• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Shaun Phillips

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to Ian Rappaport the Broncos are going to resign Shaun Phillips. So that is one piece of the puzzle down. Might be a while till the contract comes out but looks like he is one of the priorities with DRC.

MrDoc420

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good news. Dude had a very, very solid year.

I'm guessing this all but seals the end of Ayers in Denver, no?

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hope its only for 1 or 2 yrs max. Don`t need a SD situation. As far as Ayers goes......don`t see that happening unless its in the last cut due to someone else like Smith winning the spot and a rookie making big splash. Don`t think at this point they can really afford to lose him IMO of course

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Ayers returning depends on the extent of Wolfe and his injury. If Wolfe looks like he will never be the player that he was then Ayers is a nice signing to fill in that role as a stop gap. If Wolfe though is fully recovered then Ayers doesn't really serve much of a role but as a fill in. Right now as I see it the team will go into next season with Phillips, Jackson, Wolfe, Smith, and Miller all for the DE position. That doesn't leave a lot of room for other players. Plus I could see the Broncos maybe using a high draft pick on a guy for the position and moving Wolfe to full time DT if they could find a good pass rusher. We shall see.

WalkerBoh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Ayers returning depends on the extent of Wolfe and his injury. If Wolfe looks like he will never be the player that he was then Ayers is a nice signing to fill in that role as a stop gap. If Wolfe though is fully recovered then Ayers doesn't really serve much of a role but as a fill in. Right now as I see it the team will go into next season with Phillips, Jackson, Wolfe, Smith, and Miller all for the DE position. That doesn't leave a lot of room for other players. Plus I could see the Broncos maybe using a high draft pick on a guy for the position and moving Wolfe to full time DT if they could find a good pass rusher. We shall see.

I have high doubts Denver spends a high draft pick on a position they are so flush in at the moment. You just listed 5 players that would qualify to play DE and two spots to put them in. Four players if you keep Miller as LB. As for DT, no reason to put Wolfe there full time with Sylvester Williams and Terrance Knighton, along with Vickerson in the mix (Unrein too if he can be resigned for cheap). If they spend a high pick on defense (Likely) I expect to see it go to DB or LB. They may opt to use it on a WR too though. I also have doubts Ayers returns. He's a FA, they're flush at the position, and I just don't see why they would waste a contract on him. He really doesn't add much to the team. Now if Wolfe is a lost cause, then I see more DE emphasis, but I still doubt they resign Ayers. I'm very interested to see how Q. Smith does.

Looks like priorities are in keeping Phillips and DRC. Not bad, since Phillips won't be as expensive or as long term as other DE's would be on the FA market.

Again, what are the thoughts on bringing in Browner at CB? I bet he could be had with a minimal risk contract, yet the potential reward could be huge. Would be much cheaper to sign than a Verner, but possibly similar caliber.

Broncosr0k

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have high doubts Denver spends a high draft pick on a position they are so flush in at the moment. You just listed 5 players that would qualify to play DE and two spots to put them in. Four players if you keep Miller as LB. As for DT, no reason to put Wolfe there full time with Sylvester Williams and Terrance Knighton, along with Vickerson in the mix (Unrein too if he can be resigned for cheap). If they spend a high pick on defense (Likely) I expect to see it go to DB or LB. They may opt to use it on a WR too though. I also have doubts Ayers returns. He's a FA, they're flush at the position, and I just don't see why they would waste a contract on him. He really doesn't add much to the team. Now if Wolfe is a lost cause, then I see more DE emphasis, but I still doubt they resign Ayers. I'm very interested to see how Q. Smith does.

I am going to disagree that we are flush at the DE position. We have 4 bodies for 2 positions but our players come with huge question marks. Can Malik be a starter instead of a situational player? Can Wolfe come back from whatever he has? Phillips is a good player but how much life is left in his career? (I will admit I like this one, kind of grasping at straws) Can Q. Smith come in and be the pass rusher he was drafted to be? He is still a rookie and still needs to prove he can play at the NFL level. I don't think we need to spend big money in FA or reach in the draft but if it comes down to it and the BPA is a DE I will have no problems with that pick. A lot of the questions can only be answered by what the FO and coaching staff know.

Looks like priorities are in keeping Phillips and DRC. Not bad, since Phillips won't be as expensive or as long term as other DE's would be on the FA market.

I agree here. The only guy I would like would be Hardy and he is going to fetch a pretty penny.

Again, what are the thoughts on bringing in Browner at CB? I bet he could be had with a minimal risk contract, yet the potential reward could be huge. Would be much cheaper to sign than a Verner, but possibly similar caliber.

I like the idea. We can use all the DB help we can get.

BroncoInCALI

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a shame Ayers got hurt when he did this year, because he was starting to play well.

I would not mind re-signing him (at a cheap price), but I think we need to address the position even if we do bring him back.

WalkerBoh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am going to disagree that we are flush at the DE position. We have 4 bodies for 2 positions but our players come with huge question marks. Can Malik be a starter instead of a situational player? Can Wolfe come back from whatever he has? Phillips is a good player but how much life is left in his career? (I will admit I like this one, kind of grasping at straws) Can Q. Smith come in and be the pass rusher he was drafted to be? He is still a rookie and still needs to prove he can play at the NFL level. I don't think we need to spend big money in FA or reach in the draft but if it comes down to it and the BPA is a DE I will have no problems with that pick. A lot of the questions can only be answered by what the FO and coaching staff know.

I agree here. The only guy I would like would be Hardy and he is going to fetch a pretty penny.

I like the idea. We can use all the DB help we can get.

Yes, there are some question marks, and I mentioned that we could place more emphasis in DE if the need arises. However, I see that being played out more in the draft if that's the case. I would really be surprised if Ayers is offered another contract.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

See I am still of the You can never have enough pass rushers on a team. Look at the Super Bowl and just how little pressure we got. Now I understand 3 of the players I listed were not on the field and they next year will probably be 3 of our 4 best pass rushers with Wolfe, Smith, and Miller. Still there is a ton of DE talent that looks like it will be available at the end of the 1st that say we address the Defensive Backfield either through Verner or even Browner as you suggested then I could see going DE. Phillips is getting long in the tooth and we just don't know with the other guys as they all have question marks. The sign of a great team is one that can afford to use a high pick on a position that might not be the highest need but still is the best player. Heck right now with that first pick I am starting to get to the point that I would be ok with OL, WR, DL, MLB, Corner, or Safety. All of those could easily use an upgrade. Now some like Safety, Corner, MLB are probably more pressing but let's say one of those top WR's do fall in the draft...I wouldn't mind us drafting one and giving us another good weapon on the outside. Or OL say we lose Beadles then that leaves a big hole. Now I do think there will be some good talent at the OG position later in the draft but say there is a guy that has fallen some then why not make sure our OL is set for years to come. One of the biggest issues in the Super Bowl was the OL couldn't hold up in protection. DL again we lost Von, Wolfe, and Smith at different times throughout the year and a couple of those to serious injuries...Might not hurt to add in a young talent that can be situational but provide great depth at an important position.

Now about your Browner idea I could be on board with it giving him a 1 year prove it deal kind of like what we had with DRC. Gives us that physicality we have been lacking some and allows us to move Harris back inside where he definitely is our best Nickel Corner. I like the idea of adding a longer term solution at the position as we will be right back where we are this year next year if say we do sign Browner but sometimes all you can do is put a band aid on the wound and hope it holds up at a few positions.

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Iam just going to look at the problem spots thru out the yr. As far as offense, even without Clady, that Oline performed very well till SB. Manning hardly ever got touched and they had a very decent running game to boot. The prob is mostly on D side. I think if we have DRC,Harris, Holmes back, and Webster ( friggin rookie who`s going to really make leaps and bounds this off season when you think about how much expierience he garnished with all the playing time he got. Bringing Bailey back as Leader/situational/nickel role player.McCray could very well be a very good asset and then some. Actually am not as worried about backside play as I am with front 7. To me this yr was "huge improvement with push up middle but they just couldn`t sustain it in 2nd half and I think that caused alot of passing yds against us and hence blamed on secondary. I can`t believe what a crappy blitzing team Denver is/has been over the last decade. I`am just blown away in games when they blitz and they look like KeyStone cops out there. Bumping and falling over each other. Not saying they don`t have players to accomplish it but they need better coaching in how to blitz properly. Don`t tell me I`am the only one that notices this. I get excited when they blitz and then watch it progress and say" WTF!". They put as much pressure on qb as a 3 man rush would of or worse! I say.....get as many big quick manical front 7 guys as you can and find some attitude to go along with it. Obviously, Denvers offense got them to SB and because of Seattle DEFENSE they were nuetralized. Think about what was the cause to stop they most high scoring team in Nfl. Defense. Improve it, leave offense as untouched as possible and lets get a big boy D to compliment it. Easier said than done I know but I don`t think except for Decker/Moreno possible losses you need to fuck with the that side of the ball!!!!