is up. Hopefully that is not the case.

However, with a porous offensive line, his best WR leaving via FA, and a defense that can't stop guys, I have a feeling Burrow is not going to be able to help us.

I would rather become a really good defensive team, and have a great oline with RB and grind games out old fashioned AFC North style, and have a decent QB to distribute the ball.

I am sure you are all right, we will go Burrow, but that is my fear, and the reason I would rather build the defensive and offensive lines first before put the deer in headlights back there at QB right out of the gate.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the modern NFL, the trick is to have a very good qb on a rookie deal. You then hold a huge asset for only a fraction of what they are worth, which allows you to build the rest of the team. It's also not as big a gamble anymore to swing and miss on a guy. If you pick a guy high in the draft and he doesn't turn out, there isn't a financial penalty to just do it again 2 years later. Yeah, it sucks to miss on a first rounder.... But we're getting used to that around here.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Crash is smarter than our GM, but he's just speaking hypothetically. he knows he won't get his way.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Crash is smarter than our GM, but he's just speaking hypothetically. he knows he won't get his way.

Not sure about that. I just rather see us with a dominate defense and offensive line. We can add the really expensive pieces in on offense with most players at those positions if the rest if golden.

But you're right. I know Burrow is going to be the guy. I just hope he spends his time proving me wrong.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Forget for a moment that the Bengals, no matter who they take, will screw this up.

Every other NFL teams drafts Burrow if they are in the Bengals position. Period.

If you are the 49ers, you can take a Young (or in their case Bosa).
If you are San Diego, you can take a Young (or in their case Bosa).

Why? Both teams have all-pro type QB's. They can afford to look elsewhere to upgrade their team. Cincinnati does not have a QB that makes you think "Man, the Bengals might have a tough game, but XXX is the QB and that gives them a real edge". Pitt had it for years with Roethlisburger. NE, KC, Baltimore now with Jackson - this team is in desperate need of a game changing QB that can sling it and Burros certainly looks to be that guy.

Now, it's obvious the line has to be upgraded. Again, a competent team would probably look at their recent draft picks, look at moving Glenn to RT and then hit the F/A circuit hard. They also could use a nice pass-catching TE as a nice outlet as well, either via draft or F/A.

Again, had the Bengals done what they needed to do prior to the trade deadline this year: Trade AJ, Trade Dunlap, Trade Atkins, trade Kirkpatrick, trade Dalton - take whatever you could get for them and then use the cap space and extra draft picks to really fill out the roster with young fast guys that are a better fit for the modern NFL. They need speed across the defense, and help at both OL/DL and depth all across.

Now, back to reality for a moment: They draft Young, he'll end up like Big Daddy - and if they draft Burrow, he'll end up like Klingler. Just facts because they won't do what they need to do to ensure that either draft pick will be successful, which is to build up the team around them.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if Burrows is wired for success, he'll find his way out of here. Bengals coach walks up to him at workout, combine, or whatever and Burrows says, "with all due respect to everything you did prior to taking the Bengals job, I'd just assume not speak to you about the potential of playing with the Bengals. you had an amazing career as a coach before you threw it all away to coach in Cincinnati and I will not make the same mistake."

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I think there's also a third reason, and that is that there have been a couple of really good QB's NOT drafted at the top of the first round, Lamar, Russell Wilson, Jimmy G, etc.

Of course the Bengals can barely hit on one of their top picks, let alone 2. So just take the QB.

True. Also who are the great QBs picked in the top 5 of the draft during the 2010s?

Newtons had a good career with some great seasons. Luck was an alltime cant miss prospect but Russell Wilson was picked in the late 3rd rd and hes the one going to the HOF. Wentz and Goff had their moments but Prescott's probably the best QB from that draft and he was a mid rd pick.

Burrow's stats in the SEC are amazing and he should probably be the pick but in the modern NFL it doesn't seem like you need to find a franchise QB with a top 5 pick.

Take a QB high if the grade is there but don't reach for one.