• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Should Atlanta trade Matt Ryan and Julio Jones ?

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's face it . The D is awful . Even historically great years from both guys probably isn't getting you a playoff berth.

Both guys still have good value . Should the Falcons be looking to move them to gain picks? The D needs so much help it couldn't hurt to stockpile picks and I think plenty of teams would be interested

Julio, sure. They should have moved him already... but Ryan isn't going anywhere. And neither would work in a home field like Chicago. Domers are domers.

And take it from me. I spent 22 years with joker QBs, as the defense was always pretty good or very good.

Maybe Quinn is the problem.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Julio, sure. They should have moved him already... but Ryan isn't going anywhere. And neither would work in a home field like Chicago. Domers are domers.

And take it from me. I spent 22 years with joker QBs, as the defense was always pretty good or very good.

Maybe Quinn is the problem.
I think as to your last sentence, no maybes about it.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And covering about $100M in dead money shouldn't be a problem with the lower cap next year...

Exactly.

Zero chance either of them move this year because of the dead cap hits. Almost zero chance they get moved in the coming offseason for the same reason.

Dead cap hit for moving them this year would be $134m. Imposssible.

Trading them both in the coming offseason would generate an $87M dead cap hit.

Hell trading them during the 2022 offseason would still generate a $42M dead cap hit.

Like it or not, both guys will be playing for Atl for the next couple of years.

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's face it . The D is awful . Even historically great years from both guys probably isn't getting you a playoff berth.

Both guys still have good value . Should the Falcons be looking to move them to gain picks? The D needs so much help it couldn't hurt to stockpile picks and I think plenty of teams would be interested
What would you consider good value if they were traded?

Julio is often injured and 31 years old. I can't see a team giving up any more than a 3rd for him.

Matt Ryan is interesting. Great pocket passer, but the league seems to be leaning more toward QB's with the ability to run. Is Ryan going to garner any more than a 2nd or 3rd?

Although I do agree, the Falcons defense is horrendous, I am not sure packing it in at this point is the right move.

I will say, DeVandre Campbell has been great for the Cards this year. Not sure how the Falcons let him walk.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What would you consider good value if they were traded?

Julio is often injured and 31 years old. I can't see a team giving up any more than a 3rd for him.

Matt Ryan is interesting. Great pocket passer, but the league seems to be leaning more toward QB's with the ability to run. Is Ryan going to garner any more than a 2nd or 3rd?

Although I do agree, the Falcons defense is horrendous, I am not sure packing it in at this point is the right move.

I will say, DeVandre Campbell has been great for the Cards this year. Not sure how the Falcons let him walk.
Me either. He was by far our best LB last year

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They definitely need to start over after this season, especially if they don't make the playoffs...

Julio Jones to the Bengals would really help the development of Burrows... Green/Jones would be great for the future of a Franchise QB... They're not paying a QB top salary yet so they could very well spend the money on Jones to help their rookie out...
Why would a team that's not built to win now trade future picks?

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why would a team that's not built to win now trade future picks?
It's the NFL and things can turn in a hurry. The cards were 1-15, 2 years ago.

Not that 2 games in is any indicator of how their season will turn out, but they are a vastly improved team in a very short amount of time.

Balljim55

Abnormally Average
Hoopla Cash
$ 35,250.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #3
Start by trading your coach for a pack of covid masks.
how can your special teams players not know they can fall on the ball before it goes 10 yards???
thats a coaching issue

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trading either Jones or Ryan would pretty much be cap neutral for the Falcons. Trading Jones would add $200K in 2021. Trading Ryan would add $3.525M in 2021, but looking at the cap over a 3 year $580M span it's not a difference that would alter a trade/no-trade decision. The Falcons would be $3.525M worse off in 2021 and $3.525M better off in the future. It comes down to another team offering than the Falcons more than they think either player is worth to them. I don't see the Falcons selling low.

Brees#1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jones, yes. Ryan...he's been part of the choking.

Rowdy

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,828.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Redskins will trade you someone off the hands team for Jones. :thumb:

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why would Zona trade for Hopkins? Look at what it's done for their 2nd year QB...
Well, sure... If the Bengals can fleece the Falcons, I'm all for it.

Admittedly haven't really watched their games, but do they have a trash offensive line? Burrow needs a little help up front before a WR is going to help.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jones, yes. Ryan...he's been part of the choking.
Jones has cost Atlanta more games the last 5 years than Ryan has including last week with his drop of an easy TD. Love JJ but he drops some easy ass TD catches. I can think of 5 or 6 off the top of my head. Only issue I've had with Ryan is not audibling to a run in the SB but otherwise he was pretty flawless in that game and he's a top 5 all time QB in playoff QB rating.

That said JJ is likely the easier trade and definitely hurts Atlanta less as they've already got a WR1 in Ridley

Brees#1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jones has cost Atlanta more games the last 5 years than Ryan has including last week with his drop of an easy TD. Love JJ but he drops some easy ass TD catches. I can think of 5 or 6 off the top of my head. Only issue I've had with Ryan is not audibling to a run in the SB but otherwise he was pretty flawless in that game and he's a top 5 all time QB in playoff QB rating.

That said JJ is likely the easier trade and definitely hurts Atlanta less as they've already got a WR1 in Ridley
Atlanta was choking with their last two coaches. The Seattle game in 2012 playoffs was almost a choke, then the SF game became one. Even the next year, Atlanta found themselves almost losing to teams like the Bradford Rams after a big lead. Atlanta's been doing this can't finish a game stuff before Quinn was coach.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,796.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Might be time to blow it up......new GM and coach may decide on a rebuild.....trade Ryan and Jones for picks?

CaptainStubing

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The new regime is going to have some interesting decisions to make