• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Smoker guys

IrishBlooded

Bewbs or it didn't happen
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
which brand of lump do you use ?

I have been a loyal royal oak and Komodo joe brand guy. But looking to see who uses what else

batchaps4me

Trolley conductor in Mr. Rogers' neighborhood.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,999.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I buy charcoal brick instead of lump for two reasons. We only use charcoal to start the fire in the smoker(we use a chimney starter, no starter fluid … best purchase I have ever made) and for Dutch Oven cooking. We cook with wood and have a small stock of cherry, oak, pecan and apple. Lump is not good for the DO as you cannot regulate the heat as uniformly.

PnkPanther

Hoopla Cash
$ 253.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
B&b lump
Rockwood
Good one

For money I think b&b is best value.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I have been a loyal royal oak and Komodo joe brand guy. But looking to see who uses what else

I've tried about 8 different brands so far. Royal Oak accounts for as many as 3 brands.

Royak Oak by itself, is easy the start, hot fire, but not enough med. to lg pcs to sustain a long hot fire. When mixed with KJ which has several large pcs, it's great.

The best I've used...Nature glo (a commercial blend from Royal Oak). The most med to lg pcs per bag, less dust. $20-$24 per bag. Does everything the premium lump does.

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
pellet stove guy now…fuel is readily available and cheaper than everything else.

when i used wood i cut my own…lump coal wood i would use on the longer burns (i.e. brisket)

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We only use charcoal to start the fire in the smoker(we use a chimney starter, no starter fluid … best purchase I have ever made)

I went with this a few years back.
I liked the chimney, but this thing is way easier.
10 minutes, and POOF, you have fire.

Charcoal Iron

@batchaps4me

WGJjyKhYHAq2S70q6ua_ItJaa8UpJds9y0KFx2_1SnGEWCI1H5rPZB_C2QpgwBCxu1A43qDBZemQrhuaddaU4y5lDrzlGZo3zKYUR3iHpBX_kcRWxghubX3Y_E5Cw-9YvEZPu3iX8GhYN4GfS7eSt0kVAF_ZLBu2JDkRPw6dCls5IZH_4p0C

batchaps4me

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,999.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I went with this a few years back.
I liked the chimney, but this thing is way easier.
10 minutes, and POOF, you have fire.

Charcoal Iron

@batchaps4me

WGJjyKhYHAq2S70q6ua_ItJaa8UpJds9y0KFx2_1SnGEWCI1H5rPZB_C2QpgwBCxu1A43qDBZemQrhuaddaU4y5lDrzlGZo3zKYUR3iHpBX_kcRWxghubX3Y_E5Cw-9YvEZPu3iX8GhYN4GfS7eSt0kVAF_ZLBu2JDkRPw6dCls5IZH_4p0C

I thought about one of those but we have a surplus of newspaper around here and I am a cheap bastard.

Pellet guy here.

I really want a pellet smoker for bad BBQ weather(cold/rain) but I really enjoy using wood and staying on top of the temp. It took us a summer to figure out how to really control the temps/smoke on the vertical smoker. One morning I fired up the smoker about 5:00 AM and my neighbor came out a couple of hours later and said, "there is a lot of love and dedication in BBQing".

williewilliejuan

Giant Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought about one of those but we have a surplus of newspaper around here and I am a cheap bastard.

I really want a pellet smoker for bad BBQ weather(cold/rain) but I really enjoy using wood and staying on top of the temp. It took us a summer to figure out how to really control the temps/smoke on the vertical smoker. One morning I fired up the smoker about 5:00 AM and my neighbor came out a couple of hours later and said, "there is a lot of love and dedication in BBQing".

Even with a pellet smoker you need to spend time with it if you want things to turn out well. You don’t have to worry as much about temperature and smoke levels, but you have keep an eye on moisture levels and continue to check on things periodically. You don’t have to be hovering around it the whole time, but you probably should stay fairly close.

batchaps4me

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,999.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even with a pellet smoker you need to spend time with it if you want things to turn out well. You don’t have to worry as much about temperature and smoke levels, but you have keep an eye on moisture levels and continue to check on things periodically. You don’t have to be hovering around it the whole time, but you probably should stay fairly close.

I just love working the fire while controlling the smoke density and temperature manually. The best way I can put it is that home BBQ is an all day working event. Don't get me wrong, I am not knocking pellet smokers and want to get one but I really enjoy splitting wood, adjusting the fire/smoke and listening to bluegrass/blues in the early hours of the morning.

williewilliejuan

Giant Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just love working the fire while controlling the smoke density and temperature manually. The best way I can put it is that home BBQ is an all day working event. Don't get me wrong, I am not knocking pellet smokers and want to get one but I really enjoy splitting wood, adjusting the fire/smoke and listening to bluegrass/blues in the early hours of the morning.

It’s all good either way. The result is definitely better your way. A pellet smoker is easier, but you don’t get the same depth of smoke. It’s still good, but it isn’t the same. No reason you can’t have both so long as you have room and your wife doesn’t get pissed about the number of different grills in the backyard. I’m angling for a flattop grill to complement my grill and smoker.

Cobrabit

Resident Polymath
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,041.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It’s all good either way. The result is definitely better your way. A pellet smoker is easier, but you don’t get the same depth of smoke. It’s still good, but it isn’t the same. No reason you can’t have both so long as you have room and your wife doesn’t get pissed about the number of different grills in the backyard. I’m angling for a flattop grill to complement my grill and smoker.

Love my flattop. Got a Blue Rhino Razor last year and haven't touched my other grill since. Throw some zucchini, squash, and onions on one side while doing burgers and bacon on the other. No flare ups when doing a couple dozen burgers at a time for a party and clean up isn't too bad. Just crack another beer while letting another layer of oil burn off and then cool down before putting it away.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Smoking with something aside from an electric smoker.

Traeger or pellet smoker = most convenient

Offset smoker = most smoke

Ceramic smoker = most versatile

I have a Primo XL ceramic and I've got two cast iron cooking grates...the griddle and open grate...next to it in the outdoor island is a gas grill...I have a cast iron griddle for this one was well.

Gotta cover all the bases!

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm two cooks into bag of Cowboy brand lump I got @ Lowes....not as many larger pieces as the commercial Royal Oak branded (Nature Glo), but it starts quickly, and gets plenty hot (600 deg easily)...yet to test it on a long-n-slo cook so I can't say it will burn as long as Nature Glo...I think this bag was 15 lbs and $14 vs $24 for Nature Glo but that's a 20 lb bag.

Doesn't replace Nature Glo as my preferred lump, but I would buy again.