• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Sidney Crosby to have arthroscopic surgery of right wrist

Sportsguy9695

Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,718.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pittsburgh Penguins captain Sidney Crosby will have arthroscopic surgery on his right wrist to repair damage that "impeded his performance in the postseason," the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette has reported, citing a source close to the star.

The Post-Gazette reported the surgery -- a last resort if therapy did not resolve the issue -- was not a "major" procedure but that Crosby's injury wouldn't allow him to play up to his standard without it.

Crosby was the regular-season points leader with 104, but in the playoffs he had just one goal and eight assists in 13 games, a stretch in which it became evident there was tension between Crosby and coach Dan Bylsma. Bylsma and general manager Ray Shero were fired five years after winning the Stanley Cup.

Crosby was not expected to miss any regular-season games, the Post-Gazette reported.

Crosby won the NHL's MVP award after a season in which he played 80 games for the first time since the 2009-10 season.

Source: ESPN

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Figured there was something wrong with him during the playoffs. Best of luck to him, don't rush back, take the time to heal. Next season will be a waste anyways.

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lame excuse...what was the problem in the previous playoffs where he sucked???

Nothing but BS

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Nothing but BS

I doubt if he's getting surgery as an excuse Scouty. Let's just chill, he's still our captain.

3riverbabe

32 flavors & then some
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Figured there was something wrong with him during the playoffs. Best of luck to him, don't rush back, take the time to heal. Next season will be a waste anyways.

I thought the same. He was just going through the motions out there.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not surprised he had an issue. I just hope it doesn't linger next season.

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt if he's getting surgery as an excuse Scouty. Let's just chill, he's still our captain.

I didn't state my point clearly...the team is presenting this to allow it to be used as a possible excuse for his failings to score towards the end of the season and in the playoffs AGAIN. Remember he sucked the previous years series ender...

Sid is also quoted, during the playoffs, as saying he was 100%...and all players are dinged up that late in the season and after having had the Olympics. So I call BS, plus it' his right wrist:noidea:

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't state my point clearly...the team is presenting this to allow it to be used as a possible excuse for his failings to score towards the end of the season and in the playoffs AGAIN. Remember he sucked the previous years series ender...

Sid is also quoted, during the playoffs, as saying he was 100%...and all players are dinged up that late in the season and after having had the Olympics. So I call BS, plus it' his right wrist:noidea:

He did have a broken jaw last year tho.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

A guy's not going to let anyone know he's hurt in the playoffs. If he tells the media, "Yeah, my wrist is bothering me," there's a chance the other team tries to make it worse. Not necessarily with a dirty play like a slash, but with little things to put more pressure on his wrist, like pinning him against the boards when his hand is trapped.

Also, for a left-handed shot, the right wrist is the more important one. The left hand is just a guide. That's why righties shoot left-handed (if they were taught properly, that is, unlike me, who is all sorts of backwards). All the snap for a wrist shot, a pass, anything comes from the top hand. The bottom hand is a guide and applies pressure to increase the bend in the stick.

It does explain his reluctance to shoot from outside regularly, and the lack of zip on his passes.

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A guy's not going to let anyone know he's hurt in the playoffs. If he tells the media, "Yeah, my wrist is bothering me," there's a chance the other team tries to make it worse. Not necessarily with a dirty play like a slash, but with little things to put more pressure on his wrist, like pinning him against the boards when his hand is trapped.

Also, for a left-handed shot, the right wrist is the more important one. The left hand is just a guide. That's why righties shoot left-handed (if they were taught properly, that is, unlike me, who is all sorts of backwards). All the snap for a wrist shot, a pass, anything comes from the top hand. The bottom hand is a guide and applies pressure to increase the bend in the stick.

It does explain his reluctance to shoot from outside regularly, and the lack of zip on his passes.

So he must have had a limp wrist against the B's the previous playoffs:noidea::whistle: 2 goals in previous 20 playoff games...

Burghfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Nothing but BS
I'm with you on this one. He kept telling people he was 100% and now its oh, my wrist. Somebody needs to explain how a wrist injury made him stop skating, because there were long stretches where he wasn't hustling at all. He played three games in the Rangers series and the Pens won all three. After that it looked like he lost interest.

Ewa PGH Fan

Glade City, PA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hmmmmmm........I'm not sure what to think here. Any injury to your wrists will have some affect on your shot, passing, etc BUT how much of an affect??? It obviously wasn't serious enough to scratch him from any games so how bad could it have been during the playoffs anyway???

I'm starting to think it's one of those nagging injuries that isn't bad enough to fix with surgery immediately but if it doesn't get better you have to have it fixed so as not to start the next season with it lingering and possibly getting worse over time. I doubt we'll ever know for sure though.

Burghfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And guess what? He will forgo surgery and just go through some therapy. I'll admit that I'm a cynic but this doesn't smell right to me. Maybe his girlfriend dumped him, or he got a hold of some bad drugs, but he wasn't skating and he wasn't passing and he wasn't shooting like he usually did. I can kind of excuse the passing and shooting for the alleged wrist problem, but the skating?