• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

So I Took My Class Last Night

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I bought a Glock 19 back in February and I have been trying to take this monthly basic handgun course a local shooting range puts on but I've never been able to make the dates work. So I finally broke down and just got a 2 hour lesson and it was time and money well spent.

I am very comfortable with rifles and shotguns and I would say an above average shot but I had never spent anytime with handguns because I didn't real see the need to have one. I mean if someone broke into my house I have two shotguns for crying out loud. However all this gun control talk over the past year got me thinking I should really get a gun permit so I'm grandfathered in (this was my thinking anyway) so I did that back in September of 2013. They I was like if I am going to have a permit then I really should purchase a handgun so I started researching and decided on the Glock 19 for the following reasons:

1. I'm a big guy but my hands are small in relation
2. I wanted something my wife could learn to shoot also
3. My permit allows me to conceal carry so I wanted something that would allow me to do that comfortably
4. Glocks came highly recommended

My class broke down pretty much like this:

- 20 minutes gun safety
- 15 minutes gun anatomy (for lack of better term) both revolvers and pistols
- 20 minutes of how to hold, stand while firing and load
- 20 minutes how to disassemble and clean
- 45 minutes of range time

I thought this was going to be pretty easy but it is a different world than shooting a rifle. We put the target out about 15 feet and while all my shots where in the kill zone and I was patterning well I couldn't blow the bulls eye like I could with a rifle. Give me a 22 at 15 feet and I could probably cut the bulls eye out but I was struggling just to get it in with the Glock.

I can see why they strongly recommend you shoot frequently to develop and maintain the skill. I can put a rifle down for 2 years pick it up and its like riding a bike but I don't see this being like that. It's kinda strange to me how very different it was.

BF4L

Black/Gold Glasses
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,520.25
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Grats and the Glock 19 is IMO a very good gun. It is my carry gun.

Time spent at the range will make you improve dramatically. I suggest 2 things.

Squeeze that trigger as softly as you can to the point that it almost surprises you when it fires. Find a friend with a revolver and if the cylinder holds 6 only out in say 2 or 3 rounds in various places. Squeeze each trigger pull to stop from diving which is very common.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Grats and the Glock 19 is IMO a very good gun. It is my carry gun.

Time spent at the range will make you improve dramatically. I suggest 2 things.

Squeeze that trigger as softly as you can to the point that it almost surprises you when it fires. Find a friend with a revolver and if the cylinder holds 6 only out in say 2 or 3 rounds in various places. Squeeze each trigger pull to stop from diving which is very common.

Yeah my instructor was big into competitive shooting and really put an emphasis on the trigger pull. I'll see if I can find a revolver.

Mangler

Dis-member
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Congrats on all your decisions, to get a permit, to get a handgun ,and most of all, to get training. Pistol shooting can be difficult to master, but going to the range to practice is hardly a hardship.