• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Smoak vs Morales

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have been debating with some people on another site that believe Morales is only a hair better than Smoak and I wanted to get some of your views on this. I personally have never compared the two because I never thought there was much to compare. For me Morales has proven himself as a proven MLB hitter while Smoak has lived off his potential rankings for far too long.

Again, just curious to see your thoughts between the two.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me it depends on what you are comparing. Smoak is better at D but Morales is way better at the plate.

Personally I think Morales is a better player and more valuable than Smoak. At least at this stage of Smoaks career. Smoak has been really hot at the plate for small portions during his various seasons. I would love to see what he could do if he could stay hot for the whole season.

Basically the only world Smoak is better than Morales is in a season that hasn't happened yet. Smoak would have to put together an entire season at the plate before he can be considered better than Morales.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess comparing overall value to the team is what I am looking at. So if I read your point, you are basing it on Smoaks so called potential to evaluate him to Morales status. I get that, but that can be said for a lot of players I guess. Thanks.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly I would have more value for Morales if we didn't have one of Hart, LoMo or Smoak. There just doesn't seem to be a point of bringing him back anymore unless someone else is moved.

Let me put it this way of the 3 guys that will be playing 1st base/ DH this year (Smoak, Hart, LoMo). I would take Morales over any of them.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is my point in this debate. If you had a Kia and could afford a Mercedes, you don't say no to getting the Mercedes just because you already have the Kia. One lesser valued player should never stop you from getting a higher valued player if you have the resources to get it.

For me it would be no different in saying that we shouldn't sign Garza just because we have enough SP's to fill out the rotation already. Improve at any position as often as you can will improve the overall talent of the team.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I completely agree an example of that would be signing Cano even though we had Franklin and Ackley that can play there.

IMO... In Morales's case as soon as Seattle traded for LoMo and signed Hart the idea of Morales coming back to Seattle was over (at least from the view of the M's org). This is one of the reasons I didn't and still don't understand the trade for LoMo.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have been debating with some people on another site that believe Morales is only a hair better than Smoak and I wanted to get some of your views on this. I personally have never compared the two because I never thought there was much to compare. For me Morales has proven himself as a proven MLB hitter while Smoak has lived off his potential rankings for far too long.

I believe that Kendrys Morales is leagues better than Justin Smoak.

I don't really have to go beyond their stats to prove my point:
Smoak in 2013: 131 G 20 HR 50 RBI .238 BA .334 OBP 1.8 oWAR
Morales in 2013: 156 G 23 HR 80 RBI .277 BA .336 OBP 2.7 oWAR

Smoak in 2012: 132 G 19 HR 51 RBI .217 BA .290 OBP -0.1 oWAR
Morales in 2012: 134 G 22 HR 73 RBI .273 BA .320 OBP 2.4 oWAR

The only things they are comparable in are HRs and OBP.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no question Morales is far better than Smoak. In a way I can't blame the Mariners because Smoak does have ungodly potential but eventually they are going to have to part ways.

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me it depends on what you are comparing. Smoak is better at D but Morales is way better at the plate.

Personally I think Morales is a better player and more valuable than Smoak. At least at this stage of Smoaks career. Smoak has been really hot at the plate for small portions during his various seasons. I would love to see what he could do if he could stay hot for the whole season.

Basically the only world Smoak is better than Morales is in a season that hasn't happened yet. Smoak would have to put together an entire season at the plate before he can be considered better than Morales.

I've never understood where this idea that Smoak is a good fielder comes from. So I took a look at the numbers and sure enough not only is Smoak a below average fielder, Morales actually has him beat. Think about that. Morales is a better first baseman over the course of his career than Smoak. And a much better hitter. Why the hell is Smoak still on this team?

Morales career: DPR 0.3 RngR 16.3 ErrR 0.5 UZR/150 7.7 dWAR -2.9
Smoak career: DPR -1.6 RngR 0.9 ErrR 0.2 UZR/150 -0.1 dWAR -4.1

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Morales isn't a real first baseman, and will never be an everyday defensive player again.

The comparison should only be about batting, and Morales wins hands down.

It becomes a different conversation if we're talking overall value to a team.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Morales isn't a real first baseman, and will never be an everyday defensive player again.

The comparison should only be about batting, and Morales wins hands down.

It becomes a different conversation if we're talking overall value to a team.

I don't think it does. I am not a huge USSM fan, but I asked Dave via twitter during the season what the win difference was between an elite 1B and a below average 1B defensively was and he said 3 wins at most and probably realistically 1 or 2. I was a little shocked by that, but had no evidence to argue so I took it at face value.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think it does. I am not a huge USSM fan, but I asked Dave via twitter during the season what the win difference was between an elite 1B and a below average 1B defensively was and he said 3 wins at most and probably realistically 1 or 2. I was a little shocked by that, but had no evidence to argue so I took it at face value.

What Dave said is fine if you're using it to talk about replacing one everyday first baseman with another one.

Morales as an everyday 1B is never going to happen, which is part of what makes this a bizarre discussion. But if he did, he would cost the team a lot more than 1,2,or 3 wins.

I guess the best way I'd put it is that I'd rather have Morrison at 1B with Morales DHing than have Justin Smoak without Morales.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Morales as an everyday 1B is never going to happen, which is part of what makes this a bizarre discussion. But if he did, he would cost the team a lot more than 1,2,or 3 wins.

I guess the best way I'd put it is that I'd rather have Morrison at 1B with Morales DHing than have Justin Smoak without Morales.

Yea I agree with this. Morales cant play 1st more then 1-2 days a week. Thats why Morales going to the NL makes no sense. Personally I would rather move Morales DH then Cruz though