• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Slay to Philly?

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think at one point he was like 129th out of 131 qualifying CB's in coverage or something insanely bad. So, yeah... it was a ROOOUUGGH year.

They were also one of the worst at pressuring/sacking the QB... Makes a difference... He's an aggressive corner... He may fit in well with the Eagles since they can pressure the QB consistently...

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A much needed pick up cause that secondary is trash. Good trade.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems like a win/win. Eagles can take the risk on Slay potentially only being average. Slay does have upside of maybe having another peak season in there somewhere, too, but I certainly wouldn't count on it.

Lions got a 3rd for an older player who came off a down year and was one of the 'stars' that played on one of the worst pass Ds in football. History will usually point to this being the right move for the Lions.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Feel free to add LBer to that “trash” comment. Oh, WR too. I don’t know if we even have any LBers signed.

No, no LBers signed but hopefully they'll draft one although I'm not confident in Howie picking a good LBer. WR is deep in this draft so maybe draft 2 and add a FA to try and upgrade.

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, no LBers signed but hopefully they'll draft one although I'm not confident in Howie picking a good LBer. WR is deep in this draft so maybe draft 2 and add a FA to try and upgrade.

This team puts very very VERY little emphasis on LBer. They just completely ignore the position. The sad part is they put a lot of emphasis on CB but can’t seem to scout them.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems like a win/win. Eagles can take the risk on Slay potentially only being average. Slay does have upside of maybe having another peak season in there somewhere, too, but I certainly wouldn't count on it.

Lions got a 3rd for an older player who came off a down year and was one of the 'stars' that played on one of the worst pass Ds in football. History will usually point to this being the right move for the Lions.

I think Philly got a steal. I’m a Lions fan and while on paper, it may look like Slay had a down year — the defense, as a whole, was terrible. Detroit had the 5th most passes thrown against their defense, while they ranked 2nd to last in sacks.

Half the time Detroit was rushing 3 and QBs had time to take a nap before throwing a pass. In Philly, with a quality DL — I think you see a big step up. If anything, he will extend his career, as he won’t have to cover guys for 6-7 seconds every play:lol:

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This team puts very very VERY little emphasis on LBer. They just completely ignore the position. The sad part is they put a lot of emphasis on CB but can’t seem to scout them.

It's annoying they do nothing at LB and put all the pressure on the D-line to preform top notch. Slay is a nice pick up but yes, Howie needs to find and actually hit on a CB this year. If another drafted CB fails than fire that group who scouts them.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Feel free to add LBer to that “trash” comment. Oh, WR too. I don’t know if we even have any LBers signed.
Maybe they are going to play an 8-1-2 defense this year. that would beat the shit out of QBs

and I think the Cowboys will play a 5-4-2. Maybe a 6-4-1 if they sign Griffin

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just saw the below on Spotrac. As I said here and with every FA signing it's the details that matter and if this is true it makes Slay a great deal for Philly if he is still the same player IMO. 3 for $50M (when you also gave up picks) vs 2 for $27M is night and day.

POTENTIAL OUT: 2022, 2 YR, $26,550,000; $6,500,000 DEAD CAP

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Uh huh. Let me know when the cap hell gets here.
Its been said by a few they are kicking the can down the road. The day is coming, now if they get a few Lombardi's out of it all is good, but if they don't s d have to gut the team most of you will scream for Howie's head on a stick.

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its been said by a few they are kicking the can down the road. The day is coming, now if they get a few Lombardi's out of it all is good, but if they don't s d have to gut the team most of you will scream for Howie's head on a stick.

It’s not going to happen. Really the only bad cap move Howie has done was guaranteeing Alshons deal. They are just fine. I remember them getting a ton of shit being way over the cap and they proceeded to sign 4 players all at more then 10 mill per and one getting 100 million guaranteed just to come out the following season 30 million under. They’ve signed soooo many big time FAs over the years and have never been in trouble. Look at Jarntts post above. People were laughing that we made Slay the highest paid CB in the NFL but when you look at the real numbers it’s really a 2 year 25 million dollar deal. That’s nothing for a pro bowl CB.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It’s not going to happen. Really the only bad cap move Howie has done was guaranteeing Alshons deal. They are just fine. I remember them getting a ton of shit being way over the cap and they proceeded to sign 4 players all at more then 10 mill per and one getting 100 million guaranteed just to come out the following season 30 million under. They’ve signed soooo many big time FAs over the years and have never been in trouble. Look at Jarntts post above. People were laughing that we made Slay the highest paid CB in the NFL but when you look at the real numbers it’s really a 2 year 25 million dollar deal. That’s nothing for a pro bowl CB.
You guys just see what you want. I keep telling you there is no magic to the cap, it's just Math. Slay was a good deal. But, you signed all of those guys in the last couple of years by backloading the contracts more than any other team ever has. Then you restructure more contracts to make more cap room to do it some more. Most teams, heck every team backloads contracts and assume the cap goes up to cover it, but Howie does this asinine thing where he spreads the cap over dead years. That means every time most of these players that were signed in the last couple of years contract ends they have like $5M each in dead money - now multiply that by 5 or 6 players and after next year probably add 2 or 3 more. Most teams have dead money when a player is cut or retires before his deal is up but this is above and beyond that. This is the regular dead money for any players that is cut, plus when these 3 year deals end, there is still two years of unallocated bonuses that need to hit the cap. You can't look at the current years, you need ot look at the outer years.

The money doesn't disappear it just keeps getting kicked down the road and will eventually implode. Did you know that you are currently (the only team over the cap for 2021? And this assumes you end this year with $18M in cap space to roll over. So Howie will restructure some more and you guys will say "I told you so" just like a bunch of Cowboy fans did for years until we couldn't sign anyone for a long time. Again, it's just Math.

NFL 2021 Salary Cap Tracker

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We still have Dallas fans talking crap about salary cap management in here? Going to be a looong off season?

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They've been educated three offseasons in a row now. With facts and data.

They'll never understand it because they don't have the intelligence to do so.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We still have Dallas fans talking crap about salary cap management in here? Going to be a looong off season?

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess they would rather obsess over whether Philly has bad cap management than whether Dallas can ever win anything again in their lifetimes?

Also, who are the starting corners on the Cowboys? How do they compare to Darius Slay? I'll wait.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You guys have to understand what kicking the can down the road means. I don't think anyone e said it was going to happen by 2020, but these contract redo's and fake money will eventually catch up.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many salary cap championships have the Cowboys won since 1996? Do you guys celebrate those now?

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
e00b3e959229658ebb176acaabd617fe.jpeg