• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Skins/Hawks post game

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The one time he kicked deep it went to the back of the end zone. What ever happened to covering kicks? Teams used to do it 5-6 times a game, now it's so impossible we concede the ball on the 40. Sorry, that's not all on the kicker.

Disagree for the most part. Watch just about any NFL game. Hardly any kicks are returned. It would be nice to have solid kick coverage. However - very, very few kicks should ever be returned. Why even risk it - I would take the opponents having the ball on the 20 every single time. It appears that both Way and Forbath can do this at times but not often enough.

Now punt coverage, punt returns, etc are a different matter & I still can't believe that this team can't put together decent special teams - to me that is all about coaching. I still believe the ST coach last season was horrible but perhaps the current one is equally bad. They better figure this out eventually.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ben Kotwica Brought In For Special Teams

Perhaps this (or similar) was posted earlier in the year & I missed it. In reviewing the current ST coach's resume it just strikes me that he is a little green. I truly appreciate his service to the country & he was part of some success. However - just like last season - it appears as if they hired someone who didn't have a very extensive resume. Maybe I am wrong.

Unless they have a dramatic turnaround I would advocate hiring a ST coach with extensive background if that is possible. Again - I have to believe that ST is determined in a major way by coaching since you don't need to man the squad with high draft picks for the most part. Perhaps the organization is already thinking of ways of upgrading this area - they better.

KickSaveDave

Message Board Migrant
America's safest and most boring city: Irvine, CA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ben Kotwica Brought In For Special Teams

Perhaps this (or similar) was posted earlier in the year & I missed it. In reviewing the current ST coach's resume it just strikes me that he is a little green. I truly appreciate his service to the country & he was part of some success. However - just like last season - it appears as if they hired someone who didn't have a very extensive resume. Maybe I am wrong.

Unless they have a dramatic turnaround I would advocate hiring a ST coach with extensive background if that is possible. Again - I have to believe that ST is determined in a major way by coaching since you don't need to man the squad with high draft picks for the most part. Perhaps the organization is already thinking of ways of upgrading this area - they better.

The time to do that was last offseason. Somehow, they've actually gotten worse than last years abomination.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The time to do that was last offseason. Somehow, they've actually gotten worse than last years abomination.

Well - they better be finding ways to upgrade the ST or else they will in the same position next season. Just like with the O-line & secondary this is another area where traditionally the Redskins ruled but now are among the worst in the NFL.

Tdog21Skins

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We haven't been good on special teams sense Danny Smith left

skinz2winz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brian McNally

More Ryan Clark: "Hopefully we're not saying we can build on it. Because you can't build on a loss. It's still an "L"…"

Ryan needs to stop talking and start playing better himself!

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Disagree for the most part. Watch just about any NFL game. Hardly any kicks are returned. It would be nice to have solid kick coverage. However - very, very few kicks should ever be returned. Why even risk it - I would take the opponents having the ball on the 20 every single time. It appears that both Way and Forbath can do this at times but not often enough.

Now punt coverage, punt returns, etc are a different matter & I still can't believe that this team can't put together decent special teams - to me that is all about coaching. I still believe the ST coach last season was horrible but perhaps the current one is equally bad. They better figure this out eventually.

Oh I totally get what you are saying. And yes the easy fix is to find a guy who kicks it out of the end zone. But that guy may not be the same as the guy we have, a guy who has made 18 of his last 19 kicks. We've been looking for 2 decades to find a guy who makes kicks and I"m not ready to bail on that guy to find a kicker with a big leg who goes misses twice as many field goals. I'm sure that kicker in Detroit had fine kickoffs. :)

Again teams used to be able to cover kickoff, yes even our team once upon a time. 10 years ago teams covered 5-6 kickoffs a game and very rarely did a team break one. So we are saying this is such an impossible task with this team, to cover a simple kickoff, that we are reduced to the embarrassment of conceding the ball on the 40. For that reason alone I"m not ready to put it all on the kicker. That's what I meant.

Last edited by a moderator:

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh I totally get what you are saying. And yes the easy fix is to find a guy who kicks it out of the end zone. But that guy may not be the same as the guy we have, a guy who has made 18 of his last 19 kicks. We've been looking for 2 decades to find a guy who makes kicks and I"m not ready to bail on that guy to find a kicker with a big leg who goes misses twice as many field goals. I'm sure that kicker in Detroit had fine kickoffs. :)

Again teams used to be able to cover kickoff, yes even our team once upon a time. 10 years ago teams covered 5-6 kickoffs a game and very rarely did a team break one. So we are saying this is such an impossible task with this team, to cover a simple kickoff, that we are reduced to the embarrassment of conceding the ball on the 40. For that reason alone I"m not ready to put it all on the kicker. That's what I meant.

It is not all on the kicker but they must have a kicker who can kick 80% + of kicks out of end zone & have the opponents start on 20. Just about every team in the NFL kicks it out of the endzone on kickoffs. Sure you could attempt to pin a team back by using the other approach but why take the risk? When you allow them to return you also risk giving up a long return or even a TD. That appoach has generally not been used since they move the kickoffs up a few years ago. Now punting is a whole different manner (and due partially to the Skins punter they actually do well in that area for the most part).

As I posted elsewhere I would not even have a problem taking up another roster spot for a guy who only kicks off (would like to avoid it) since these returns are killing this team (& a lot of the defensive players are subpar anyhow).

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree SoCal But just look at our track record with kickers and tell me it's an easy fix to find a guy who is better. As for the extra roster spot as long as they can't cover kicks it's a good idea. Still liking my idea though, tackle the return guy. It's not that damn hard.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree SoCal But just look at our track record with kickers and tell me it's an easy fix to find a guy who is better. As for the extra roster spot as long as they can't cover kicks it's a good idea. Still liking my idea though, tackle the return guy. It's not that damn hard.

Very, very few teams take that approach & there is a reason for that. Do you mean to tell me that if I guaranteed you that all opponents drives after kickoffs would start at the 20 that you wouldn't take that deal? I would - in a heartbeat.

Anyhow - forget about what you & I think - they need to have a ST coach that knows how to make the right decisions. The current guy still has time to redeem himself, but I highly doubt that will happen. If not - jeez - find a guy that you know can get the job done & pay him whatever he needs.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very, very few teams take that approach & there is a reason for that. Do you mean to tell me that if I guaranteed you that all opponents drives after kickoffs would start at the 20 that you wouldn't take that deal? I would - in a heartbeat.

Anyhow - forget about what you & I think - they need to have a ST coach that knows how to make the right decisions. The current guy still has time to redeem himself, but I highly doubt that will happen. If not - jeez - find a guy that you know can get the job done & pay him whatever he needs.

If you could guarantee me the guy who put the other team on the 20 hits 18 of his last 19 then yeah I take that deal. But if that guy goes 15 for 19 then no I take the guy who makes his field goals. Again look at all the games we have lost over the past decade because we missed field goals.

When the kickoffs were at the 30 teams had no trouble covering 5-6 kicks a game. Good teams often pinned teams inside the 20, the return's team's goal was to get it over the 30 and they did it less than half the time. Kickoffs are not the sole problem here, kick coverage is equally to blame.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you could guarantee me the guy who put the other team on the 20 hits 18 of his last 19 then yeah I take that deal. But if that guy goes 15 for 19 then no I take the guy who makes his field goals. Again look at all the games we have lost over the past decade because we missed field goals.

When the kickoffs were at the 30 teams had no trouble covering 5-6 kicks a game. Good teams often pinned teams inside the 20, the return's team's goal was to get it over the 30 and they did it less than half the time. Kickoffs are not the sole problem here, kick coverage is equally to blame.

I will take the 15 for 19 guy (BTW - that could be Forbath this season - there is no guarantee that he will put up the same #s as a few years ago) if it means regular touchbacks. It sounds good on paper to suggest that someone like Forbath will be winning games. However - what is not mentioned are the returns for TDs & long gains that this team has seen against teams like the Eagles this year & several other teams last year.

Even a very good kick coverage team is going to give up returns at times to the likes of Harvin, Hester, etc. However - these guys can't return kicks that are out of endzone. Oh well - again - I can live with either approach & I truly believe that a lot of this falls on the ST coach & don't understand why this team can't find & retain a decent one (please, please let the current guy prove me wrong over the remainder of the season).

HTTR

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3