• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Saturday Night Live (SNL)

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thoughts on the new season?

I thought Hammond was HORRIBLE as the new announcer. It felt like we was falling asleep while going through the cast (K, maybe that is understandable).

Che was pretty good as the new co-anchor. I don't watch Daily Show, so I have no history with him to base anything on. He was obviously nervous, but I think he will do fine moving forward.

Leslie Jones was HILLARIOUS!! Why isn't she on the cast? Further, who was the last writer who got featured as much as she was in that episode? I know Franken got a LOT of play when he was a writer, but outside of him, I don't remember any writers/non-cast members getting as much air time in a single ep. Even Conan was only an occasional extra.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was alright. I don't know much about the cast these days. I think Davison is going to steal the show as the season gets rolling though. I looked him up when I saw he was added as a late addition and he's pretty good. Probably had the best bit on Saturday too.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard that Dawson bit, pretty funny.

Hammond should have paid respect to Don with one last impression of him. They had his volume down, barely able to hear him, but the list was so long it was pretty much a losing proposition anyway you look at it. Either audience audio needs to go down or his go up.

SDGuy73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,159.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SNL sucks. It has for years. I tuned in for AG and was bored with their lame shit.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard that Dawson bit, pretty funny.

Hammond should have paid respect to Don with one last impression of him. They had his volume down, barely able to hear him, but the list was so long it was pretty much a losing proposition anyway you look at it. Either audience audio needs to go down or his go up.

Re: Hammond; I was actually thinking he did the exact opposite. I think he may have toned it down so much to draw extra attention to the fact that Pardo was not there anymore. As for him moving forward, he has stated specifically that he will NOT do a Pardo impression. He wants to bring "Hammond" to the announcing. He did the Pardo impression when he filled in because Pardo was the guy, and they did not want to draw attention to the fact that he was out (for whatever reason). It is Hammonds job now. Pardo needs to be left to history.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SNL sucks. It has for years. I tuned in for AG and was bored with their lame shit.

This is all true. But I watch it to see who the up-and-coming comedians are. Even in the dry years, they have the future A-listers on that cast (and writers -- See Conan O'Brian).

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Davidson has been getting a lot of attention for his bit on Update. Apparently, that bit is taken directly from his stand-up act, though. I don't mind that too much, but there has been a little criticism that he wasn't bringing more original material for his big debut.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Davidson has been getting a lot of attention for his bit on Update. Apparently, that bit is taken directly from his stand-up act, though. I don't mind that too much, but there has been a little criticism that he wasn't bringing more original material for his big debut.

I didn't hear that part. The parts of his stand up I have heard that part wasn't included.

He has been getting rave reviews though not just for that segment but being an up and coming comedian. Bill Harder is the one who recommended that Lorne takes a look at him.

Hader himself is gold. Heard he's hosting the 11th!!!

So I think there is definitely a lot of promise for Davidson.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could barely hear Hammond giving the intro.

Sketches were ok. I've read some stuff online and people are absolutely murdering the show but I didn't see what was so terrible. I thought it was ok, not great, just ok. My guess is people just feel like hating on new SNL because that's the thing to do. They aired an episode from 1975 at 10pm that gave me good perspective. While it did have a great classic bit (Richard Pyror in Word Association), 90% of the rest of the show was hot garbage. Not funny at all (and it wasn't like it was terribly dated humor). Everything from the new episode was better than that 75 episode (minus WA and Samurai Hotel.

I liked the show spoof that Mooney/Bennett/Pratt did the best and Davidson bit was pretty funny as well. But with Davidson, the audio must have messed up on my TV for a bit because at first I thought his voice was dubbed over because the words weren't quite matching his mouth. Took me a few seconds to realize what was going on

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chris Pratt is legitimately funny, but even he could not save that shit show on Saturday night. I know saying that SNL isn't funny anymore often gets you labelled as a hipster, but I genuinely felt embarrassed for the people who had to get out there and perform those skits. Really the show started heading downhill about 15 years ago and the last 7 or 8 years the Lonely Island guys were the only thing making it somewhat funny. It really should just be cancelled at this point.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That bit was the only funny part of the whole show.

Melman

DA BEARS!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,046.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It used to seem that SNL would go though a dry spell that would last a couple of seasons, and then the show would find its footing again; that doesn't seem to be the case now. Lorne Michaels finds talented performers on a consistent basis, but for me it feels like the writing has been the big fail more than anything else. I think if you took the best skits and short films from the past five seasons, you could produce one good "Best of" episode.

As far as the 40th season premiere is concerned, Pete Davidson's spot on Weekend Update was the best part of the show. Leslie Jones' bit on being single was amusing, and I liked the Marvel Films parody. The rest was pretty "meh".

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chris Pratt is legitimately funny, but even he could not save that shit show on Saturday night. I know saying that SNL isn't funny anymore often gets you labelled as a hipster, but I genuinely felt embarrassed for the people who had to get out there and perform those skits. Really the show started heading downhill about 15 years ago and the last 7 or 8 years the Lonely Island guys were the only thing making it somewhat funny. It really should just be cancelled at this point.

no, that is too mainstream to be considered hipster.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just saw on Hulu+ that Jim Carrey hosted SNL this past weekend. I haven't watched SNL in a few years, but Jim Carrey as host interest me.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was pretty good.

The Matt Macaugnahay commercial spoofs were epic.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3eN9u5N2Q4]Lincoln Ads - Saturday Night Live - YouTube[/ame]

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
damn, i forgot about it

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought Jeff Daniels playing Lloyd during the family reunion skit was great too.