• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Sloane Stephens names new coach: Paul Annacone

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Annacone and Stephens have been working together since November, and now they've announced he's officially her coach.

Sloane Stephens hires Paul Annacone as her coach

Sampras and Fed won a total of 10 majors while under Annacone's tutelage, so this is a GREAT thing for Sloane Stephens.

Last edited by a moderator:

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not so sure this will be a good thing. Not sure they match up well. Fed and Sampras were both very good volleyers and didn't mind coming to the net. Not sure Stephens can have success with it. Anything worth a try at this point though. She has been getting beat early regularly lately.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I agree Lion. Plus, this is Anacone's first try with a female player, I believe. You never know what that dynamic might be.

Interestingly, Fed seems to have approached net less under Annacone than he did when he was in his prime, and only won 1 major while under Annacone's tutelage...appropriately enough, Wimebledon. Perhaps Annacone is attuned to the modern game, which has much slower surfaces everywhere, including even grass, and new string technology that makes passing much easier off of low sliced balls, and makes aggressive s/v play basically a relic.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I noticed that a bit too. I wonder if Annacone did more harm than good to Fed? One would have thought it would be a perfect fit. It did not work out that way.

Hs0022

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I noticed that a bit too. I wonder if Annacone did more harm than good to Fed? One would have thought it would be a perfect fit. It did not work out that way.
I doubt he did any harm. Fed's inability to come to the net and put away volley shots or just volley well under pressure from modern racquets and spin friendly strings and superhuman strength (like Nadal taking PEDS) is hardly Annacone's fault. Its also an indication that Fed did not muscle-hit that approach shot (anyone who plays tennis knows you just can't approach the net behind any shot unless it is hit with authority and is deep with a lot of action) because he doesnt possess any Nadal like muscles. Still hats off to Fed for trying. Hopefully he will lift some weights in 2014 and build up a little more strength to muscle some approach shots and some backhands.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I agree Lion. Plus, this is Anacone's first try with a female player, I believe. You never know what that dynamic might be.

Interestingly, Fed seems to have approached net less under Annacone than he did when he was in his prime, and only won 1 major while under Annacone's tutelage...appropriately enough, Wimebledon. Perhaps Annacone is attuned to the modern game, which has much slower surfaces everywhere, including even grass, and new string technology that makes passing much easier off of low sliced balls, and makes aggressive s/v play basically a relic.

Are there any stats which can show net points per match over a season? Or even total net points per season. Then we can see how often FED came to the net in the few years before, and then during Annacone.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't even know they had stopped working together.

Maybe I did, but I had forgotten it awhile ago.

This is the first US Open since 1999 that I haven't watched. I don't regret cutting the cord, but still, it gets a little tough with no sports.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't even know they had stopped working together.

Maybe I did, but I had forgotten it awhile ago.

This is the first US Open since 1999 that I haven't watched. I don't regret cutting the cord, but still, it gets a little tough with no sports.

It was a good first week.

Are you going to get MLB TV streaming in future years? Or those other sports league passes.