• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

So are we done expirementing on defense?

MrDoc420

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know about you guys, but I'm full on confused about what the agenda is on defense these past couple weeks.

Look, I understand that if Wood and Nacho were not playing well (missing assignments, out of postion, whatever....) that they might see the bench for a few plays, maybe a quarter, or something....

Yesterday I only saw those two in for what seemed about half the first quarter, and then came in Lenon and Bolden. What exactly is the idea here? I watched Wood and Nacho both yesterday, and aside from one play over the middle on Nacho; I thought they both were playing just fine. Wood especially.....he laid the smack on Matthews on like the 4th play of the game, and I even said "Oh shit, Wood is back". Then he was out for almost the rest of the entire game.

Does the coaching staff really think Bolden and Lenon are playing better at their respective positions right now? Because I can assure them that they are not. Bolden has looked completely lost out there (more so last week, but he still didn't do jack last night), got beat a couple times, and made an absolutely laughable tackle where he looked like he was shying away from the hit :doh:

As for Lenon - He made one good play last night, but outside of that hasn't done ANYTHING impressive.

Now, I know these two players are hardly the sole reason we lost, but I can assure you that it these changes don't help that side of the ball :der:

You cannot, no way, no how tell me that Bolden and Lenon are better players than Woodyard and Ihenacho. I don't understand what the coaching staff is looking at.....

MrDoc420

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vic Lombardi ‏@VicLombardi
Still don't understand why Woodyard got demoted. Defense lifeless without him. They have to regret that decision.

Neither do we Vic. Neither do we.

Broncosr0k

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I totally agree. No way have Ihenacho or Woodyard played worse than Lenon or Bolden. Last night's performance was disgusting. I have never seen the defense so confused. Half the time they were rushing to get into position when the offense was set to snap the ball. Two 12 man penalties, giving the chargers a first down on penalties at least twice. It was terrible. The offense was flat too. They looked completely dead out there. No running game, suspect pass protection, receivers not getting open, questionable decisions by Manning.

My two biggest gripes with this team: The defense is playing below its talent level and the receivers quit when a defensive back touches them.

Someone should tell the team the Lombardi Trophy is not handed to anyone. You want the thing, you have to take it. That means getting a backbone and smashing those who get in the way.

Morpheus

RANGERS LEAD THE WAY!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I totally agree. The defense lacks leadership out on the field when Woodyard is not playing.

This experiment by Del Rio is a failure.

And Kayvonn Webster looked lost. They kept targeting him the whole game in the passing attack.

Paris Lennon did ok against the run at the point of attack on the line of scrimmage but we could not contain the edge.

Way too many mental mistakes by the defense. We gave up 3 first downs on penalties, and another 3 on 3rd and long.

Couple that with the offense going 3 and out 3 times in a row in the 2nd quarter and then San Diego getting the ball; back to do the 2nd half and the defense again was pressured.

The INT in the 4th was a killer and the offense only scoring 20 points was a bad combo.

I would put most of the blame is on the short week and the coaches inability to properly prepare this team.

Hats off to McCoy for coming up with a pretty good game plan.

Malibu

PEACE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree its time to get Woody and Nacho back in there. The defense wasnt great with them in there but they were a hell alot better then the garbage Ive watched the last few weeks. Webster also has gotten worse by the week and every team will continue to go right at him.

Broncosr0k

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Webster is a rookie and has played as such. He is good against the run but has been mixed-bag in the passing game. Fortunately or Unfortunately, depending on perspective, he is injured and may miss a week or two. A rookie is not the most ideal person to start opposite DRC but I suppose there are not many options.

It would be nice to get Champ back in there but I am beginning to wonder if we will ever see him on the field again. It is not a good sign that he has missed the majority of the season with that foot injury.

I think for starters we need to go back to Woodyard in the middle and Ihenacho at SS, we saw the most success there. I also think Del Rio may need to rethink the pressure situation. We don't need a top 10 defense to make a SB run. We just need a middle of the pack one.

One positive from last night's defense, Sly Williams made an appearance.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hats off to McCoy for coming up with a pretty good game plan.

It seems like everyone has or should have the same game plan but just couldn't/can't execute it. Keep Manning on the bench, slow methodical drives, run the ball, get Manning to dink and dunk it (slow him down even if he scores). I think people are done trying to outscore you (Dallas and to an extent, KC and Tennessee - fogot how Indianapolis won - scoring or defense/running the clock?). Not very many teams can do what happened last night. I think it was a perfect storm but the Chargers knew where to navigate.

I feel the Chiefs could do it (keep Manning on the bench, score reasonably often) if their run blocking is good. New England will try to pass too much for this gameplan, but could pull the high scoring thing off. Indianapolis already did but I wouldn't bet on it happening again. Ravens, I wouldn't get started with them, I'm sure you'd love to take care of them. Miami, never thought they challenged anyone. Cincinnatti has a Jeckyl and Hyde QB and would be away from home if they faced you. Chargers did it, but again?

You guys are in a good position to go all the way.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
14 games into the season its not really experimenting IMO. I have NO CLUE why Woodyard isnt playing more since he is the second best defender you have on your team but the reality is the Broncos D is below average even with him in the game. The good news is you may have the best offense to ever take the field so the odds of you guys being OK are still pretty damn good BUT if a team can do what SD did last night to you then they will probably beat you. There really arent too many AFC teams that are capable of doing that though. Maybe KC and Indy ( or the Chargers again if they make the playoffs ). NE wouldnt worry me too much with the loss of Gronk since that cripples their red zone, Cincy is solid but their run game isnt good enough IMO to do what SD did to you guys and frankly even the Colts are playing so shitty right now I cant see them doing it. That leaves KC and SD and only one of those teams is even a playoff lock.

Broncosr0k

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
14 games into the season its not really experimenting IMO. I have NO CLUE why Woodyard isnt playing more since he is the second best defender you have on your team but the reality is the Broncos D is below average even with him in the game. The good news is you may have the best offense to ever take the field so the odds of you guys being OK are still pretty damn good BUT if a team can do what SD did last night to you then they will probably beat you. There really arent too many AFC teams that are capable of doing that though. Maybe KC and Indy ( or the Chargers again if they make the playoffs ). NE wouldnt worry me too much with the loss of Gronk since that cripples their red zone, Cincy is solid but their run game isnt good enough IMO to do what SD did to you guys and frankly even the Colts are playing so shitty right now I cant see them doing it. That leaves KC and SD and only one of those teams is even a playoff lock.

I agree with a lot of this. KC is the one team that scares me the most in the playoffs. They all scare me but KC most of all.

MrDoc420

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with a lot of this. KC is the one team that scares me the most in the playoffs. They all scare me but KC most of all.

And I'm pretty sure that no team has ever beat another 3 times in a season. That'd be another thing going against us if we saw the Chiefs again.