• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Short and speedy seems to be the new order for Bears WRs

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First the FA signing of Marquise Goodwin. At 5'9" and 30 years of age, he's no longer a spring chicken, at least by NFL standards. But it's safe to assume he still has a set of wheels on him. Back in '13 his official combine time in the 40 was 4.27.

Yesterday the Bears signed a 1 year contract with 5'9" Damiere Byrd, 28, who had a pretty decent season last year with the Pats - 47 rec/604 yds. He clocked in at 4.28 back in the day.

And let's not forget we just drafted 5'11" Dazz "The Human Highlight Reel" Newsome. Not as fast, but good mitts and route discipline. Personally, I think the days are numbered for Javon Wims. And if I was Anthony Miller & Riley Ridley, I wouldn't be getting much sleep either.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First the FA signing of Marquise Goodwin. At 5'9" and 30 years of age, he's no longer a spring chicken, at least by NFL standards. But it's safe to assume he still has a set of wheels on him. Back in '13 his official combine time in the 40 was 4.27.

Yesterday the Bears signed a 1 year contract with 5'9" Damiere Byrd, 28, who had a pretty decent season last year with the Pats - 47 rec/604 yds. He clocked in at 4.28 back in the day.

And let's not forget we just drafted 5'11" Dazz "The Human Highlight Reel" Newsome. Not as fast, but good mitts and route discipline. Personally, I think the days are numbered for Javon Wims. And if I was Anthony Miller & Riley Ridley, I wouldn't be getting much sleep either.
And Mooney who's 5'11" 180lbs and fast...

Think Nagy/Pace are trying to find their versions of Hill.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And Mooney who's 5'11" 180lbs and fast...

Think Nagy/Pace are trying to find their versions of Hill.
I put out a post a while back where Mooney had pretty similar stats to Hill relative to their rookie years, respectively (too lazy to search for it, but it's here somewhere amongst the posts). This was not to suggest that Mooney will make the same leap that Hill made in his year 2, but it showed a foundation for what might be a solid career ahead of him.

Yeah, I'm liking the WRs Pace has signed this offseason, which I'm assuming is primarily for the benefit of Fields and that big friggin arm of his.

BsGenius

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It’s called a coincidence. Pace isn’t actively going out of his way to find shorter WRs (rolls eyes)

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Javon Wims shouldn't even have a day...much less numbered days.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Javon Wims shouldn't even have a day...much less numbered days.
I'm sticking with the opinion that Wims won't make it past training camp. And I'm this >< close to saying the same thing about Ridley.

RaZon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dameire Byrd a track guy has a 10.41 100m PR, that will work.

Saw Goodwin run a 100m a couple seasons ago, the jets have cooled.

Willie Gault the fastest Bears WR and Curtis Conway could motor. Both sub 10.30.

Last edited:

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dameire Byrd a track guy has a 10.41 100m PR, that will work.

Saw Goodwin run a 100m a couple seasons ago, the jets have cooled.

Willie Gault the fastest Bears WR and Curtis Conway could motor. Both sub 10.30.

Track guys don't always translate and vice versa. Football is a different sport.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Track guys don't always translate and vice versa. Football is a different sport.
I agree 100% and have often said that speed tends to be overrated when it comes to evaluating NFL prospects or veterans for that matter. I'll take great hands and crisp route running as my top two qualifications any day of the week and twice on Sundays. However, I get why the Bears might want to look at wideouts that can stretch the field. We finally have a QB who not only has the arm strength for downfield passes, but more importantly, the accuracy to go with it. Having a few receivers who'll have the ability to chase down those deep throws will force the opposing D to play more stretch defense.

RaZon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree 100% and have often said that speed tends to be overrated when it comes to evaluating NFL prospects or veterans for that matter. I'll take great hands and crisp route running as my top two qualifications any day of the week and twice on Sundays. However, I get why the Bears might want to look at wideouts that can stretch the field. We finally have a QB who not only has the arm strength for downfield passes, but more importantly, the accuracy to go with it. Having a few receivers who'll have the ability to chase down those deep throws will force the opposing D to play more stretch defense.

Larry Csonka got ya that 3rd and 2, Mercury Morris could break a 30 yarder at any time. Fred Biletnikoff was a chain mover, Cliff Branch the sudden strike. You need all types of players., yes ya need a guy who can go the distance, who can blow by a defender, ya also need that route runner with the sure hands. It takes different kinds of athletes.

We often see a different guy returning punts than kickoffs, a punt returner a make ya miss, quick cat a KO returner a speedster who if they hit a hole...gone.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not talking....track guys.....talking football players who also run track.

Ok...Football guys that run track...Means nothing still. Now, granted, in my track days I saw plenty of football players embarrass themselves on the track with strides that were almost unthinkable, but whether or not they were good on the track translated pretty much nil to what happened on the football field. So while it's nice that a guy like Willie Gault did both, had he never stepped on a track and devoted 100% of his time and talent to football, the results would have been similar. *shrugs*

RaZon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok...Football guys that run track...Means nothing still. Now, granted, in my track days I saw plenty of football players embarrass themselves on the track with strides that were almost unthinkable, but whether or not they were good on the track translated pretty much nil to what happened on the football field. So while it's nice that a guy like Willie Gault did both, had he never stepped on a track and devoted 100% of his time and talent to football, the results would have been similar. *shrugs*

Who is the most explosive WR in the game right now, yep, Tyreek Hill. He was a track star in HS/JUCO a Big12 60 Champ. Yes these guys athletic histories do matter.

You have no idea just how many of these NFLers were also hurdlers, long jumpers and sprinters either in HS or college or both.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who is the most explosive WR in the game right now, yep, Tyreek Hill. He was a track star in HS/JUCO a Big12 60 Champ. Yes these guys athletic histories do matter.

You have no idea just how many of these NFLers were also hurdlers, long jumpers and sprinters either in HS or college or both.

You should be nice to me...I'm probably one of the very few people on this forum that might actually post on that desolate track and field thread you try to bump every so often...

RaZon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You should be nice to me...I'm probably one of the very few people on this forum that might actually post on that desolate track and field thread you try to bump every so often...

Find it strange nobody here is into track, it is weird actually. And when I talk about it it's as if I;m speaking a foreign language, nobody understands it. Strange!

Track and football were made for each other.

Hell, Jim Thorpe a HOF footballer, an Olympic decathon gold medalist. Don Hutson the first stud WR, a 9.8 sprinter on that Bama track team.