• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Slow Play? Adam Scott Says Deal With It!

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Outspoken Adam Scott's solution to slow play on PGA Tour: 'I'll take the penalty'

Bottom line is he's right...until they start hitting players with strokes, slow play is not going to change on tour.

One of the announcers mentioned Fed ex points. But only the guys in the top 25 or so would really care about that.
Yea, strokes hurt universally.

On another note, Ricky got hit for a penalty for taking a drop at shoulder height. The new rule is knee height.

That surprised me. I figured the knee rule was to give players a better chance at a better lie. But if a player still wants to drop from the shoulder they could or so i thought. It's weird that made it a penalty.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They need to speed the shit up and they need a standard ball. Golf's becoming unwatchable. Just swing for the cheap seats off the tee and the guy that goes 20+ under wins it. Don't get me wrong, I think the guys playing now are the best ever at it because of all of the tech they throw at this game beyond the equipment but it's turning into a joke. I get it, they can blast it REALLY FAR and accurate. But some of the older historical courses aren't even designed to handle these distances off the tee. They just blast over the stuff that's supposed to challenge them.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of the announcers mentioned Fed ex points. But only the guys in the top 25 or so would really care about that.
Yea, strokes hurt universally.

On another note, Ricky got hit for a penalty for taking a drop at shoulder height. The new rule is knee height.

That surprised me. I figured the knee rule was to give players a better chance at a better lie. But if a player still wants to drop from the shoulder they could or so i thought. It's weird that made it a penalty.

Good pick up...I didn't realize the new drop was mandatory from the knee either.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They need to speed the shit up and they need a standard ball. Golf's becoming unwatchable. Just swing for the cheap seats off the tee and the guy that goes 20+ under wins it. Don't get me wrong, I think the guys playing now are the best ever at it because of all of the tech they throw at this game beyond the equipment but it's turning into a joke. I get it, they can blast it REALLY FAR and accurate. But some of the older historical courses aren't even designed to handle these distances off the tee. They just blast over the stuff that's supposed to challenge them.

For a WGC event, this course is somewhat of a joke with the altitude factored. Imo the PGAT is fine with 20+ under par winning some events. Jack will always set up the Memorial to be a tough test, Bay Hill. They are in the sports entertainment biz, so offense sells. These guys are playing pristine conditioned courses,

I'm okay with the ball as it is now...cor has not really increased on equipment recently. The players are stronger, better trained, and bigger/taller. I think Merion proved old golf courses can still test the best players in the world, but what they can't do is hold all of the corp tents, media etc.

To your point...I don't sit there and watch 4 days of a birdiefest...if it's close on Sunday I'll watch pretty much any golf, but I get up for the majors mostly.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If anyone in your weekly foursome took nearly as long as any tour pro over every shot, you'd wrap a fucking club around their neck.

Thing is, with a golf telecast, there's always other shots to televise.....until you get to the final group or a playoff and then you realize just how ridiculous these guys are.

Zooky

I make chunk plays.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can caddies help speed up their players? One veteran looper says yes, and he would know better than anyone - Golf Digest

Can caddies help speed up their players? One veteran looper says yes, and he would know better than anyone

GettyImages-642948824.jpg

Of professional golf’s many glaring issues, slow play was way down on the list in the early portion of 2019 . The focus was squarely on the new Rules of Golf, most notably the new knee-height drop rule, the rule that allows players to putt with the flagstick in and the rule that no longer allows caddies to stand behind their players and line them up. Slow play, like it always has, remained a necessary evil that we all just accepted.

That was until Sunday at Riviera, when J.B. Holmes’ glacial pace of play was on full display in the final group at the Genesis Open, much like it was a year ago on the 72nd hole at Torrey Pines. To be fair, it was a high-pressure situation and the wind and course conditions certainly played a factor, and Holmes is hardly the only culprit on tour. But Sunday at Riviera was particularly brutal, and Holmes’ lack of self-awareness about the matter has made him public enemy No. 1 on Golf Twitter.

This has naturally led to endless questions about what can be done to combat golf's pace-of-play problem. Could the PGA Tour try a shot clock a la the European Tour’s Shot Clock Masters, which drew good reviews in its first edition a year ago. Should the tour start handing out penalties? Should the player take some responsibility and start picking up the pace? All fair questions that probably won’t be answered anytime soon.

Kenny Harms, one of the tour’s veteran caddies who has been on Kevin Na’s bag since 2009, believes that caddies can play a huge role in speeding up their guy. Harms would know this better than anyone, as he was on the bag for Na’s infamous performance at the 2012 Players Championship, when the two-time tour winner struggled to pull the trigger over certain shots. Harms spoke to The Caddie Network this week about slow play, and how he and Na made a conscious effort to improve Na’s pace ever since the debacle at TPC Sawgrass.

“First of all, a player has to want to get quicker,” Harms said. “[Na] wanted to speed up. He said, ‘I can’t have this reputation.’ Nobody wants to sponsor the slowest player on tour.”

Na’s admission is an admirable one, and one that’s not all too surprising. Na spoke at length to Golf.com’s Alan Shipnuck in 2016 about his reputation, and Harms is adamant that he has helped Na change this whole perception. Come to think of it, when’s the last time you saw Na struggle to pull the trigger on television?

“You cannot change someone’s rhythm," Harms says. “You can’t take a guy who’s deliberate and make him fast. We got his rhythm back to where it was supposed to be. And no more lining up. I give him a target and he goes. If he’s really far off, he might call me in, but otherwise, I tell him where the line is and he goes with it."

Harms revealed plenty of other ways a caddie can help speed up his player in the full interview with The Caddie Network, which you should definitely go read here. If he found a way to fix Na, he can fix anybody.

femurov

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,138.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they let the pros use carts, it would speed up the game... Just sayin'.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they let the pros use carts, it would speed up the game... Just sayin'.

It would...but that would be too big of a blow to the history of the sport I think....golf was born a walking game and is still best played walking actually, but the revenue from the carts made them a no brainer.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nah, it's the fucking around endlessly after arriving at the ball that's the problem.

hey, I got it....SHOT CLOCK!

Or how about just a time limit like we place on searching for a ball.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would...but that would be too big of a blow to the history of the sport I think....golf was born a walking game and is still best played walking actually, but the revenue from the carts made them a no brainer.

The revenue made them a no brainer???

Well on the player side of things "BEER" ...made them a no brainer.

Shit, If I'm going to at least bogey every hole ..I'll be dammed if I'm going to carry my beer too.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The revenue made them a no brainer???

Well on the player side of things "BEER" ...made them a no brainer.

Shit, If I'm going to at least bogey every hole ..I'll be dammed if I'm going to carry my beer too.

I agree!

But, I was looking at a 4 wheel push cart at PGA Superstore just the other day...it had a beer holder.....:D

fknhippie

I'll shit in your shoes.
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree!

But, I was looking at a 4 wheel push cart at PGA Superstore just the other day...it had a beer holder.....:D
Not sure why anyone needs a beer holder. Drink cart arrives, buy beer, chug beer, play golf. Three holes later rinse and repeat.

Though I'll admit i seldom drink on the course, i usually wait until i get back to the clubhouse where they keep the good beer.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure why anyone needs a beer holder. Drink cart arrives, buy beer, chug beer, play golf. Three holes later rinse and repeat.

Though I'll admit i seldom drink on the course, i usually wait until i get back to the clubhouse where they keep the good beer.

See, the beer is a little more center stage for me.

Foursome, 2 Golf carts both with a soft cooler in back.(from home) We usually split an 18 pack.

Drink carts are thought to be extinct in the 5 Boros ...there is a sighting or 2.
So we grew up learning to be self reliant. (and cheap)

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Our membership deal had some incentives that I think they will probably rescind soon...after 11 tee times, you get a ticket for 2 draft beers (used to be cans)...if you tee off before 11, you get a tkt for 1 beer, and you pay more for the round...I never understood that.

I'm in a friendly $ game every week so I try to keep my alcohol consumption to a minimum until I'm hopelessly out of it. :D

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's only a couple of courses around here that I use a cart. The jumping in/jumping out always kills any rhythm I can get going. And the cart can turn into a pain in the ass in Seattle because it's cart path only for a lot of the year with the rain. I prefer to walk and carry.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's only a couple of courses around here that I use a cart. The jumping in/jumping out always kills any rhythm I can get going. And the cart can turn into a pain in the ass in Seattle because it's cart path only for a lot of the year with the rain. I prefer to walk and carry.

A man's man!

Hope to get out to WAS St and play soon...Colo courses are very walkable, I always walk when I out there playing.

Here...maybe 2 or 3 that I would say are walkable for the avg Joe...The Georgia Club is one. But they only allow walkers late afternoon. Most of the other ones...with the constant up and down, and tee boxes 50-60 yd from the last green, the avg Joe (fat ass Georgians) probably couldn't finish 9 walking.