• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Single A around the Block

dgonaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Figured I would start some threads for the other minor league levels just to keep us up to date on all the prospects down the wire even if some of years away. So here is the far future guys the single A guys and remember with it being single A these guys are really really raw so far.

Hitting:

Offensive star of the Tourists is SS Rosell Herrera who has 40 hits so far, 8 doubles and 6 HR and 19 RBI combined with 6 SB (caught 3 times). He has 15 walks and 26 strikeouts. He has commited 10 errors so far on the season.

CF David Dahl is on this team and hasn't seen too much action so far appearing in just 9 games. He has 9 hits, 3 doubles, and 1 triple no HRs yet. He has walked twice and struck out 8 times. He also has 2 SB.

RF Julian Yan is a guy who has been said to have some good tools but so far this year is off to a pretty poor start with 37 strikeouts compared to 22 hits, 6 doubles, 1 triple, and 1 HR. He has 6 SB but also has been caught 6 times as well.

CF Kyle Von Tungein isn't one of our top 20 prospects but he seems to display the most plate discipline of anyone on the team. Despite batting just .230 so far he has close to a .400 OBP because he has walked 23 times compared to 14 strikeouts, he also has 9 SB (caught 3 times).

Pitching:

Eddie Butler is the only starter worth talking about and he is certainly worth talking about as part of our future. While the rest of the rotation has an ERA in the high 5.00-6.00 range Eddie has a cool 2.06 ERA with 33 strikeouts compared to 17 hits (17 walks as well). And a WHIP of 0.97. He is clearly dominating opposing hitters while the rest of the rotation is struggling. He has given up 14 runs but only 8 of them have been earned as this is an extremely defensively challenged team at the moment (we are talking Chris Nelson looks like a gold glove candidate bad--when I said they were raw I meant raw).

Relief pitching has a few bright spots on this team-

Ryan Arrowood has notched 24 strikeouts in relief in 20 innings with 17 hits allowed and 6 walks.

Roberto Padilla has 12 strikeouts recorded through just 6.2 innings of work.

Patrick Johnson has 10 strikeouts recorded through his first 5 innings of work.

dgonaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Above was the Ashville Tourists stats our other single A affiliate the Modesto Nuts now follows. Again these guys are really really raw. The plus side to the Nuts is they aren't nearly as defensively challenged as the Tourists. The downside is the Nuts have some major issues with free swinging with 5 different starting position players with over 30 strikeouts already.

The hitters of note:

SS Trevor Story-- Has gotten off to a terrible start all around with poor hitting and fielding performances. He leads the team in errors with 5 and is batting a sad .152 so far.

Looking at the rest of the roster there isn't much else to talk about. This team has better defense but there really isn't much offense going on early on for this team. Catcher Wil Swanner is one of our top catching prospects but he is doing even more poorly with the bat than Story is and has two errors of his own.

Pitching:

OK now on to the good news out of this team. We have some guys that are pitching pretty well here.

SP Tyler Anderson--Has a nice 3.18 ERA and 1.08 WHIP with 36 strikeouts in 39.1 innings (walking 10).

SP Daniel Winkler--Has a nice 2.67 ERA and a great 0.91 WHIP. He also has 34 strikeouts compared to 8 walks in 35 innings.

RP Leuris Gomez has gotten only a little bit of work so far but has a perfect 0 ERA and a 0.38 whip through his first 5.1 inning along with 7 strikeouts compared to no walks.

67RedSox

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Will be keeping my eye on Story and Dahl in particular and Herrera is supposed to have some real upside potential. I haven't heard too much about Chad Bettis this year...wonder how he's doing.
Incidentally I read an article in Purple Row that cited a study that said Modesto's home park was the toughest in all Low A to AAA ball parks to hit a Home Run out of...at least it had the fewest so I hope the hitters don't get frustrated. The distances don't look too bad...it must be heavy air or the winds.
Also, as an aside re Minor League teams I love the logo on the Tulsa Drillers batting practice caps...I think it's one of the best in all of Baseball...Majors or Minors.