• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

So How good is this team really? What is your prediction?

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We are exactly at the 1/3 point of the season and currently on pace to go 72-90. But the schedule has been pretty tough. 30 of their first 54 games were against teams currently holding a playoff spot. They went 11-19 in those games. They have a 13-11 record against sub-.500 teams.

I don't believe this is a playoff team, but I think we can expect the Mariners to improve their W-L record the rest of the way simply because the schedule will be somewhat weaker over the last 2/3rds of the season. We will also get Haniger back at some point. And Rodriguez is more effective now that a few close pitches are going his way versus none going his way over the first 30 games. I mean, he is still getting screwed at the plate (as last night called third strike on a pitch two inches above the strike zone will attest), but we are at least starting to see a little less of that from the umps.

So, I'm not counting the playoffs and think that even reaching .500 is a long shot. Maybe a 79-83 record.

Players that could get move at the deadline? Haniger, Winker, Suarez, Castillo, Elias, Murphy

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
82 Wins and Dipoto will count that as a victory by trading away prospects at the deadline for a late season push.

MarinersBestFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will go 88 wins

My simpleton logic: Julio #44 - if we had 2 J-Rods in the line up the rest of the season I am positive we reach 88 total wins.

Maybe if the other 24 players on the roster sack up and can equal an added Julio every game ... they go 88 wins ( and 74 losses )
14 games above .500 ( in honor of Pete Rose )

That's my math

edited to add: I do not think that is truly 14 games above .500, but I am rolling with it :pound:

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right now they're barely above competitive. Sure would be different with Haniger there, and Kyle Lewis was feeling it until he went all Kyle Lewis. Kid must have done some bad shit in a prior life.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would say that this team can still make the playoffs its almost pointless to speculate what the rest of the season will look like because the baseball season really can be like the stock market. Being 6 games under .500 really is no big deal if we were 6 games above .500 would we be buying our tickets to the post season? Of course not look at the Angels whom started the season on a sprint now they are in a freefall. I will say for the teams that are 15+ games under .500 maybe this season will be a wash. There are some disappointing names that I had high hopes for below.

Jesse Winker
Jarred Kelenic
Robbie Ray

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would say that this team can still make the playoffs its almost pointless to speculate what the rest of the season will look like because the baseball season really can be like the stock market. Being 6 games under .500 really is no big deal if we were 6 games above .500 would we be buying our tickets to the post season? Of course not look at the Angels whom started the season on a sprint now they are in a freefall. I will say for the teams that are 15+ games under .500 maybe this season will be a wash. There are some disappointing names that I had high hopes for below.

Jesse Winker
Jarred Kelenic
Robbie Ray
Normally I would agree with you, but in this particular season, the first 54 games have exposed the Mariners weaknesses in the roster.
If some players can right their ship and start performing like expected (Lewis, Haniger, Kelenic, Ray, Winker) then I think there is a chance. But I just don't see that happening.

But I appreciate your faith. Or, I appreciate that your faith hasn't been beaten out of you by endless disappointments yet. I guess you haven't been a fan of the team as NWinAriz and I so you will have to forgive our well-earned pessimism.

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i need a decent trade..to go 92.....otherwise..i want to say 82..but ill go 85
hard to be situational...

on somthing like this

a money eater may be ok for the right guy...but i would go ..with a AAA guy 1st...

coming 2B/3B..outfield like..i think riser was the guy...yeah somthing like that

Last edited:

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i need a decent trade..to go 92.....otherwise..i want to say 82..but ill go 85
hard to be situational...

on somthing like this

a money eater may be ok for the right guy...but i would go ..with a AAA guy 1st...

coming 2B/3B..outfield like..i think riser was the guy...yeah somthing like that

yeah

Luke Raley #26​

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Geraldo Perdomo would work for me cuz i think he could eventually.play every..infield spot..but ya gota think what if france got injured..then
suarez would be ok as well.....maybe........... but i like suarez defence.at 3rd

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Normally I would agree with you, but in this particular season, the first 54 games have exposed the Mariners weaknesses in the roster.
If some players can right their ship and start performing like expected (Lewis, Haniger, Kelenic, Ray, Winker) then I think there is a chance. But I just don't see that happening.

But I appreciate your faith. Or, I appreciate that your faith hasn't been beaten out of you by endless disappointments yet. I guess you haven't been a fan of the team as NWinAriz and I so you will have to forgive our well-earned pessimism.

I have been a fan a super long time but I always look at things is differently before I pass judgement. I cant put it on Dipoto that the Mariners haven't made the playoffs in 20 years I can only judge him from what he has done since 2016. His whole thing was that we were going to be bad for many years and acquire prospects (same like what the Astros did) then set a date on when we are expected to be good. Julio Rodriguez was his prized best prospect and now he is called up I expect the Mariners to be a competitive ball club making a run for the playoffs. If Julio was a bust and we end up 20 games under .500 then he would be in trouble but if Julio is RoY and we are competitive and just barely missed it like last year with a super young team I could work with that.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I'm entirely past the point of finding any silver lining in coming up short again. I can't work with that.

We aren't asking for a WS win, nor even a WS appearance. Just make the last WC slot, win or lose.

Anything short of that is an utter and complete failure.

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have been a fan a super long time but I always look at things is differently before I pass judgement. I cant put it on Dipoto that the Mariners haven't made the playoffs in 20 years I can only judge him from what he has done since 2016. His whole thing was that we were going to be bad for many years and acquire prospects (same like what the Astros did) then set a date on when we are expected to be good. Julio Rodriguez was his prized best prospect and now he is called up I expect the Mariners to be a competitive ball club making a run for the playoffs. If Julio was a bust and we end up 20 games under .500 then he would be in trouble but if Julio is RoY and we are competitive and just barely missed it like last year with a super young team I could work with that.

Yeah, I'm entirely past the point of finding any silver lining in coming up short again. I can't work with that.

We aren't asking for a WS win, nor even a WS appearance. Just make the last WC slot, win or lose.

i understand...but what..ar you going to do....give up....not a good idea

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
mariners have to re-fine...there roster.......or they go no where...some things happen..

like they may not re-sign hanniger....

lewis may not fully make it back....

you have to move on with what you have..

and it is trade season...................mariners are ---14 run differentual..and ray needs some work....that is what is on the table..right now

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Damn I was going to respond with that same comment then I read yours and no need to repeat. I don't like when people use my words! I am the grumpy old man on here!!!!

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i understand...but what..ar you going to do....give up....not a good idea
There's room between giving up and giving in.

I have followed this team for its entire existence. Was a pirates fan before there was a team in Seattle. I know how to follow shit baseball.

I will still be a mariners fan next year no matter how they finish this season.

I still won't accept any silver lining in anything short of a WC appearance.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
have followed this team for its entire existence. Was a pirates fan before there was a team in Seattle. I know how to follow shit baseball.
I was a Reds fan before the Mariners started. What a drop off that was. Went from Big Red Machine to Be True To The Blue.

People ask me all the time how could I be a Reds fan growing up in Washington. Back in the early/mid 70's you had Dodgers, Red Sox, Pirates, Reds, and Yankees on TV all the time. You had to pick one back then. Loved Johnny Bench. Damn you got me thinking back to winning baseball.

MarinersBestFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was a Reds fan before the Mariners started. What a drop off that was. Went from Big Red Machine to Be True To The Blue.

People ask me all the time how could I be a Reds fan growing up in Washington. Back in the early/mid 70's you had Dodgers, Red Sox, Pirates, Reds, and Yankees on TV all the time. You had to pick one back then. Loved Johnny Bench. Damn you got me thinking back to winning baseball.

I grew up as a kid watching the Reds: 1st at Crosley Field then Riverfront Stadium.

When you went to the ballpark to see the Big Red Machine play ... you EXPECTED them to win every night. Mid 70s baseball, Cincy was the cream of the crop.

As a little leaguer I cherished either my #14 or #5 jersey number.

I remember going to Crosley Field in the late 1960s and watched as the players would walk thru the fans to step onto the playing field ( there was no underground clubhouse ) The very 1st MLB game played under the lights was at Crosley Field also

It has been 50+ years and I can still remember what that ballpark smelled like

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah but really anything short of an ALCS appearance is a massive failure for this team. With every word and move Jerry has made has been for this season being a World Series competitive team. A wild card series isn’t acceptable because they weren’t going to win the division because the Astros which was a given but a wild card exit doesn’t excuse getting rid of all of the payroll and essentially forcing the best overall player on the 2021 roster into retirement. You can say he missed on FA but he signed a Cy Young pitcher and traded for an all star and a former all star which none has been remotely all star level and outside of JRod and Gilbert none of his 2021 prospects have been what they were suppose to be.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I grew up as a kid watching the Reds: 1st at Crosley Field then Riverfront Stadium.

When you went to the ballpark to see the Big Red Machine play ... you EXPECTED them to win every night. Mid 70s baseball, Cincy was the cream of the crop.

As a little leaguer I cherished either my #14 or #5 jersey number.

I remember going to Crosley Field in the late 1960s and watched as the players would walk thru the fans to step onto the playing field ( there was no underground clubhouse ) The very 1st MLB game played under the lights was at Crosley Field also

It has been 50+ years and I can still remember what that ballpark smelled like
1- You had great taste.
2- I never got close to Ohio until late 70's. My dad was from Canton area and we were visiting my mom's sister's family in Columbus after touring the Football H.O.F.
3- You are old!!! LOL.

When I collected baseball cards in '76 and '77, I coveted the Reds cards. Still do outside of the Mariners cards. Fun times.