• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Should Pace go after Golden?

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chicago Bears Can Score a Double-Digit Sack Artist For Pennies

I had no idea he was available and apparently available for so cheap, which of course makes me wonder if there isn't some underlying reason not stated as to why no other team has shown any interest to date, because he had a pretty damn good 2019, including a sack against us in our game against the Giants. He's no spring chicken, but he's still on this side of 30, so I don't see age as being a detriment.

I know the Bears have some cap issues and don't have a lot of wiggle room, but it appears he can be had for around $5mil or so. This would really give the team some tremendous depth on the edge. Man, on plays where it's 2nd or especially 3rd and long, imagine the opposing OL having to face a foursome of Mack, Hicks, Golden, and Quinn. That makes for one nasty-ass pass rush.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He would definitely be good depth help behind Mack/Quinn. Right now, everyone behind those two is a career SPT'er or has little/no experience. It really depends on what's going on with his market and if we have plans of another addition before camp. There's obviously other needs that we might wish to address before edge rusher where we have two all-pros.

It's sort of one of those "If we do it? Cool, I'm excited. If not? I won't even really think twice. We're in a good spot."

FWIW - I kind of doubt that we do sign him. I appreciate the thread to speculate about something right now, though. Not much going on until camp, at the moment.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that there are other areas of need for at least quality depth at the position (think OL and ILB). But you can never have too many talented pass rushers, and when you can get one such as Golden at potentially bargain basement prices, it's definitely worth exploring. Will we end up signing him? I doubt it. #1, Pace would probably have already been all over getting him inked by now if he was serious in pursuing him, or #2, maybe Pace already tried but Golden rejected any attempts, as he prefers the opportunity to sign with a team where he would clearly step in as a starter, which would not be the case with the Bears. Still, it makes for some nice posting fodder and like you said, there's not much else to talk about until things start to heat up in camp.

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No guarantee 5 million would make him up and move his family to the midwest when he has 4.125 in the back pocket...Just sayin'...

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No guarantee 5 million would make him up and move his family to the midwest when he has 4.125 in the back pocket...Just sayin'...
Stands to reason. But that's probably the max Pace could offer and this is assuming he's even interested. With no bidding wars in place, why offer anything beyond that?

BearsWillWin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel like any available funds, immediate or for the future, should be invested in the offense right now with the defense in a pretty good spot.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Considering how little we addressed the run game or oline I guess the more defense the better.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly think the o-line issues are of a schematic nature.
For sure. I think the scheme made them look really bad but also average is their ceiling talent wise. A average oline would be a vast improvement.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For sure. I think the scheme made them look really bad but also average is their ceiling talent wise. A average oline would be a vast improvement.

Meh, they were ranked 11th in 2018, before fully implementing Nagy's scheme.

Same with 2017 under Fox's last year. With ostensibly, the same lineup.

BearsWillWin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whitehair and Daniels have above average to Pro Bowl ability.

I’d rate Leno average on his best day and Massie the same or slightly below.

The question is who nails down the other guard spot and how effective they will be doing so.

Scheme is definitely a huge part of it. You gotta run a system that plays to your strengths. This line should be physically dominating people. That’s their strength. Nagy has tried to run a more finesse based scheme and it doesn’t benefit them.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whitehair and Daniels have above average to Pro Bowl ability.

I’d rate Leno average on his best day and Massie the same or slightly below.

The question is who nails down the other guard spot and how effective they will be doing so.

Scheme is definitely a huge part of it. You gotta run a system that plays to your strengths. This line should be physically dominating people. That’s their strength. Nagy has tried to run a more finesse based scheme and it doesn’t benefit them.

Leno was a "good/solid" OT his entire career until last year. Had just made a pro bowl. His durability alone makes him an asset so long as he isn't a liability out there (which he was last year - in the first half more so).

He got paid big time and had a child over last off-season. I genuinely think in the first half he just suffered from letting up a bit.

I expect a bounce back season. If Ifedi (or whomever) is an upgrade. I definitely don't hate the spot we're in.