• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Smith vs. Bradford

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'm a bit reluctant to dredge this up on the new board, but as it was a discussion for a few weeks on the old board and we now have some sample size to examine, Smith seriously outperformed Bradford this week according to QBR this week:

QBR ranks: Alex Smith leads NFC West - NFC West Blog - ESPN

QBR should take the Rams' drops into account, though it does not take the caliber of the opponent into account, and clearly Philly has a better pass D than Seattle. That said, the Rams were absolutely shredding the Eagles on the ground, putting Bradford into favorable situations that he failed to capitalize on, while our run game was all but useless. Obviously Bradford still has far greater potential going forward, but he's got to be more willing to push the ball downfield. His five-yard passes aren't going to cut it this season.

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didnt Bradford get hurt and not finish the game?

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Actually, I was reading the NFC East blog and it indicates that QBR does take caliber of opposing D into account. I didn't realize that.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Didnt Bradford get hurt and not finish the game?

Yes, but he got hurt with 8 minutes remaining, trailing by 18. The game was effectively over by then. The Eagles put together a four-minute drive on their next possession and that was basically that.

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jackson going down was huge in that game. The Eagles can be run on. Smith had a pretty efficient game but was hurt by the play calling. I know that he may have checked down on some of the throws, but there wasn't much creativity in the offense yesterday. It was frustrating to watch.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Jackson going down was huge in that game. The Eagles can be run on. Smith had a pretty efficient game but was hurt by the play calling. I know that he may have checked down on some of the throws, but there wasn't much creativity in the offense yesterday. It was frustrating to watch.

Losing Jackson was a big blow, but the Cadillac still went for nearly 5 YPC. Despite a fairly big win, Philly has to be worried about that.

I'm not sure why we didn't push down the field more. Smith had a few chances, but it seemed like we didn't call many deep balls. Could have to do with reports from camp that Smith struggled with the deep ball.

Bracus

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
IMHO no comparison whatsoever. Bradford will be a pain for us for years to come (barring injury) and Alex probably won't be on the team next year. I fully believe Bradford is legit, as much as it hurts.

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
66 is elite QB range

definitely a sample size

ViperVisor

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'm happy some goofball yackers hype of Bradford blew up in their faces for 1 week.

He threw 590 passes in 2010 and scored 18+ in fantasy 1 time.

Alex Smith did that 3 times. He was no better than 2006 Alex Smith last year.

How bout he do something for some time before saying he is the 14th best QB in the NFL.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'm happy some goofball yackers hype of Bradford blew up in their faces for 1 week.

The thing to realize is that most people who talk about the NFL are just repeating what they hear others say. Almost nobody watches more than a few games a week, and therefore almost no one has a solid, comprehensive view of the players around the league.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
IMHO no comparison whatsoever. Bradford will be a pain for us for years to come (barring injury) and Alex probably won't be on the team next year. I fully believe Bradford is legit, as much as it hurts.

It's only a one-game comparison, not projecting their careers from this poitn forward. Initially, the discussion was who would you pick if you had to win one game, and I said I was torn and might take Smith. Based on this week's results, that seems a reasonable proposition. Bradford has FAR more upside, though I do still have some doubts. He has the talent, but he doesn't seem willing to cut loose thus far.

mm03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I actually didn't get to see much of the game until today.. Living in Iowa and then Chicago has sucked big time for 49er football the last decade... Well I guess it sucked everywhere even if you got to watch all the games =) lol

Anyway, I think Harbaugh has Smith on a leash at the moment still easing him into the offense. The better he gets with the vanilla plays right now the more he opens things up later. It looked like he did a decent job for what he was given this week. I do feel pretty comfortable running the WCO w/ Smith. I think this will be his best season yet by a lot.

If anyone has a go to place to watch streams for 49ers games I'd love you if you pm'd it to me. =)

Bracus

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
It's only a one-game comparison, not projecting their careers from this poitn forward. Initially, the discussion was who would you pick if you had to win one game, and I said I was torn and might take Smith. Based on this week's results, that seems a reasonable proposition. Bradford has FAR more upside, though I do still have some doubts. He has the talent, but he doesn't seem willing to cut loose thus far.

Ok gotcha, that's what I get for showin up late to the party lol. Although I'd still take Bradford. Maybe we can email this thread to the Rams GM and make an offer for a 1 for 1 swap lol.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I made a thread about this on ESPN about how their career paths so far are extremely similar. I'm not a fan of either QB, but Sam Bradford looked much better last year than Alex Smith at any point of his career.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Ok gotcha, that's what I get for showin up late to the party lol. Although I'd still take Bradford. Maybe we can email this thread to the Rams GM and make an offer for a 1 for 1 swap lol.

Well, this was a conversation we had on the old ESPN board. Got kind of nasty toward the end.

yossarian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember that thread and it was nasty. I agree that Harbaugh is going to go slow with Smith, probably to build up his confidence in the system etc., but he made some good throws yesterday. I was encouraged.

dasharpest1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The hams have a highly suspect o-line. heavy pressure is the way to beat them. It's a little early, but it looks like we can bring it this year to the QB