• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Should the Pistons trade out of #1?

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Care Cunningham is the consensus #1 pick for the 2021 draft. But is he really head and shoulders better than the other top prospects? Both Houston and Cleveland have made some noise about being interested in the top pick, meaning Detroit could move down just a place or two, still getting a great pick, and pick up either other pieces and/or future picks.
Generally, I lean towards keeping the #1, taking Care who can fit at the 1-3 spot and see how things loom with the you g potential that they have. But I'm interested in hearing others' opinions on what the Pistons should/could do going into this (potentially) stacked draft class.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,101.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trade down to #3 or #4 and add some more talent/picks. It's not like they are 1 potentially great player away from being a good team again. They have several needs.

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 142,300.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I watched Cunningham a lot last year. I think he will be good but I think a couple guys could easily end up better than him. Pistons need assets I could see them making a deal.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe they should. The Pistons need all they can get. If they drop to #3 or #4, they can still get a potential star, plus they may be able to get another solid young player and/or another pick.

Reactions: DJ

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe they should. The Pistons need all they can get. If they drop to #3 or #4, they can still get a potential star, plus they may be able to get another solid young player and/or another pick.
I'm not sure the Listens are in as bad of shape as their record showed this season. They have a lot of young potential. Hayes at PG, Bey on the wing, Grant and Stewart up front, Diallo off the bench, and I haven't given up on Doumbouya. Add Cade into that is not too shabby, especially in the East.
However, Green and Mobley could fit just as easily especially if the right pieces were included in the deal. Sadly, I haven't seen enough of any of them to have any deep insight on the talent level difference.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure the Listens are in as bad of shape as their record showed this season. They have a lot of young potential. Hayes at PG, Bey on the wing, Grant and Stewart up front, Diallo off the bench, and I haven't given up on Doumbouya. Add Cade into that is not too shabby, especially in the East.
However, Green and Mobley could fit just as easily especially if the right pieces were included in the deal. Sadly, I haven't seen enough of any of them to have any deep insight on the talent level difference.

As a USC fan, I've seen a lot of Mobley.

The good: his talent is real. He has an AD (or close) ceiling. He's mobile, a decent shooter from 3 (he'll need to work on it to get to NBA standards though), he's a good passer and has solid handles. He's also a coaches kid, so he understands the game. Doesn't make a lot of mistakes. The word that pops into my head watching him play is "smooth". He has solid level of maturity. Never saw him get too high or too low.

The bad: he can be a little tentative. There were times at USC where he should have looked to take over a game, but wouldn't. It cost them a couple of games, imo. He's too light in the ass. He's going to need to spend some time in the weight room and eating all of the steaks and burgers he can get his hands on. He'll likely get pushed around early on by some the bigger guys in the league. It feels like he needs to become a better rebounder, but some of that may have been that he has a less talented, higher motor brother whose niche was rebounding and defense.

I think he could have used another year at USC, but when you're top 5...ya gotta go.

To be completely fair, he did pick up his intensity in the tournament and he was a true freshman, so it may have taken him to the tournament before he was comfortable in his role.

I don't think he'll have a lot of impact for his first couple of years. But if he's developed properly, he could be really good.

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The good: his talent is real. He has an AD (or close) ceiling. He's mobile, a decent shooter from 3 (he'll need to work on it to get to NBA standards though), he's a good passer and has solid handles. He's also a coaches kid, so he understands the game. Doesn't make a lot of mistakes. The word that pops into my head watching him play is "smooth". He has solid level of maturity. Never saw him get too high or too low.

The bad: he can be a little tentative. There were times at USC where he should have looked to take over a game, but wouldn't. It cost them a couple of games, imo. He's too light in the ass. He's going to need to spend some time in the weight room and eating all of the steaks and burgers he can get his hands on. He'll likely get pushed around early on by some the bigger guys in the league. It feels like he needs to become a better rebounder, but some of that may have been that he has a less talented, higher motor brother whose niche was rebounding and defense.

I think he could have used another year at USC, but when you're top 5...ya gotta go.

To be completely fair, he did pick up his intensity in the tournament and he was a true freshman, so it may have taken him to the tournament before he was comfortable in his role.

I don't think he'll have a lot of impact for his first couple of years. But if he's developed properly, he could be really good.
I only saw Mobley in the tournament, but that was exactly my assessment. I think he could be great if he added more hustle and attitude. Maybe fuse the two brothers together-lol. And maybe you are right, it is just his age, but if I'm taking someone in the top 5 as the Pistons I want someone who can be a clear #1, and that requires attitude that I haven't seen (in limited exposure) from Mobley, and it may just not be who he is.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I only saw Mobley in the tournament, but that was exactly my assessment. I think he could be great if he added more hustle and attitude. Maybe fuse the two brothers together-lol. And maybe you are right, it is just his age, but if I'm taking someone in the top 5 as the Pistons I want someone who can be a clear #1, and that requires attitude that I haven't seen (in limited exposure) from Mobley, and it may just not be who he is.

Agree. Maybe he can develop that attitude, but to this point, he seems like he could be a really good #2 option on a winning team.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,101.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

As a UCLA fan I can agree with most of what you said.

Smooth is a really good description of him.....but a poor man's AD.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldnt trade down unless you were a good team that had a ton of injuries which net you the top pick and another team was willing to trade you their super star for that top pick. The Pistons are in a build up with their organization besides this isnt the NFL where you can trade your top pick and receive a huge return because there is a huge value in having multiple picks in the 2nd and 3rd round.

In the NBA in general your lottery picks are your future stars, the end of the first round maybe early 2nd are your really good role players and after that you are just filling up your G league and bench.

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldnt trade down unless you were a good team that had a ton of injuries which net you the top pick and another team was willing to trade you their super star for that top pick. The Pistons are in a build up with their organization besides this isnt the NFL where you can trade your top pick and receive a huge return because there is a huge value in having multiple picks in the 2nd and 3rd round.

In the NBA in general your lottery picks are your future stars, the end of the first round maybe early 2nd are your really good role players and after that you are just filling up your G league and bench.
We are not talking about trading far down. Just 1 or 2 spots. The question really is if there is a big gap between #1 and #2 or #3. As you note, the Post one have needs, so getting a guy who is just or almost as good at 2 or 3 PLUS other players and/or future picks could be a better move depending on the package. No way they trade to the late first as you imply unless a franchise player is included and no one is taking that chance on Cade.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We are not talking about trading far down. Just 1 or 2 spots. The question really is if there is a big gap between #1 and #2 or #3. As you note, the Post one have needs, so getting a guy who is just or almost as good at 2 or 3 PLUS other players and/or future picks could be a better move depending on the package. No way they trade to the late first as you imply unless a franchise player is included and no one is taking that chance on Cade.

The thing is, in the NBA you need that superstar to build around.

If you think Cade is that superstar, you keep the pick. No assets acquired in the trade down is worth it.

Unless you think the player you land with the later pick will also be a superstar.

The Trae/Luka deal is the perfect example of the win/win trade down where both sides got what they wanted. Usually 1 side ends up being horribly wrong though

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing is, in the NBA you need that superstar to build around.

If you think Cade is that superstar, you keep the pick. No assets acquired in the trade down is worth it.

Unless you think the player you land with the later pick will also be a superstar.

The Trae/Luka deal is the perfect example of the win/win trade down where both sides got what they wanted. Usually 1 side ends up being horribly wrong though
This, exactly!

Is Cade a franchise player? Green, Mobley, or Suggs?

If you think Care is and none of the others, keep the pick.

If you're not sold on Cade, but are on one of the others, trade the pick and get some other pieces as well.

If you are not sold on any of them being a franchise cornerstone then it comes down to how much better you believe Cade is than the others and what is offered in return to compensate the perceived talent gap.

The formula is not rocket science, but assessing young players' future impact is near impossible.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably not.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
all true, especiially that early comment and that's really all it comes down to. IF there is a big gap as reported you likely stay. If not then, sure, consider dealing down.